Most Impressed With Orlander | The Boneyard

Most Impressed With Orlander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was at the game last night. Shabazz even though having 15 assists and almost had a triple double seemed like he forced too much and didnt hit DeAndre Daniels enough when he was wide open on the wing (it could have been due to some sort of offensive schemes they were trying to run). Jeremy Lamb played well but sort of faded in and out.

Orlander though was very very good. He had great post moves, hustled hard, rebounded well and had a few nice jump shots. He will be able to give us a lot of minutes in case Oriahki or Drummond get in foul trouble. This team is loaded with front court talent, the only thing that worries me is the PG position. This team is going to ride or die with how well Shabazz does and Boatright. Hopefully the boatright situation clears up soon so we can see him play and he can gain experience.

Reaction Score
Bazz missed 3 easy chances to set DeAndre up for an oop, but I do still marvel at his handle.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I was impressed with TO's game as well. He showed improvement last season and appears even better this season. What I most liked about his game was his assertiveness on the offensive end. Last year he would have hesitated if he missed a shot. That didn't happen this game.

And TO and AO worked well together on the defensive end. The thing I feel TO can improve from this game is boxing out his man and being better at defensive rebounding.

Reaction Score
Very impressed with Olander. Looks to be in MUCH better shape than last year as well. If he can be that solid post guy that does everything well but nothing great, I'll be more than happy.

Reaction Score
Ive been saying it all offseason; I expect big things from Olander this year. He showed flashes last year of a solid offensive game. He was just farrr too weak last year. And since he bulked up, theres no reason he cant be a dependable backup. He has back to the basket moves and he can face up and knockdown a jumper. Not surprised by his performance last night at all.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is very encouraging. I hoped he would build on the flashes we saw last year. I envisioned him as a kid who will be pretty darned good by his junior and senior year. Since AD is one and done, we'll need him.

Sounds like Shabazz has the same weaknesses as last year, which isn't surprising. We'll see if JC can get him to play under control and manage the team.

Reaction Score
I was at the game and was quite impressed w/ Tyler's progress.
Definitely stronger and more assertive this year.
Ripped a couple rebounds out of fellow teammates hands.
Led the team in rbs & blks as well.

Reaction Score
I think you have to split an assessment of Shabazz' peformance into two halves. He looked damn good in the second half in my opinion. I think he has the personality to handle criticism because I think he's going to be a lightening rod for it this year. Judging by the first game it will be Taliek Brown-esque.

Olander was fantastic. He just looked like a man out there in every sense of the word. Whereas last year he looked very much a freshman, yesterday he was confident, assertive, great inside on offense and defense, got rebounds, hustled, and made the biggest impression of anyone on the floor (including Lamb and Drummond).

Reaction Score
Olander has definitely put on some muscle, and the team as a whole has gotten stronger.

Giffey especially looked bigger, but you could tell that Bazz and JL also put on mass. JL is still all limbs but he looked like a body builder next to DD. Hard to tell if Scoe got stronger. And then they added a man-child in Drummond. I don't expect this team to be pushed around as much.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One of the great things about Olander, aside from his blossoming growth as a player, is that i suspect he will be around for 4 years. if he's that solid this year, and continues to improve as much as he can, he will be another of those "diamond in the roughs" that JC so often seems to land. does he have NBA potential? he's about the same size and build as Tyler Hansbrough, right? not sure he has nearly that upside, but you never know...

Reaction Score
Olander was solid. Bazz was out of sorts the first half. Missed AD on the pick and roll a number of times. Hard to miss a wide open 6-10 275 in the paint, but that happened a bunch of times in the first half. Bazz was much better in the 2nd half. Seemed to settle down some.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
One of the great things about Olander, aside from his blossoming growth as a player, is that i suspect he will be around for 4 years. if he's that solid this year, and continues to improve as much as he can, he will be another of those "diamond in the roughs" that JC so often seems to land. does he have NBA potential? he's about the same size and build as Tyler Hansbrough, right? not sure he has nearly that upside, but you never know...
Agree. He reminds me somewhat of the Pitt bigs. They may not be particularly heralded out of high school, but end up being a force as their upper classman years.

Reaction Score
Is Olander becoming another Gavin Edwards? Physical, rebounds well, decent jumpshot with some range. I would say that Edwards was probably more athletic though.

Either way, TO is developing a lot faster than GE did.

Reaction Score
Agree. He reminds me somewhat of the Pitt bigs. They may not be particularly heralded out of high school, but end up being a force as their upper classman years.
Come on. Don't insult Olander like that!!?! Pitt's bigs are a "force" in their upper class years because by then they're usually 24.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Is Olander becoming another Gavin Edwards? Physical, rebounds well, decent jumpshot with some range. I would say that Edwards was probably more athletic though.

I think TO plays tougher and harder, than GE.

Reaction Score

TO is also a better leaper than Gavin... and more physical already.

Reaction Score
I don't get why Edwards gets labeled as "soft" so much. Maybe he was early in his career, but he was pretty physical down low his senior year.

Reaction Score
You can disagree all you want, but Olander can really jump. Gavin was a nice overall player, but Olander is more physical and has a higher vertical leap. No knock on Gavin, just an observation on some positives for Olander.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I don't get why Edwards gets labeled as "soft" so much. Maybe he was early in his career, but he was pretty physical down low his senior year.
I liked Gavin as a player. My evaluation of TO is subjective of course, but it is very complementary for a current player to be considered tougher and work harder than GE.

I just see TO mixing it up more than GE in the post. GE would try to finger role the ball into his hands going for rebounds. Tyler is mixing it up more with his body. GE would get pushed out from under the basket. Tyler doesn't have that happen as often.

But Gavin had decent rebounding numbers his senior year. In this first exhibition game Tyler was in position for several rebounds which he didn't corral. And getting the ball in your hands on the defensive end is what it's about. So I'm interested to see what happens in the future for Tyler. Needless to say Tyler has improved tremendously from this time last season, a much greater improvement, imo, than GE over his first season.

Reaction Score
You can disagree all you want, but Olander can really jump. Gavin was a nice overall player, but Olander is more physical and has a higher vertical leap. No knock on Gavin, just an observation on some positives for Olander.
Fair enough. Obviously I'm hoping Olander becomes a great player!

Reaction Score
I liked Gavin as a player. My evaluation of TO is subjective of course, but it is very complementary for a current player to be considered tougher and work harder than GE.

I just see TO mixing it up more than GE in the post. GE would try to finger role the ball into his hands going for rebounds. Tyler is mixing it up more with his body. GE would get pushed out from under the basket. Tyler doesn't have that happen as often.

But Gavin had decent rebounding numbers his senior year. In this first exhibition game Tyler was in position for several rebounds which he didn't corral. And getting the ball in your hands on the defensive end is what it's about. So I'm interested to see what happens in the future for Tyler. Needless to say Tyler has improved tremendously from this time last season, a much greater improvement, imo, than GE over his first season.
Yes, I certainly agree that TO has a lot of upside and is developing much faster than GE ever did.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I just wish our fans knew how to spell his name.
We have a lot of Oleander down in the south and every time I pass it I tell my wife isn't the Olander pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom