Most P-5’s want to leave the NCAA. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Most P-5’s want to leave the NCAA.

Reaction Score
There is a clear distinction of at least three classes in Division 1 football. FBS P5, FBS non-P5, and FCS.

All hoops champions on the last 20 years (and much longer) play division 1 football.

18 champions of the last 20 years had FBS football.

13 of the last 20 were playing in a P5 conference.

Only 2 teams have won Div 1 championships in both football and basketball in the last 20 years: Florida and Villanova.

I think none of this matters much. UConn and Nova aren’t P5 football, both are in a Top 3 hoops conference, both have a shot to compete for hoops national championships, and any potential P5 breakaway is football driven and not likely to affect hoops March madness.

Reactions: VCE
Reaction Score
There is a clear distinction of at least three classes in Division 1 football. FBS P5, FBS non-P5, and FCS.

All hoops champions on the last 20 years (and much longer) play division 1 football.

Only 2 teams have won Div 1 championships in both football and basketball in the last 20 years: Florida and Villanova.

I think none of this matters much. UConn and Nova aren’t P5 football, both are in a Top 3 hoops conference, both have a shot to compete for hoops national championships, and any potential P5 breakaway is football driven and not likely to affect hoops March madness.
Oh stop. Villanova football is in no way comparable to Florida. I give Villanova credit. It is one of a tiny handful of programs without BCS football that has managed to compete and win in basketball. But it doesn’t mean that a P5 only hoop tournament couldn’t exist without them and it certainly could without the balance of the New Big East.

Reaction Score

Division 1 Football: There are many non-P5 programs which are far better than P5 programs so that isn't a clear distinction. The elite programs, sure. But not for the Kansases and Syracuses of the P5.

Reaction Score
Division 1 Football: There are many non-P5 programs which are far better than P5 programs so that isn't a clear distinction. The elite programs, sure. But not for the Kansases and Syracuses of the P5.
Yep quality can overlap. App State as an FCS can even beat a Michigan. But the class system does exist, and revenue is a key differentiator.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
"At the same time, the Commission’s restructuring proposal would provide a reset opportunity for FBS programs that can no longer afford to compete at the highest level of college football and would prefer to affiliate with the NCAA, instead of the new FBS football organization. In the Commission’s survey, three in five FBS leaders acknowledged that they spend too much on FBS football “to keep up” with other schools."

Reaction Score
60% of FBS think they spend too much to keep up, about 78 programs. Sure, the dollars are obscene. I'd like to know which of the P5 programs fall into the "can no longer afford to compete at the highest level" category.

VCE

Reaction Score
This year obviously sucks, but when the UCONN to the BE doubters encounter the BET again at MSG....I hope you’ll be back as fans. It’s fun again.

Reaction Score
JUST MY OPINION

People assume that the future of conference realignment will entail the Power 5 conferences (or at least P5 football) leaving the NCAA to form their own governing body. I believe the most likely scenario will be that FBS football will be spun off as was recommended in the Knight Commission's recent report. I think it will happen sooner rather than later and that CoViD has only accelerated this.

It makes too much sense and solves many of the problems existing in college sports:
  • All 130 FBS football programs would leave the NCAA and use football-generated funds to run the now independent FBS;
  • Independence from the NCAA will give the new FBS the power to determine how it is governed -- everything from scholarship limits, player transfer and eligibility rules, playoff/bowl/championship system, and distribution of revenue;
  • Removing football money from the NCAA will reduce some (certainly not all) of the “power” in the now former Power 5 schools which will begin to level the playing field, not that it will ever be truly level;
  • Now basketball is the NCAA’s king. Men’s Basketball and the NCAA Tournament become the generators of funding for the NCAA. In fact, the tourney already provides the NCAA with better than 75% of its annual operating revenue.
  • Realignment after the NCAA-FBS split might occur along the lines of re-establishing old rivalries, better geographic fit and controlling travel expenses.
Certainly there are lots of details to be worked out. Many of the fans of schools who “won” the conference realignment sweepstakes are discovering that getting the football money is great for their athletic departments, but not so great for the fan experience – playing schools they have no interest in playing against, TV contracts that make it difficult for fans to watch their teams, feeling like second-class citizens in their new league, fans of conference outliers cannot travel to as many away games due to distance and expense.

Once again, just my opinion. Have at it.

Reaction Score
JUST MY OPINION

People assume that the future of conference realignment will entail the Power 5 conferences (or at least P5 football) leaving the NCAA to form their own governing body. I believe the most likely scenario will be that FBS football will be spun off as was recommended in the Knight Commission's recent report. I think it will happen sooner rather than later and that CoViD has only accelerated this.

It makes too much sense and solves many of the problems existing in college sports:
  • All 130 FBS football programs would leave the NCAA and use football-generated funds to run the now independent FBS;
  • Independence from the NCAA will give the new FBS the power to determine how it is governed -- everything from scholarship limits, player transfer and eligibility rules, playoff/bowl/championship system, and distribution of revenue;
  • Removing football money from the NCAA will reduce some (certainly not all) of the “power” in the now former Power 5 schools which will begin to level the playing field, not that it will ever be truly level;
  • Now basketball is the NCAA’s king. Men’s Basketball and the NCAA Tournament become the generators of funding for the NCAA. In fact, the tourney already provides the NCAA with better than 75% of its annual operating revenue.
  • Realignment after the NCAA-FBS split might occur along the lines of re-establishing old rivalries, better geographic fit and controlling travel expenses.
Certainly there are lots of details to be worked out. Many of the fans of schools who “won” the conference realignment sweepstakes are discovering that getting the football money is great for their athletic departments, but not so great for the fan experience – playing schools they have no interest in playing against, TV contracts that make it difficult for fans to watch their teams, feeling like second-class citizens in their new league, fans of conference outliers cannot travel to as many away games due to distance and expense.

Once again, just my opinion. Have at it.
The NCAA doesn't get any football money from the P5 schools now. I don't know about the other FBS conferences.

Be careful what you wish for. I believe that, if the P5 split off from the NCAA, they won't want anything to do with the other FBS conferences. Good Lord, even the Atlantic Sun Conference wants to upgrade to FBS.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be lovely...conferences based more on regionality.

An ACC that didn't stretch from an intertube ride from Havana to within 100 miles of the Canadian border....

A Big Ten that didn't stretch from the plains of Nebraska to the Atlantic Ocean....

Or maybe...the wave of the future is watching away games on TV...football travel has been waning anyway....Huge stadiums are downsizing seating....Big time football is a TV game.

Reaction Score
What happens if and when the P-5 schools leave the NCAA and form their own organization? A majority of those schools favor doing that.

They’ll be scheduling their own “national championships” in football, basketball, baseball, soccer, etc. How badly will that hurt our athletic dept?
"The NCAA would govern all other sports in a reorganized Division I governance, and schools with FBS football programs would remain part of the NCAA in all other sports except football."

"The Commission’s proposal for governance reform would make no change to the NCAA’s Division I men’s and women’s basketball championships. Nearly 4 in 5 survey respondents agreed it was essential for March Madness to maintain its current format."

in other words this would only involve p5 football, no other sports, so it would not impact the BE at all. every non p5 football program would probably shut down since those games would be rendered meaningless...but that's it (and UConn is half way there already).

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom