MSG alumni night | The Boneyard

MSG alumni night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Why can't we have/cool things?

Why can't we have a big alum night hosted at MSG. Drinks dinner at 5. Girls play at 7 and guys at 9. Schedule a school with good brand power to come in with both of there teams so its very worth it to them and let's get it on. ESPN and other tv heads would dig that double header. Just a big uconn night. A real stake in NYC. Develop it. We need to stop talking about it and start acting/developing it. Starts with bright minds having nights like this. How many NYC alums does uconn have? How many more ppl commute from pa/nj/ct to NYC for work? How many fans will train in for this event? It's a gold mine. Warde and Susan don't have the brains or balls to do it. Simple as that. Money counter go bbbrrrr when u selling out the garden! Tv, perception massive fan base event etc its a no brainer unless you work for uconn.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We are already scheduled to play there twice this year (as I'm sure you know).

What more do you want? MSG isn't just going to dedicate a night to UConn.

A better idea would be to play a yearly tourney there with UConn, Syracuse, Rutgers and St. Johns.

Reaction Score

A better idea would be to play a yearly tourney there with UConn, Syracuse, Rutgers and St. Johns.
I like that tourney. The four locals and we're in four different leagues now.

I do believe that we need to think outside the box and "Dan" has many good ideas (especially the drinks at 5 part).

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

The tney we are playing in is a dam shame. The fact that warde thinks for a second that uconn should give even a possibility to bc of a bball game is a crime. We have almost nothing to hang on to right now and uconn bball not giving bc a game is one of them. Then he signs up for a tney with bc. It's a crime. He's doesn't get it. Ppl here are giving him pass after pass. We play md in Barclays not MSG which is what I think your thinking of? No one is going to make that trip on top of a fball game that night. Btw 2years in a row for that. At some point I beg ppl to wake up the nonsense here is unreal. Why don't we just play all bball games at the same times as fball games. Un real.

This tney is a 1 time thing that's wrong but never the less a 1 time thing. Uconn bball has enough brand power that I think a alum night event and both teams playing would be enough to get MSG for a night. That would be a significant thing IMHO in the city. I would fight for this tooth and nail. Imagine the recruits And so much more. Imagine walking into MSG with the big pictures of knick and rangers and there a pic of kembas shot with some sexy quote and a #uconn. Now go to Rucker and rent the billboard overlooking it and do a uconn thing. And so on.

Rutgers? Is that a joke? We would get smoked by red wearing fans the way this ad markets games. We may win by 39 but perception would be that Rutgers fans are the biggest and best in NYC. Your not thinking if you brought that to the table. Same with Cuse fans. They travel better because there ad's give a poop. That why it needs to be a uconn nit vs a out of towner. Uconn night. Not uconn and Sju or Cuse. Uconn night.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The tney we are playing in is a dam shame. The fact that warde thinks for a second that uconn should give even a possibility to bc of a bball game is a crime. We have almost nothing to hang on to right now and uconn bball not giving bc a game is one of them. Then he signs up for a tney with bc. It's a crime. He's doesn't get it. Ppl here are giving him pass after pass. We play md in Barclays not MSG which is what I think your thinking of? No one is going to make that trip on top of a fball game that night. Btw 2years in a row for that. At some point I beg ppl to wake up the nonsense here is unreal. Why don't we just play all bball games at the same times as fball games. Un real.

This tney is a 1 time thing that's wrong but never the less a 1 time thing. Uconn bball has enough brand power that I think a alum night event and both teams playing would be enough to get MSG for a night. That would be a significant thing IMHO in the city. I would fight for this tooth and nail. Imagine the recruits And so much more. Imagine walking into MSG with the big pictures of knick and rangers and there a pic of kembas shot with some sexy quote and a #uconn. Now go to Rucker and rent the billboard overlooking it and do a uconn thing. And so on.

Rutgers? Is that a joke? We would get smoked by red wearing fans the way this ad markets games. We may win by 39 but perception would be that Rutgers fans are the biggest and best in NYC. Your not thinking if you brought that to the table. Same with Cuse fans. They travel better because there ad's give a poop. That why it needs to be a uconn nit vs a out of towner. Uconn night. Not uconn and Sju or Cuse. Uconn night.

I was just counting the MSG games. I believe we end up playing 2 of Indiana, BC or Washington.

MSG is never going to go for a UConn only night. It's just not realistic. Nobody would show up for the women's game and then you risk losing any fans UConn would otherwise bring by having a 9:30pm tip at MSG ( see NC State this year).

The reason why the tourney i proposed is even somewhat feasible is because as exactly you said yourself, the games would be a hot ticket.

A double header of UConn Rutgers and St John's Cuse would be talked about and well attended in the city. UConn women vs whoever and UConn men vs whoever is just one of a litany of early season games hosted at MSG.

Reaction Score
I was just counting the MSG games. I believe we end up playing 2 of Indiana, BC or Washington.

MSG is never going to go for a UConn only night. It's just not realistic. Nobody would show up for the women's game and then you risk losing any fans UConn would otherwise bring by having a 9:30pm tip at MSG ( see NC State this year).

The reason why the tourney i proposed is even somewhat feasible is because as exactly you said yourself, the games would be a hot ticket.

A double header of UConn Rutgers and St John's Cuse would be talked about and well attended in the city. UConn women vs whoever and UConn men vs whoever is just one of a litany of early season games hosted at MSG.

Yeah, but Syracuse won't do that. Do not underestimate for one second how relieved they are to get away from the cloud of UConn that has hung over their heads for the past 25 years. UConn's prolonged dominance, from championships to players going pro, is astounding. Syracuse wants nothing to do with keeping UConn on any platform on which they stand, even a meaningless tournament in MSG in December.

Reaction Score
So in a matter of 2 posts, we're advocating having a Uconn night at MSG and then bashing Warde Manuel for accepting an invite to a tournament at MSG.

I don't care if the other teams in the 2K Sports Classic are BC, the BC women, and the BC soccer team. If you have the chance to play 2 games at MSG the first year after losing the Big East Tournament, you accept blindly.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So in a matter of 2 posts, we're advocating having a Uconn night at MSG and then bashing Warde Manuel for accepting an invite to a tournament at MSG.

I don't care if the other teams in the 2K Sports Classic are BC, the BC women, and the BC soccer team. If you have the chance to play 2 games at MSG the first year after losing the Big East Tournament, you accept blindly.

Agreed.

The Barclays Center game would've been a great idea aside from 7 nights the whole entire year. I get that UConn probably has to take that game, but still it really sucks not to be able to go.

Reaction Score
it would be nice to see uconn have more of an marketing presence in Fairfield county. Like advertising uconn games, or just uconn in general on the metro north trains, and stations. but i agree, uconn definitely needs to capitalize on its proximity to NYC

Reaction Score
Agreed.

The Barclays Center game would've been a great idea aside from 7 nights the whole entire year. I get that UConn probably has to take that game, but still it really sucks not to be able to go.

Conflicting with the football game is far from ideal, but you're right in that they had to take that game too. First college basketball game of the year - there may be Uconn fans unable to attend, but there will be eyes on the television sets.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

msg i a 1off this year. i want yearly nyc uconn night that draws a sellout to both dinner and the games. i think thats completely possible.

rugers basketbal wants no part of anyone. cuse and sju have already scheduled msg games and want no part of uconn. only prov has reched out to us and marq also. thats it. ppl here need to drop the BE friendly atitude. the league blew up finally and the private schools said to uconn. end of story.

uconn night needs to be a conn only ticket where a road eam comes in ad gets 3-5kalums to sho up the the games. we need to put 20k+in the place. doable in one big mash of alum and bball teams with some effort.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

playing once in a tney vs anyone is no big deal, we live down the street. having a yearly event makes noise.

playing bc is a slap in the face to JC and this schools base who have held proud our beat downs of them in the past. they wont play us in fotball, its a crime we folded in bball. any way u want to spin that, i have a little kid from africa i just adopted and i need all the money in yor wallet right now.

a fal tney is suposed to be a travel event. not msg. maui and 4 others shuld be th rotation and msgshould not be in that. atlantis, disney sould be 2of the 4 sots. conn has majo brand power, e should have a set 5 ar rotation.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
msg i a 1off this year. i want yearly nyc uconn night that draws a sellout to both dinner and the games. i think thats completely possible.

rugers basketbal wants no part of anyone. cuse and sju have already scheduled msg games and want no part of uconn. only prov has reched out to us and marq also. thats it. ppl here need to drop the BE friendly atitude. the league blew up finally and the private schools said to uconn. end of story.

uconn night needs to be a conn only ticket where a road eam comes in ad gets 3-5kalums to sho up the the games. we need to put 20k+in the place. doable in one big mash of alum and bball teams with some effort.

Again, good idea but UConn isn't bringing 15k fans to a weeknight game at MSG, especially if you're forced into having to buy a women's ticket.

You realize we brought that for Friday night/ Saturday night Big East championship games? We didn't even have 15k at our own damn building when Louisville was here ranked 1.

There are literally hundreds of things to complain about in the UConn AD and marketing department, the basketball scheduling isn't one of them.

Reaction Score
a fal tney is suposed to be a travel event. not msg. maui and 4 others shuld be th rotation and msgshould not be in that. atlantis, disney sould be 2of the 4 sots. conn has majo brand power, e should have a set 5 ar rotation.

The point of the early season tournaments is to play 2-3 neutral court games against good teams.

Some of the teams that have played in the 2K Sports Classic in the last 5 years: Duke, UNC, Ohio State, Syracuse, UCLA, Michigan, Arizona, Pitt, Maryland, Texas....and now Uconn and Indiana. People fall over themselves to play in these "bigger" tournaments and anything at MSG is on the list.

Possibly the biggest thing other coaches are going to use to negatively recruit against us is that we'll be playing our conference tournaments in Memphis instead of New York City. I like to think that Kevin Ollie is telling recruits that Uconn is going to play more games in NYC this year than half the teams in the Big East.

Reaction Score
It's still funny that HFD thinks it would be so easy to draw these huge crowds and sell out every game, yet as a self-proclaimed "diehard", he doesn't even show up to games.

D

Deleted member 3149

I was at the NC State game last year and I'd say there were more NC State fans than UConn. Cool idea, but no way it would work. You guys forget how big the garden is and how it's further away than you think. People complain about driving to XL Center for crying out loud. A good idea was posted earlier, UConn, St Johns, Rutgers, Cuse showdown. That'd be legit, especially since we're all in different conferences and used to all be in Big East

Reaction Score
Since we are New England's College Team why not schedule a few games at TD Bank Garden? maybe against Ohio or Mich St just to show the Big 10 or w/e they're called that UConn not only brings CT but also NY and Mass.

Reaction Score
Since we are New England's College Team why not schedule a few games at TD Bank Garden? maybe against Ohio or Mich St just to show the Big 10 or w/e they're called that UConn not only brings CT but also NY and Mass.

Play Syracuse on a rotating basis at MSG, Barclays, TD Garden, and the Prudential Center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom