Most popular sport listed by country | The Boneyard

Most popular sport listed by country

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I thought this was interesting (well at least summer dead period interesting).

Afghanistan — Cricket.
Anguilla — Boatracing.
Antigua and Barbuda — Cricket.
Australia — Australian Football. This is a sport that’s kind of like a cross between American football (the ball is an oval and you can throw the ball around) and association football (there’s more kicking than in American football). It’s also sometimes played on a cricket pitch.
The Bahamas — Basketball. The national sport of the Bahamas is cricket, but the most popularare basketball and American football.
Bangladesh — Cricket.
Barbados — Cricket.
Bhutan — Archery.
Canada — Ice Hockey.
China — Basketball. Though in China, it’s hard to say exactly which sport deserves the top spot. Table tennis, association football, badminton and volleyball are all very popular.
Cuba — Baseball.
The Dominican Republic — Baseball.
Estonia — Basketball.
Fiji — Rugby.
Finland — Ice Hockey.
Guadeloupe — Windsurfing.
Guyana — Cricket.
India — Cricket.
Ireland — Gaelic Football. For a long time, association football was the favorite in Ireland, but Gaelic football overtook it in 2018. If you’re not familiar, it’s a bit like the other kind of football, but players can handle the ball with their hands.
Jamaica — Cricket.
Japan — Baseball.
Latvia — Ice Hockey.
Lithuania — Basketball.
The Marshall Islands — Basketball.
Mongolia — Mongolian Wrestling. It’s one of the three sports — along with horse racing and archery — played during Naadam, which is a very popular festival of games in the country.
Nauru — Australian Football.
Nepal — Cricket.
New Caledonia — Rugby.
New Zealand — Rugby.
Nicaragua — Baseball.
Pakistan — Cricket.
Palau — Baseball.
Panama — Baseball.
Papua New Guinea — Rugby.
The Philippines — Basketball.
Puerto Rico — Baseball.
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines — Cricket.
Sri Lanka — Cricket.
Taiwan — Baseball.
Tonga — Rugby.
Trinidad and Tobago — Cricket.
The United States — American Football. While baseball was once the most popular sport (it is America’s Pastime, after all), American football has been the favorite since the 1960s. If you zoom in, though, baseball and basketball are the favorites in certain states (with being the favorite in Alaska).
Venezuela — Baseball.
Wallis and Futuna — Rugby

Of course, then there there are the countries that prefer soccer:
Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Andorra, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia Cameroon, Cape Verde, the Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, Colombia, Comoros, the Congo, Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Denmark, Djibouti, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, France, French Guiana, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, the Maldives, Mali, Malta, Martinique, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, the Netherlands, Niger, Nigeria, North Korea, North Macedonia, Norway, Oman, Palestine, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, San Marino, São Tomé and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, the Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, the Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Korea, South Sudan, Spain, Sudan, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Final tally*:

159 soccer
12 cricket
9 baseball
6 basketball
6 rugby
3 ice hockey
1 anything else

* This work is incomplete as you're missing Dominica and Vatican City.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Final tally*:

Did you just check the list against every country in the world and find two missing ones? That's pretty freaking impressive.

Reaction Score
Would be interesting if it was done by tiered voting. Top two would assuredly be soccer and basketball. Rugby and cricket are huge but only in select nations that were colonized by the British. Baseball popularity due to American imperialism and not even a top 2 sport in the USA anymore lol

Reaction Score
Since it predates my existence, is there something that happened in the mid 60s that shifted baseball and football? I mean, I get it now. As much as I still love baseball, it's boring . But baseball was still the most popular sport for my friends and me growing up.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Antarctica

IMG_0309.jpeg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Did you just check the list against every country in the world and find two missing ones? That's pretty freaking impressive.
Nah. Just a spot check on obscure ones. I'm impressed you got all the Pacific Islands and Timor-Leste.

Reaction Score
I don’t think I’ve ever been anxiously waiting to watch an Olympic sport more than break dancing this year…
Yeah, it couldn't possibly be more entertaining or relevant to today's global culture than Rhythmic Dancing (ribbons, balls, clubs, etc.).

Season 4 Whatever GIF by The Office

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It's bad enough that sports programming has aired a lot of cornhole, pickleball, darts, and footvolley, but as I was flipping through sports options on TV last weekend, I saw professional whiffle ball and something called The Excel Spreadsheet Championships.

The one sport I really want to see on TV is hurling. That ish is nuts. It's like lacrosse with hockey sticks but no helmets. From the little I've seen, I can't believe someone hasn't be decapitated yet.

Reaction Score
Final tally*:

159 soccer
12 cricket
9 baseball
6 basketball
6 rugby
3 ice hockey
1 anything else

Shout out to you for mentioning Dominica. I actually own a home there, "Nature Island" is a stunning island country.

Reaction Score
Since it predates my existence, is there something that happened in the mid 60s that shifted baseball and football? I mean, I get it now. As much as I still love baseball, it's boring . But baseball was still the most popular sport for my friends and me growing up.
Television. Once the television was in every home, Football began to grow a ton. Baseball is still popular in areas of the US just not to the level of where it once was. It was great to listen to a baseball game on the radio. You could do just about anything and still enjoy the game due to it's slower pace. Now, everyone wants nothing but action. I will say the regular season baseball to me just doesn't hold the same level of interest for me that it once did but once the playoffs roll around, I don't miss a game. I don't care if the Red Sox suck too. I will watch anyone in playoff baseball.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Baseball has improved dramatically over the past couple years with shortening game times. There have been quite a few Pirates games I've watched this season and last that are done in 2:15 or less when the average used to push 3 hours.

That said, I don't know if Yankee/Red Sox games have experienced the same, lol.

Reaction Score
Television. Once the television was in every home, Football began to grow a ton. Baseball is still popular in areas of the US just not to the level of where it once was. It was great to listen to a baseball game on the radio. You could do just about anything and still enjoy the game due to it's slower pace. Now, everyone wants nothing but action. I will say the regular season baseball to me just doesn't hold the same level of interest for me that it once did but once the playoffs roll around, I don't miss a game. I don't care if the Red Sox suck too. I will watch anyone in playoff baseball.

I guess that makes sense. Baseball on the radio when I was a kid in the 80s/90s was still a really cool thing to have on while doing just about anything. I think TV actually oversaturated it as well. I get interleague play but it destroyed any appeal of the all star game and loosened some of the drama of the playoffs as well.

I still do get child-like joy when I hear the TWIB theme song, though.

Reaction Score
I thought this was interesting (well at least summer dead period interesting).

Afghanistan — Cricket.
Anguilla — Boatracing.
Antigua and Barbuda — Cricket.
Australia — Australian Football. This is a sport that’s kind of like a cross between American football (the ball is an oval and you can throw the ball around) and association football (there’s more kicking than in American football). It’s also sometimes played on a cricket pitch.
The Bahamas — Basketball. The national sport of the Bahamas is cricket, but the most popularare basketball and American football.
Bangladesh — Cricket.
Barbados — Cricket.
Bhutan — Archery.
Canada — Ice Hockey.
China — Basketball. Though in China, it’s hard to say exactly which sport deserves the top spot. Table tennis, association football, badminton and volleyball are all very popular.
Cuba — Baseball.
The Dominican Republic — Baseball.
Estonia — Basketball.
Fiji — Rugby.
Finland — Ice Hockey.
Guadeloupe — Windsurfing.
Guyana — Cricket.
India — Cricket.
Ireland — Gaelic Football. For a long time, association football was the favorite in Ireland, but Gaelic football overtook it in 2018. If you’re not familiar, it’s a bit like the other kind of football, but players can handle the ball with their hands.
Jamaica — Cricket.
Japan — Baseball.
Latvia — Ice Hockey.
Lithuania — Basketball.
The Marshall Islands — Basketball.
Mongolia — Mongolian Wrestling. It’s one of the three sports — along with horse racing and archery — played during Naadam, which is a very popular festival of games in the country.
Nauru — Australian Football.
Nepal — Cricket.
New Caledonia — Rugby.
New Zealand — Rugby.
Nicaragua — Baseball.
Pakistan — Cricket.
Palau — Baseball.
Panama — Baseball.
Papua New Guinea — Rugby.
The Philippines — Basketball.
Puerto Rico — Baseball.
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines — Cricket.
Sri Lanka — Cricket.
Taiwan — Baseball.
Tonga — Rugby.
Trinidad and Tobago — Cricket.
The United States — American Football. While baseball was once the most popular sport (it is America’s Pastime, after all), American football has been the favorite since the 1960s. If you zoom in, though, baseball and basketball are the favorites in certain states (with being the favorite in Alaska).
Venezuela — Baseball.
Wallis and Futuna — Rugby

Of course, then there there are the countries that prefer soccer:
Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Andorra, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia Cameroon, Cape Verde, the Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, Colombia, Comoros, the Congo, Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Denmark, Djibouti, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, France, French Guiana, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, the Maldives, Mali, Malta, Martinique, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, the Netherlands, Niger, Nigeria, North Korea, North Macedonia, Norway, Oman, Palestine, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, San Marino, São Tomé and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, the Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, the Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Korea, South Sudan, Spain, Sudan, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
IRELAND - All Ireland Football Championship - Armagh vs Galway.

10:30 eastern time

Reaction Score
Baseball has improved dramatically over the past couple years with shortening game times. There have been quite a few Pirates games I've watched this season and last that are done in 2:15 or less when the average used to push 3 hours.

Actually there was a Sox Yankee game this season that was played in about two hours twenty minutes. Quite a departure from the four hour marathons.

Reaction Score
Football teams play 17 short football games a year
Baseball teams play 162 games a year
Baseball has to be the most popular

Reaction Score

I think the last Red Sox Yankees game was 2:30

Football is only #1 because of gambling and fantasy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom