Mrs. America (Hulu) | The Boneyard

Mrs. America (Hulu)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Has anyone else watched this? This is a strange miniseries that has some incredible moments. It follows parallel but conflicting tracks of the women's liberation movement led by Gloria Steinem, Bella Abzug and Betty Freidan, and the counter revolution led by Phyllis Schlafly, throughout the 70's. I have read it is relatively accurate, and it provides some depth to people who were the main characters in a very important story that does not get covered much 4 decades later.

Some of it misses, and some of it feels like a documentary, but every episode has moments that are really compelling.

The acting is pretty good. Cate Blanchette is excellent as usual as Phyllis Schlafly. I go back and forth on Rose Byrne as Gloria Steinem. The character is interesting, but it feels like Byrne is doing a Gloria Steinem impression at times. The rest of the cast is pretty good. Uzo Aduba won an Emmy, which was reasonable. Ari Graynor is awesome in everything I have seen her. I would have thought she would be at least a B list leading actress by now, but her window to break out is closing. She has a very distinctive look and is a great actress, but just hasn't found the right role yet to catapult her to the next level.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I found it interesting. Somewhat entertaining. Thought they covered both sides equally without really making judgements either way.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I found it interesting. Somewhat entertaining. Thought they covered both sides equally without really making judgements either way.

There was some judgment at the end. Both sides got abandoned by their male allies once they didn't need them anymore. Carter fired Abzug and Reagan dumped Schlafly after Schlafly had been really important in getting Reagan the nomination.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam
Top Bottom