Mountain West Considers Cutting Cord In Next TV Deal; ESPN/CBS Offer To Extend Deal At Same Price | The Boneyard

Mountain West Considers Cutting Cord In Next TV Deal; ESPN/CBS Offer To Extend Deal At Same Price

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Mountain West considers cutting cord in next TV deal

Fans across the Mountain West are grumbling more and more about the league's late-night games.

Attendance at those games is declining, and administrators are beginning to question whether the $1.1 million a year most are receiving from the league's broadcast partners — CBS-Sports Network and ESPN — are worth the additional exposure.

The conference might even cut the cord entirely, going the way of millions of millennials and others who are dropping their cable and satellite TV packages in favor of digital alternatives, when its current contracts expire after the 2019-2020 school year. Five of the largest pay-TV providers in the country lost a combined 527,000 subscribers in the second quarter of this year alone, Reuters reported Friday.

Craig Thompson, the Mountain West's commissioner since its start in 1999-2000, said the conference could have just as much reach with a digital-only package as it has with its current mix of partners. But he's not sure a digital-only option could replace the revenue conference schools currently receive from their 10-year deals worth $116 million.

So Thompson and the athletic directors of the MW's 12 football-playing schools are taking a closer look at all the options before agreeing to any new media rights deals. CBS-Sports Network and ESPN, he said, have offered to extend the current deals under the same financial terms, but the MW is in no rush to renew. Those discussions won't take place for another 18 months or so, he said, giving the conference time to better understand and explore the options.

"The real key there is going to be monetization," Thompson said Wednesday at the MW's football media days. "We need the revenue."

Coaches like playing games on national television, even if it is networks with limited viewership, such as CBS-Sports Network and ESPNU. It helps spread their brand.

But they also like the wide reach of the digital broadcasts, allowing recruits and their families to tune in from anywhere in the country at any time on whatever Internet-connected device they have available.

Reaction Score
I call their bluff. MW is just trying to get more money from ESPN and CBS Sports Network.

Being on tv is a must of any conference.

Reaction Score
I call their bluff. MW is just trying to get more money from ESPN and CBS Sports Network.

Being on tv is a must of any conference.
Times are changing. Who doesn't have a smart tv or similar smart device these days, and doesn't watch programming from sources outside of traditional TV/cable?

My latest Ozark, on Netflix.

Reaction Score
They should be able to get more from ESPN. I enjoy Mountain West games and they fill a night time void. ESPN is walking a fine line with the G5. They need these conferences to have a reasonable ability to compete monetarily so they can put a competitive product on the field/court. If they can't, ESPN will have garbage to broadcast.

I would like to see the AAC and MWC get decent deals that give them the ability to compete and for ESPN to hype up their competiveness. I would say this even if UCONN were in the Big Ten. I like more compelling sports on tv at more hours of the day, especially football. I watch quite a few late night Mountain West games and I find them very entertaining much of the time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Times are changing. Who doesn't have a smart tv or similar smart device these days, and doesn't watch programming from sources outside of traditional TV/cable?

My latest Ozark, on Netflix.

Millions upon millions?

Reaction Score
Millions upon millions?
All those cord cutters are going somewhere. They are just using different mediums to watch their content. We are in the early stages of this still. I understand cable is still #1, by a wide margin but they've (networks) have painted themselves into a corner with rights fees.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
All those cord cutters are going somewhere. They are just using different mediums to watch their content. We are in the early stages of this still. I understand cable is still #1, by a wide margin but they've (networks) have painted themselves into a corner with rights fees.

There are a million issues but going 100% streaming is going to lock you out of tens of millpns of viewers.

You've got those that don't stream and those that watch you passively on national TV but aren't going looking for you.

This is just posturing because the contract is so low. Anyone who has visions of sugarplumbs dancing in their AAC head should understand this is going to go the same way for us.

Reaction Score
There are a million issues but going 100% streaming is going to lock you out of tens of millpns of viewers.

You've got those that don't stream and those that watch you passively on national TV but aren't going looking for you.

This is just posturing because the contract is so low. Anyone who has visions of sugarplumbs dancing in their AAC head should understand this is going to go the same way for us.
I wouldn't call it visions of sugar plums. The networks are not going to significantly raise their offer. The future for them and us will likely be a combination of network and streaming to get the most money.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I wouldn't call it visions of sugar plums. The networks are not going to significantly raise their offer. The future for them and us will likely be a combination of network and streaming to get the most money.

Some people still think 300/400% increases are plausible.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Think of streaming as further fragmentation that started with cable tv.

It isn't going to grab more eyeballs so any media rights value will be further diminished.

The value here is control over your schedules and getting a premium from your hardcore fans. The schedule thing will be trickier for the G5 if they are not on the same platforms as the P5, even if Nick Saban is wrong and the P5 still allows revenue games.

If UConn can charge a $100/yr for all sports programming, they can likely realize close to P5 money if they can reach 1M subscribers once they split it with the production outfit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Some people still think 300/400% increases are plausible.
Not a fair comparision. MWC is G5, while we, as a part of the P6 should certainly command more. :rolleyes:

Bottom line, without another bidder, I can't see our offer going up either. The best we can hope for is to get our Tier 3 back so we can monetize the rest of programs.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Not a fair comparision. MWC is G5, while we, as a part of the P6 should certainly command more. :rolleyes:

Bottom line, without another bidder, I can't see our offer going up either. The best we can hope for is to get our Tier 3 back so we can monetize the rest of programs.
Ironically, getting our tier 3 back will net us a 200-300% increase in annual TV revenue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom