Mr. SEC blog - Countdown to super-conferences... | The Boneyard

Mr. SEC blog - Countdown to super-conferences...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting read found here.
Uconn looking good in terms of revenue vs. expansion competition but then there was this comment we have heard before
"Since 1999, UConn has won three NCAA basketball tournaments and been to a BCS bowl game. But the Big Ten and ACC have both balked at adding the Huskies in recent years. (The Big Ten because UConn isn’t an AAU school and the ACC because Boston College has fought to be the only league member in New England.)"

Reaction Score
We're on the B1G's radar. Not according to me. According to someone who is very closely tied in with the B1G. What a goof.

Looking at those revenue numbers, if we were in a more powerful conference, our numbers would be up there. Easily.

ODU is #1 in the new C-USA? Wow. They have a future.

Reaction Score
We're on the B1G's radar. Not according to me. According to someone who is very closely tied in with the B1G. What a goof.

Looking at those revenue numbers, if we were in a more powerful conference, our numbers would be up there. Easily.

I've been talking about UConn's revenues for a while now, and if you look at them, the licensing money is through the roof. It's the biggest part of the budget, and dwarfs that of most of America.

UConn is a powerful brand. It has a captive audience in the state. It brings something to the table in that respect that BC, Cuse, Ville, etc., cannot.

Reaction Score
Interesting read found here.
Uconn looking good in terms of revenue vs. expansion competition but then there was this comment we have heard before
"Since 1999, UConn has won three NCAA basketball tournaments and been to a BCS bowl game. But the Big Ten and ACC have both balked at adding the Huskies in recent years. (The Big Ten because UConn isn’t an AAU school and the ACC because Boston College has fought to be the only league member in New England.)"

If we were located 200 miles south and 150 miles west. We would have been snapped up ages ago.

Bloggers do a better job at selling this school than the school does.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I've been talking about UConn's revenues for a while now, and if you look at them, the licensing money is through the roof. It's the biggest part of the budget, and dwarfs that of most of America.

UConn is a powerful brand. It has a captive audience in the state. It brings something to the table in that respect that BC, Cuse, Ville, etc., cannot.

I have at least anecdotal evidence that this is the case. I live in Eastern PA. You know what college sports gear I can buy here in Walmart? Penn State and UConn that's it... not Temple, not Villanova, not Rugers, not even Pitt... Penn State and UConn consistently. The same thing holds true with Sports Authority and Dick's. There's more variation but the two most heavily stocked items are Penn State and UConn. My point is... we are probably second most profitable branded northeastern university.. It just maddens me that we're stuck in such a position.

Reaction Score

You're talking about them. But nobody else with influence is. That's the problem.

Fight back with facts, rational explanation and persistence. In the meantime find a national columnist and put him on the payroll, kiss his. Have Geno send him personalized X-Mas cards.

Our ability to shape our identity in the public sphere sucks!

Why are we talking about being aspirational? How many other schools can claim they won 11 NCs in Men's and Women's Hoop? People should aspire to be us!

Reaction Score
I have at least anecdotal evidence that this is the case. I live in Eastern PA. You know what college sports gear I can buy here in Walmart? Penn State and UConn that's it... not Temple, not Villanova, not Rugers, not even Pitt... Penn State and UConn consistently. The same thing holds true with Sports Authority and Dick's. There's more variation but the two most heavily stocked items are Penn State and UConn. My point is... we are probably second most profitable branded northeastern university.. It just maddens me that we're stuck in such a ****ty position.

Sorry, but as a resident of Wayne, PA...just two towns over from Villanova, I call BS on this.

Penn State and Villanova stuff can be found everywhere. I mean everywhere hear. Not saying RU gear is available, because it is not. But I have never seen anything for UCONN at my Walmart near the King of Prussia Mall. It is all Penn State and Villanova with a little Temple and Penn thrown in. The Sports Authority on 202 in King of Prussia is the exact same way. Nearly completely dominated by Penn State and Villanova.

Reaction Score
You're talking about them. But nobody else with influence is. That's the problem.

Fight back with facts, rational explanation and persistence. In the meantime find a national columnist and put him on the payroll, kiss his. Have Geno send him personalized X-Mas cards.

Our ability to shape our identity in the public sphere sucks!

Why are we talking about being aspirational? How many other schools can claim they won 11 NCs in Men's and Women's Hoop? People should aspire to be us!
This was my point in an earlier thread. Its nice for Herbst to say that fans should be proud.
Perception is reality. UConn has allowed others to shape its perception. Why hasn't there been a constant barrage announcing UConn s accomplishments and merrits the last two years?

Three men's national titles in the last twelve years. Countless women's ball titles. We've been in good baseball soccer etc. On top of that were a top 25 national public university. Our peer group is michigan , UNC, uva etc. Were not a glorified cc .

UConn has failed miserably in shaping the university perception.

caw

Reaction Score
Sorry, but as a resident of Wayne, PA...just two towns over from Villanova, I call BS on this.

Penn State and Villanova stuff can be found everywhere. I mean everywhere hear. Not saying RU gear is available, because it is not. But I have never seen anything for UCONN at my Walmart near the King of Prussia Mall. It is all Penn State and Villanova with a little Temple and Penn thrown in. The Sports Authority on 202 in King of Prussia is the exact same way. Nearly completely dominated by Penn State and Villanova.

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and suggest the first poster is in a different part of PA.

Reaction Score
Part 2 is now on this blog. This time they are looking at research $ and eyeballs.
"
Connecticut
Cable Households in Connecticut: 1,146,780
Top 100 in Research Expenditures: No
AAU Member Institution: No
Summary: Much like Boston College, UConn is hurt by its location in the far reaches of the Northeast. The Big Ten has already chosen to abscond with Rutgers rather than Connecticut and that’s telling. Entry into a trying-to-strengthen itself ACC would appear to be the Huskies’ best hope for landing in a power conference in the future… should the ACC be a power conference in the future."

Reaction Score
Part 2 is now on this blog. This time they are looking at research $ and eyeballs.
"
Connecticut
Cable Households in Connecticut: 1,146,780
Top 100 in Research Expenditures: No
AAU Member Institution: No
Summary: Much like Boston College, UConn is hurt by its location in the far reaches of the Northeast. The Big Ten has already chosen to abscond with Rutgers rather than Connecticut and that’s telling. Entry into a trying-to-strengthen itself ACC would appear to be the Huskies’ best hope for landing in a power conference in the future… should the ACC be a power conference in the future."

I don't agree with that. It doesn't make sense to blow off all of New England and 30% of New York. The statistics work in our favor. We just need to keep winning and market ourselves like crazy. I really want to see awesome UConn commercials running during B10 games. Best way to educate their fans.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

*shrug* I can walk into the Walmart here in the Lehigh Valley and grab a UConn shirt and a UConn pillow today... and it's not the only place I've seen that here. I know it's anecdotal... but I still think there's some signifigance in that... still no Villanova stuff up here to speak of outside of sporting goods stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom