Most NCAA Division I athletic departments take subsidies (USA Today) | The Boneyard

Most NCAA Division I athletic departments take subsidies (USA Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2013/05/07/ncaa-finances-subsidies/2142443/

"Just 23 of 228 athletics departments at NCAA Division I public schools generated enough money on their own to cover their expenses in 2012. Of that group, 16 also received some type of subsidy — and 10 of those 16 athletics departments received more subsidy money in 2012 than they did in 2011"

"LSU, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Purdue and Texas were the only schools to report no subsidy money in 2012."

Chart here. UConn @ #42. Between Rutgers and KSU from "revenue" perspective.

Reaction Score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2013/05/07/ncaa-finances-subsidies/2142443/

"Just 23 of 228 athletics departments at NCAA Division I public schools generated enough money on their own to cover their expenses in 2012. Of that group, 16 also received some type of subsidy — and 10 of those 16 athletics departments received more subsidy money in 2012 than they did in 2011"

"LSU, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Purdue and Texas were the only schools to report no subsidy money in 2012."

Chart here. UConn @ #42. Between Rutgers and KSU from "revenue" perspective.

And even those schools that supposedly receive no subsidies, like Texas, and Michigan (barely any subsidy) get their stadiums and arenas paid for by the academic side, and the debt is service by the academic side.

Reaction Score
And even those schools that supposedly receive no subsidies, like Texas, and Michigan (barely any subsidy) get their stadiums and arenas paid for by the academic side, and the debt is service by the academic side.

Yup... interesting with the amount of detail in the report (click on schools names) but that is never covered.

Reaction Score
Yup... interesting with the amount of detail in the report (click on schools names) but that is never covered.

It's a funny country. On one side, you have academics saying the school should cut funding for sports, and on the other you have a lawsuit and the general public saying that players should be paid.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It's a funny country. On one side, you have academics saying the school should cut funding for sports, and on the other you have a lawsuit and the general public saying that players should be paid.

I'm more pragmatic about it. Sure spending a lot of money on athletics is probably not the optimal use of funds but neither is spending it on dance. I wish schools were more upfront about it and how much they actually are paying... but I doubt it would sway the opinions of their boosters and the citizens of the states that pay for it all that much. I mean I understand the academics argument, but then again I believe there are benefits to spending on athletics too. Academics are arguing that that money would be better spent by a university on academics, which is probably true... but I'd argue that that money would probably have never gone to the academics anyway. I'm also pretty sure that the academics mentioned above would have an entirely different opinion on how the money should be spent than say Rick Perry, as illustrated by his plans for higher education in Texas... and what the 'optimal' use of those funds would be.

Basically to sum it up... I have about as much use for ivory tower academics as a do for dim witted Texas governors.

Reaction Score
I'm more pragmatic about it. Sure spending a lot of money on athletics is probably not the optimal use of funds but neither is spending it on dance. I wish schools were more upfront about it and how much they actually are paying... but I doubt it would sway the opinions of their boosters and the citizens of the states that pay for it all that much. I mean I understand the academics argument, but then again I believe there are benefits to spending on athletics too. Academics are arguing that that money would be better spent by a university on academics, which is probably true... but I'd argue that that money would probably have never gone to the academics anyway. I'm also pretty sure that the academics mentioned above would have an entirely different opinion on how the money should be spent than say Rick Perry, as illustrated by his plans for higher education in Texas... and what the 'optimal' use of those funds would be.

Basically to sum it up... I have about as much use for ivory tower academics as a do for dim witted Texas governors.

The dancers PAY to go to school.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

Really... no one gets scholarships for dance? I doubt most dance programs are 'revenue neutral'.

Reaction Score
Really... no one gets scholarships for dance? I doubt most dance programs are 'revenue neutral'.

I'd expect most dance programs are in the black. That's how schools work. Low overhead majors are in the black. The money makers are English and the like, the programs in the red are engineering and the like.

Not sure what you're asking about dance, really. Are you asking if there are scholarships as in sports? No. Unless an alum has dedicated one to one student. But those are extremely rare. Schools are not giving students dance scholarships. I worked with Eastman School students for a long time at the University of Rochester. Those students pay for their education. Any money for financial aid comes from tuition money charged over and above the cost per student (i.e. cost per student could be $30k a year at UR but they charge $40k and redistribute it).

And by the way, if you have equal level of trust in Rick Perry's proposals and in your general academic type, that really says it all about this discussion. I imagine some professors would love to be recompensed according to their student evaluations--just give everyone As and watch your evaluation (and salary) shoot through the roof!

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

Actually that's neither here nor there in my argument. Some programs make money and some lose it. There's always a certain amount of this going on... Athletics are this writ large and the arguement basically is does it make sense to do this? I think to a certain extent it does. I'd rather there was full disclosure and a level playing field.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'd expect most dance programs are in the black. That's how schools work. Low overhead majors are in the black. The money makers are English and the like, the programs in the red are engineering and the like.

And by the way, if you have equal level of trust in Rick Perry's proposals and in your general academic type, that really says it all about this discussion. I imagine some professors would love to be recompensed according to their student evaluations--just give everyone As and watch your evaluation (and salary) shoot through the roof!

I'm defintely being inarticulate about my position. Let's just say I'm middle of the road on this. I defintely have a higher degree of respect for your average academic than Rick Perry. I was a philosophy major for cripes sake... but I think the arguement against atheletics funding can be over stated when you look at it purely on a cost/benefit ratio... because like dance or performing arts in general there are other long term benefits. It's hard for a university to explain it's mission and what your average biology research fellow or archeology professor brings to the table to the general public. College athletics are much more accessible.

Reaction Score
I'm defintely being inarticulate about my position. Let's just say I'm middle of the road on this. I defintely have a higher degree of respect for your average academic than Rick Perry. I was a philosophy major for cripes sake... but I think the arguement against atheletics funding can be over stated when you look at it purely on a cost/benefit ratio... because like dance or performing arts in general there are other long term benefits. It's hard for a university to explain it's mission and what your average biology research fellow or archeology professor brings to the table to the general public. College athletics are much more accessible.

I obviously see the benefit of athletics or I wouldn't be here. All these questions are coming up now because schools are slashing faculty and departments. Think of it like the sequester. There are some sacred cows that dare not be cut. Athletics is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom