Move Jackson to full time pg | The Boneyard

Move Jackson to full time pg

Reaction Score
I’m sorry but Newton has been drastically inconsistent. Perhaps a change in dynamics will be the change of balance we need.
C sanogo
F kalabran
G alleyne
G hawkins
G Jackson
C clingan
G newton
G Joey c
G diarra

But Jackson has to stay under control and push the ball more towards the basket than Newton

Reaction Score
I kind of agree.
I wonder if we Should just go with
C- clingan
F sanogo
G karaban
G Hawkins
G Jackson

wouod help defense and rebounding
I’m not sure that’s the defensive juggernaut you think it is. That lineup gives up a ton of foot speed at the 3 and 4 to most teams.

Reaction Score
Jackson needs to try to consistently take the ball to the hoop and force a shot instead of always trying to make creative passes. His finish should be a thundering dunk rather that the raindrop shots that he consistently misses. Even if he misses it will increase the chances of us getting some free throws and will open up the court for better outside shots.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Karaban is a tweener on defense. Not sure he has the athleticism/foot speed to consistently guard the 3 and he struggles with strong athletic 4s.

Reaction Score
I kind of agree.
I wonder if we Should just go with
C- clingan
F sanogo
G karaban
G Hawkins
G Jackson

wouod help defense and rebounding
Karaban going to be able to defend wings and guards that are sliding up to the 3?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Any player who has demonstrated the ability to make a shot that goes directly toward or down from above the rim should start there: Jackson, Sanogo, Hawkins, Karaban, Newton. Good things will happen. (See: Clingan, Donovan)

Make the shot, take the contact, draw the foul, sink the free throws, disrupt the opponent's lineups & rotations, tire them out.

And then add a kick out, hand off game in which open shooters will take well setup shots. None of this is new. We have already seen all of this

Reaction Score
New rotation:

Jackson- Diarra
Newton- Calc
Hawk- Alleyne
Sanogo- Karaban
Clingan- Johnson

AJ needs to be our starting PG so Newton can get his head right. let him play off-ball as a combo guard. like what i saw with sanogo and clingan playing together. let's go all in with our two best players on the floor as much as possible. i want to get back to beating teams up with rebounding and shot blocking.

Reaction Score
For a team struggling with penetration and breaking down defenders, moving Newton off ball makes sense for now. In an ideal world, he is the point guard, but we need to play to his strengths when the offense is going dry. He is one of the best offensive weapons

Reaction Score
New rotation:

Jackson- Diarra
Newton- Calc
Hawk- Alleyne
Sanogo- Karaban
Clingan- Johnson

AJ needs to be our starting PG so Newton can get his head right. let him play off-ball as a combo guard. like what i saw with sanogo and clingan playing together. let's go all in with our two best players on the floor as much as possible. i want to get back to beating teams up with rebounding and shot blocking.
One thing it would do is guarantee we'd own the paint and rebounding. Id rather give up a little 3 point fg defense to sure up the paint. We can playa tad more methodical on offense and look for better shots.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don’t want a point guard. I liked what Hurley was doing in November. Get the ball up the court as quickly as possible and attack the basket with the pass. THAT is how you get quality 3 looks, by forcing the defense to collapse at the hoop.

Stop dribbling the ball up the court. All it does is give the defense time to set up. Pay at a fast pace, and our depth will be decisive.

Reaction Score
I put this in another thread, but I guess it more belongs here. I don't understand the thoughts of Jackson at the point. What can he do with the ball in his hands? He's not a shooter and not a penetrator. All you have to do is play off him and wait for him to pass.

Effective PGs can be many different things, but I think the main thing is to be a guy that is a triple threat with the ball. He needs to be a decent enough shooter to have to play up him. Then, he has to be a threat to get to the rim. If you are good enough defensively to keep him from getting to the rim, then he will find the open man where the help came from. You don't have to help to the basket on Jackson.

I hope he develops his game to be an effective PG, but I don't see it right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jackson is what he has always been. Great Physical specimen who isn’t that good as a basketball player. He can make highlight reel dunks but regularly gets beaten by his man going to the rim and opposing teams basically don’t defend him outside of 6 feet. They will let him take 3s all day long knowing he will mainly miss.

Reaction Score
Jackson needs to try to consistently take the ball to the hoop and force a shot instead of always trying to make creative passes. His finish should be a thundering dunk rather that the raindrop shots that he consistently misses. Even if he misses it will increase the chances of us getting some free throws and will open up the court for better outside shots.
I agree, but I don't think AJax has confidence in shooting 2 pt shots in the lane, or anywhere, that are not dunks. If he is driving to the hoop he would rather pass than shoot 10 out of 10 times and especially in clutch or high leverage situations.

I like that he is shooting 3s more, but only when he is open and the opposition is daring him and he can take his time to shoot them like vs Nova and the first 5-6 attempts against Xavier where he was 3 out of 5 or 6 to start the game. When he hit that step back to start the 2nd half against Xavier it was good in the moment but bad in the longer run up to this point. It made him over confident and he started firing away after that, which is not what he should do.

Reaction Score
I love Andre but if he wants to be the guy, he has to be on the court for more than 21 minutes

Reaction Score
Jackson is what he has always been. Great Physical specimen who isn’t that good as a basketball player. He can make highlight reel dunks but regularly gets beaten by his man going to the rim and opposing teams basically don’t defend him outside of 6 feet. They will let him take 3s all day long knowing he will mainly miss.
I would argue that Andre Jackson is a great basketball player, despite his limited offensive game. He impacts the game constantly. When he is not in foul trouble, UConn is a completely different team.

Reaction Score
I agree, but I don't think AJax has confidence in shooting 2 pt shots in the lane, or anywhere, that are not dunks. If he is driving to the hoop he would rather pass than shoot 10 out of 10 times and especially in clutch or high leverage situations.

I like that he is shooting 3s more, but only when he is open and the opposition is daring him and he can take his time to shoot them like vs Nova and the first 5-6 attempts against Xavier where he was 3 out of 5 or 6 to start the game. When he hit that step back to start the 2nd half against Xavier it was good in the moment but bad in the longer run up to this point. It made him over confident and he started firing away after that, which is not what he should do.
His mechanics are too flawed to (ever) be a high percentage (e.g. 35 - 40 %) shooter on any "sustained" basis and he may be too old now to change his mechanics (limiting his NBA prospects), but he has incredible skills and values as well, so he's a puzzle to be solved and Hurley is starting to experiment with solutions. If there were a natural PG (Diarra comes the closest), then Jackson would probably be your 6th man defensive stopper and offensive catalyst. But I assume that he remains the starter based on his extraordinary value but that means that a team that is not a great shooting team to begin with has to compensate for a non-shooter. So you need Hawkins and Karaban to maintain consistency as shooters. Then against big lineup teams , you start Clingan in the post and Sanogo at PF (sometimes going high/low to give each some post work and let Sanogo get NBA ready by perfecting his already good outside shot. Then you just decide or rotate Jackson and Diarra at PG, and let others (Joey C, Newton, Alleyne, Johnson) compete with or share with Karaban based on who can shoot the ball that night

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If UConn wants to use a true PG why did they take the 3 they did in the portal and not one of them works? Unbelievable.
I would use Diarra (defense and speed) and tell him that his main job is to bring the ball as quickly as possible and hit an open man - do not shove it down the key where AS is surrounded by 3 opponents.
AJax does not have the discipline to be a PG. I see the PG to be a triple threat in the following; capable of handling the ball with their head up and eyes open, effective in feinting and passing with accuracy, control tempo when needed - as an additional must - leadership that is understood and unwavering. Shooting skills, to me - not that important (see T Brown)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom