Most impressive and most disappointing teams of Round 1 | The Boneyard

Most impressive and most disappointing teams of Round 1

Reaction Score
So day one is in the books, day two of the first round starts in just a few hours.

Half way through round 1, here are a few teams that both impressed and disappointed me:

Impressed:
Wofford: Poised and well played game from Wofford. For a few minutes it looked like the wheels were coming off for the Terriers as a 16 point cushion turned into a brief one point deficit, as Powell, almost single handily shot Shall back into the game. The crowd was even getting into it chanting his name during one foul call that sent him to the line. However, as quickly as the Wofford lead dwindled, it was built up again, right back to 16, the final margin of victory! I was impressed by Wofford, how they did not panic and after getting down a point, quickly built the lead right back up.

Murray State: I was impressed by just how good this team was in their absolute dismantling of a solid Marquette squad. Better than advertised in my honest opinion, led by an incredible triple-double from Morant whose draft stock is surely sky rocketing. I think Murray St proved they were better than the 12 seed they were given and in the process, might have put a bit of a scare into FSU for tomorrow. Murray has represented the Ohio Valley well.

Honorable mention: Belmont and New Mexico St. - Tough way to end a game for both teams.

Not impressed:
Michigan St: A lackluster performance from a team that, just a few days prior, had been arguing that they deserved a one seed. Well, if that game was anything to go by, perhaps the committee was correct. Granted it is hard to judge a teams merits based on one game, but MSU better wake up and do so quickly if they hope to advance and challenge Duke in a possible elite 8 game. It is hard to imagine Duke bowing out before the elite 8 so if MSU wants to go to the FF, the road very likely goes through the Blue Devils. Down 1 with 6 minutes to go, only a very late 8-0 run saved the Spartans from another first round loss as a 2 seed, coupled with some issues on the sidelines between Izzo and one of his star players, getting to the elite 8 suddenly seems like a tall order. Only time will tell.

Nevada: Granted I strongly felt Nevada was under seeded as a 7, but you need to play with the seed you are given. Uconn proved that in 2014 as we all know. But Nevada simply did not execute for several key stretches of the game and Florida took advantage. I thought an older, more experienced Nevada team that has "been there" (elite 8 last year) and was returning most of their players would have no problem with a Florida team that, though talented, was much younger and more inexperienced and struggled their way to a 19-15 record. I expected another possible sweet 16 appearance from Nevada, or at least a fighters chance against Michigan, possibly losing in a close game.

Who are some of the teams that both impressed and disappointed you in day one? Who are the teams that you think will impress and disappoint in day two?

Overall, I thought that the non P5/BE/AAC teams played very well: Yale, New Mexico St, Belmont, Murray, St. Marys (who probably deserved more like a 12 or 13 but still), Bradley and Vermont. If those teams were anything to go by, perhaps UNCG and even Furman deserved a slot too. I look forward to seeing how the 12 to 14 seeded teams peform today, but so far really solid effort all around from the non "P7" 11/12/13 seeded teams.

Big question: How will Virginia look today? Will they come out punching and leave no doubt in viewers mind? I think they will come out with something to prove in the first two rounds.

edit: BYE BYE CUSE, nice knowing you (NOT!)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just want as many upsets and Cinderella runs as possible. I hope every P5 and NBE team falls on their face.

At this point I hope Murray State wins it all. Not sure Morant’s draft stock could get any higher really. Hasn’t he been pegged top 3 for a while now?

Reaction Score
I was impressed by Vermont...scrappy, chippy team with a heck of a three point game...

16 three pointers at a 50% rate....tough to get by a team that does that...they could penetrate and create passing lanes for the out pass.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Nevada was awful. They were undisciplined, as they tended to be all season, taking bad shots and playing horrific defense. Florida guards penetrated at will and dumped off to their bigs for easy buckets over and over. Brutal.

Signed, Angry in Reno. :mad:

Reaction Score
Murray State?

They really rolled...and did not get sloppy late....

If teams can't slow down Morant, they may end up playing Gonzaga.

Reaction Score
Murray State?

Yep, Murrat State vs FState and Wofford vs Kentucky are potentially the best or worst games for Saturday. Hopefully one of the two keeps an underdog* in the field.

*Don't # at me Wofford is a 7, drawing Kentucky is an athletic mismatch - can't believe Kentucky isn't a double digit favorite. Ja Morant v Florida State is appointment TV

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Murray State?

The one thing I noted about Murray State is that all their players need to be aware at all times that the ball might be coming to them even if it looks like Ja has no intention of passing. I saw a few drops/mishandles on some of Ja's more ridiculous and unexpected passes. Love the way Ja plays, but his supporting cast needs to be on point for them to make it deep in the tourney.

I was bummed by Belmont. I thought they had the better team and had them getting to 2nd weekend in my bracket. IIRC they went into that game with a perfect 6-0 record on closing tight games, but they themselves looked tight. Crap coaching and crappier decision making on the last couple of possessions killed them.

Missed the earlier games, so can't comment there.

Reaction Score
Nevada was awful. They were undisciplined, as they tended to be all season, taking bad shots and playing horrific defense. Florida guards penetrated at will and dumped off to their bigs for easy buckets over and over. Brutal.

Signed, Angry in Reno. :mad:
There many times when they played like this year's Husky team!

Reaction Score
Ja Morant has been projected at #2 for a while now. His stock can't rise anymore unless Zion falls off a roller coaster and breaks every bone in his body

Reaction Score
Not impressed: all of the Big East. Yesterday made me rethink my gung ho attitude of wanting to go back to the Big East. Not a great showing.

Reaction Score
Not really a surprise but it was interesting watching the difference between FDU playing on Tuesday and FDU playing yesterday against Gonzaga. When I watched Tuesday's game I thought FDU had a couple of really good guards and would give a #1 seed some trouble. But when you saw them paired to a much much more overall talented team, they were like watching a high school team. It just goes to show you how much difference talent makes!!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
a few more 3 balls, and he breaks single season record held by stef curry. he already owns career ncaa 3 ball record. both he and curry are 2 time Southern Player of the Year. he had another pantload of treys yesterday. impressive. Watch: Fletcher Magee sets NCAA record for career threes
Fletch Lives! (and may yet play for the Lakers...)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Day two:
UC Irvine - I did not see the entire game, but for the parts I did see, they looked comfortable on the court, not the least bit scared to play the B12 champ. Offense looked fluid and I was impressed with how these kids carried themselves down the stretch.

Liberty - They could have easily folded after going down 10 late in the second half. Instead Liberty methodically chipped away at the deficit and were amazing in the closing seconds. Again, tons of poise, great execution. I think Liberty is a threat to upset VTech who seemed to slow down a bit in their second half, after a fast first half vs St. Louis. Miss. St had something like half a dozen blocks in the 2nd half but Liberty kept plugging away and Homsley was the key, as well as hitting nearly all their freethrows in the final minute, similar to Uconn's stunning free-throw shooting in 2014 in March.

Pac12 - The conference looked weak all year. Not yesterday. Oregon ran past Wisconsin in the closing minutes, powered by an 18-2 run, taking a game that was once a tie and putting it easily out of reach as the lead ballooned to over 20 at one point. After starting 14-12, Oregon is finally putting everything together, now winners of 9 in a row. Will they be a threat to make the sweet 16? Perhaps not, but the future seems bright for the Ducks, starting next year. Washington also looked dominant in their 8/9 matchup vs a solid Utah St. team. For a lot of the time, Washington was firing on all cylinders and you just knew there was no way USU would keep it close, never mind win.

Honorable mention: Friday 16th seeds - What Gonzaga did is what is expected of a one seed. Now granted all three 16 seeds lost on Friday, of course, but they weren't even supposed to keep it close right from the tip. Nevermind being in the game for the first 25 minutes or so. Duke, UNC and Virginia may very well make the final four, but the first 20 minutes or so were very uninspiring and they struggled to create breathing room between far inferior teams for too much of the game. Inferior, but for sure not lacking in heart. All three teams better not sleepwalk for such a long stretch starting immediately and especially in the s16. Extra kudos to Colgate who made a nice run and actually looked like a threat to win after being down double digits in the second half.

Disappointing

Cincinnati - I don't want to pile on too much more, but the Bearcats are not known for March success over the past two decades. Five losses in the first round and a 2-11 record in the second round over the past 20 years. Still, the Bearcats were facing a very ho-hum Iowa team on the decline, having lost 5 of their last six including losses to a very poor Rutgers team and Nebraska. The Bearcats were given a great first round draw, had a 13 point lead late in the first half and squandered everything. All the good will Cincy seemed to build up in the win vs Houston quickly dissipated vs the Hawkeyes.

Iowa St - A team with so much talent and potential battled for the entire game in a very tightly contested game, but fell to a very average 11th seed in Ohio St. This was a very fun game to watch. A missed freethrow and tough/questionable 3 in the closing seconds doomed Iowa St in the end in a game they probably should have won by at least 10. Ohio st. made sure the B10 remained perfect (edit: my bad, Wisconsin) in the first round and move on to face Houston, who will hopefully change that.

Overall, lower seeds were solid in the first round this year from 9 to 16, minus a few teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Iowa State. Loaded team that just won their conference tournament. They lost to a lackluster Ohio State team.

Reaction Score
Ohio St won because they dominated the offensive glass. They could have built a house with all the bricks but they got 3 or 4 chances every other trip. The Wesson brothers were doing work. ISU frontcourt couldn't compete. Reminded me what happens to us at times. In addition to the teams mentioned above, I thought Ole Miss and Northeastern were bad. Ole Miss played ZERO defense the entire game. I think they gave up a 50 burger in the first half. Maybe unfair to be critical of a 13 vs a 4 seed, but I thought Northeastern would offer a bit more resistance to a Kansas team that is a shell of what they were and looked ripe for the pickins.

Reaction Score
This MD LSU game is good. MD with a strong comeback

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom