Most likely to stop the streak? | The Boneyard

Most likely to stop the streak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Eventually the streak will be stopped. Assuming, for the sake of this thread, that it happens this year (and that's much more likely than not IMO), how would you rank opponents in terms of likelihood to stop the streak?

I think MD is a no-brainer at #1. You could argue that SC has a better shot at beating UConn, but two things have to happen to be the winner in this competition. You have to beat UConn ... AND the streak has to be alive when you do it. MD is almost certain to face UConn with the streak alive. That's not the case with SC simply because MD gets the first shot.

#2 is more interesting. I'd put SC as #2 but you can make a very strong case for USF (ranked #14 on both Massey and Sagarin, ahead of both Tx and OSU) based on the fact that they are likely to have 3 shots at UConn. I ran the numbers by assigning probabilities to each of the competitive games. SC came out #2 but I wouldn't have to tweak the probabilities much to have USF come out #2.

I think #4 and #5 have to be Baylor and ND. I'd put it in that order but you could argue the other way around. Just comes down to which team would have a better shot at UConn in the Final Four.

My full list:
MD
SC
USF
Baylor
ND
FSU
OSU

If it happens, and I expect it will, the odds are over 95% that it will be one of those seven teams.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think it's going to be Winthrop. After their annihilation at the hands of Baylor, Winthrop's alumni, administration & athletic dept are going to be up in arms about their lack of competitiveness, so they'll start pouring money into the program, hire a big time coach and set about building Winthrop into a powerhouse.

I predict that Winthrop will beat the Huskies in the NCAA finals.....in 2028 after Geno retires.:rolleyes:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That would be basically my list as well, but because of sequence and actual scheduling of games I would have to move OSU up the list ahead of Baylor who we may not see again this year (nor ND, nor FSU.) If we win tomorrow, then OSU disappears from the list.

Reaction Score
That would be basically my list as well, but because of sequence and actual scheduling of games I would have to move OSU up the list ahead of Baylor who we may not see again this year (nor ND, nor FSU.) If we win tomorrow, then OSU disappears from the list.
Massey has UConn at 99% to beat OSU tomorrow. I think that's a tad high but my guess is around 98%. If you brought that down to 96% or below, which is certainly arguable, then I would agree that OSU is #4.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Maryland clearly has the best shot, playing at home.
However, Massey still has them losing by 13 points (81-68).

Massey has USC losing @Uconn by 15 points (77-62).

Massey has USF losing at home by 18 points (80-62).

Massey Ratings - University of Connecticut Huskies

Frankly, I think USF at home has a better chance of beating UCONN than USC.

USF would have the benefit of having played UCONN earlier in the season and that should help their players to not be so uptight, having already been through that experience. USF isn't expected to realistically win, which can somewhat free up their play.

There is much more pressure on USC, since they are a national powerhouse and are expected to perform like one.

Reaction Score
I was a Gampel on Feb 18 2012 standing behind the basket when Kelly Farris missed a lay-up and we lost to an unranked team name St John which ended about 6 to 7 streaks. So, it is not necessary the big wolf but the sleeping fox that get you sometimes. Ask Baylor about Louiville.

Reaction Score
Of course, if you've "run the numbers" (how did you do that???), that's one thing.

I see Maryland as entirely winable because UConn has a week off after Nebraska, which itself could be a big-time trap game right after OSU. USF is a brutal game, because it is away and follows right on the heels of the away Maryland game. That's really tough.

Rather than look at which teams on paper are the best opponents, in a case like this, I think circumstances play a huge role. UConn lost its last game when it played the second consecutive west coast game: they lost focus in the final 5 minutes against Stanford and blew their lead accordingly. With a Geno-coached team, it's rarely about pure match-ups (since he can usually figure that out to his advantage); it's usually about circumstances he can't control.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Most likely to stop the streak? Injury. Plain and simple. Of course, also as ochoopsfan has said. But more importantly, this team with such a short bench cannot afford a hiccup. Injuries, though a part of any game, would be their Jonestown Kool Aid.

Last edited:

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I prefer to contemplate how we stop Mitchell and annihilate OU.
I checked the schedule and Connecticut doesn't have Oklahoma or Ohio University on their schedule this season and neither of those teams has a player named Mitchell?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
UConn will end the streak. They will have a bad day against an inferior opponent and lose.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Perhaps these gals are incredibly determined to show "we are that good too" especially after hearing how the "Big 3" are gone, and this would be a rebuild or reload year.
Mentally, there isnt a team, in WCBB, close to UConn. Some teams have pluses in some areas of the game, namely down low, then UConn has, but sometimes determination and mental toughness can overcome a lot. I wouldnt trade this UConn team, for any other team that is out there this season. Love their MoJo, and we shall see. :cool:

Reaction Score
I think MD will be our last tough game until the NCAAs.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I simply cannot worry about it. If UConn makes more history by getting to 91, I'll be amazed at everything I've had the privilege of experiencing. How far the streak extended into uncharted territory past 90 wouldn't matter to me. Beyond that, the streak I'd be inclined to focus on would be six...in the NCAA tourney. Now *that* would be greedy....if we aren't already. Nah, on second thought, we're just spoiled.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
UConn may win vs. SC in February... but it won't be as easy as you suggest.

Both those teams look very formidable in my view. I wouldn't take anything for granted against either. At least the Gamecocks come to our place this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom