Most impactful Husky ever | The Boneyard

Most impactful Husky ever

Reaction Score
When I was considering who to choose for which all time Husky would impact this team the most, it reminded me of which Husky I’ve seen impact a complete game more so than any other.

Mek, Kemba, Bazz are all good choices but to me the most dynamic player ever was 93-94 Donyell. I remember sequences where he would drain a 3, lead a break with a block, throw down a big dunk, hit a 3 the next time down and in a 2 minute span completely change a game. It was nothing short of awesome to watch, I hope I get to see another UConn player like that in my lifetime. I’d love to hear who you guys have as your top guy and why.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Chris Smith.... JC’s first big time recruit. And a bonus he was a in state player.

This was my first thought as well.

He made it ok for top talent to come to Storrs.

Reaction Score
Chris Smith. Not even close. Totally transformed the program.

After that, i'd say Donyell Marshall and then Ray. Everything was like shifting up a gear during that period. One begat one, begat the next guys, etc. etc.

But you really start with Smith.

Reaction Score
Donyell made sure we weren't a flash in the pan and paved the way for other top recruits like Ray, Rip, etc.

Reaction Score
How about Nadov during the '90 season. Remembering Zo giving him the "evil eye" trying to rattle him. He thought th3 Israely was gonna wilt in the face of his nonsense. Nice try, but Nadov saw far more pressure every day of his life and promptly stuck a dagger in Gtown's heart.

Reaction Score
Anyone who says Kemba must have been born after our first championship and they also don’t understand what “impactful” to the program means..

We had 2 rings 3 final fours ( 2009 with a young Kemba who was not jr. Year Kemba) and a pile of lottery picks before 2011 FYI

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Khalid El-Amin
Absolutely, it’s Khalid. If you followed the program up to and during that time, you know he gave us the edge we needed to bust through and truly play championship level basketball when we needed to. He laid an egg in the Elite 8 game, as I recall, but by then he had already rubbed off on the rest of the team and they pulled us through.

Two games later he capped it off by knocking down the two biggest free throws in the history of the program, killing Duke’s greatest team of all time in cold blood.

Reaction Score
Anyone who says Kemba must have been born after our first championship and they also don’t understand what “impactful” to the program means..

We had 2 rings 3 final fours ( 2009 with a young Kemba who was not jr. Year Kemba) and a pile of lottery picks before 2011 FYI
Totally disagree. UConn basketball was completely dead in the water, they were supposed to be terrible and then Kemba was the best player in the country, had the best UConn season ever, one of the most clutch seasons in the history of college basketball, arguably the greatest run in college basketball history, he won us a championship, won his legendary coach another title at the end of his career, and made sure UConn was still extremely relevant in college basketball.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Cliff Robinson.

I don't know if you're able to get Chris Smith without him. Although an argument could be made for Gamble too for the same reason. Cliff also had a long career in the NBA (18 years), and was probably the most successful UConn professional until Ray Allen came along.

Tough question to answer, but I'll stick with Uncle Cliff...

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Absolutely, it’s Khalid. If you followed the program up to and during that time, you know he gave us the edge we needed to bust through and truly play championship level basketball when we needed to. He laid an egg in the Elite 8 game, as I recall, but by then he had already rubbed off on the rest of the team and they pulled us through.

Two games later he capped it off by knocking down the two biggest free throws in the history of the program, killing Duke’s greatest team of all time in cold blood.

It’s gotta be Khalid based on his swag alone. We didn’t have that kinda swag before he got here.

Reaction Score
Based on my interpretation of the OP I don't think he means most impactful for the building of the program--where the obvious answer is Chris Smith--but who impacted, controlled, and dominated actual games?

My answer has to be Emeka. I think he's the best collegiate player we've ever had and Donyell is second. Ray and Kemba come after those two. Emeka was so unbelievably dominant on the defensive end of the court and was a damn good offensive player too. Maybe it's the homer in me but I think he's the best defender college basketball has seen since Patrick Ewing; the best defender of the past 30 years. He near single-handedly won a few games with his defense and completely changed how the opposition had to attack us. His offensive stats were never going to be as impressive as Donyell's given he played on the most talented team we ever had.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Based on my interpretation of the OP I don't think he means most impactful for the building of the program--where the obvious answer is Chris Smith--but who impacted, controlled, and dominated actual games?

My answer has to be Emeka. I think he's the best collegiate player we've ever had and Donyell is second. Ray and Kemba come after those two. Emeka was so unbelievably dominant on the defensive end of the court and was a damn good offensive player too. Maybe it's the homer in me but I think he's the best defender college basketball has seen since Patrick Ewing; the best defender of the past 30 years. He near single-handedly won a few games with his defense and completely changed how the opposition had to attack us. His offensive stats were never going to be as impressive as Donyell's given he played on the most talented team we ever had.

Yeah, he's talking about which guy could impact a game, on both sides of the ball, the most.

Nothing to do with his place in the program and how he may have impacted it as a result.

On the court skill, offense plus defense.

I too vote for Yell. Butler was another contender, but he didn't really put it together his entire second year. Last 2/3 more like.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom