Most critical change each player made in that win | The Boneyard

Most critical change each player made in that win

Reaction Score
Much has been made here about changes that needed to be made over the last few games, and watching that game today was a breath of fresh air. It seemed Hurley had some clarity from watching last game from the sideline, and the players are starting to take action on the film they are watching. I know Butler is horrible (plus missing Bates) and we match up well against them, but you gotta take what you can get after a rough stretch and hope this trend continues.

I think some players had multiple improvements this game (e.g., Adama passed well, rebounded better, and protected the rim more aggressively) but I'm highlighting what I thought was the single most critical improvement that each player showed

Sanogo: Passing out of doubles
  • Hallelujah,. This has to be the best Adama has ever passed, especially out of doubles, which he realized early and often. Instead of players standing still every time he had the ball, they were looking ready to receive his pass. Huge unlock for the team if it continues
Jackson: Looking for his shot
  • I know Jackson still made many drives today where he was only looking to pass, but there were more instances where he looked to shoot both back to the basket (early in the game) and on the drive (early 2H). Still room for improvement, but I thought he did much better looking for his shot today
Hawkins: Dribbling
  • Anyone else think Jordan probably dribbled the ball the most he has all season in this game? Loved all his little dribble separation moves for the midrange J's, continued drives to the hoop, and seeming increase to leading fast breaks with the ball. Still dribbling a little too high in transition, but that's fixable
Karaban: Conditioning
  • Karaban has no glaring holes (outside of his D in matchups that frankly are unfair to him) so it was hard to find one, but my cop out improvement is more about him finally getting spelled now that Johnson is folding back in - now he can rest his body and be even more efficient on both ends
Newton: Driving and drawing fouls
  • Newton was back in early season form, aggressively going to the hoop and looking to score or draw fouls. Really great game from him - the floor opens up when he's a threat to drive
Diarra: Playing in control (and not trying to dunk ;) )
  • Diarra has sometimes gotten out ahead of himself on offense and made some head scratching turnovers or taken bad shots - thought he played within himself on that end today, and it showed... also loved taking the wide open layup rather than forcing another missed dunk
Clingan: Not sagging off his man to double in the paint
  • Clingan has gotten caught many times this season hunting for a block and completely losing his guy on his back, leading to easy alley oops or passes over his head. There was one play in particular in the 2H where he could have done the same thing, but stayed home and trusted his teammate to play good D leading to a missed shot and an easy clear off the miss. Next big step is not getting sped up in his back to basket offense - he showed good poise on his one post move in the 1H, which was promising
Calcaterra: Driving and making the easy pass
  • To be fair, Joey was doing this earlier in the season (e.g., sweet dimes to Clingan in the G'Town game) but has gotten away from it recently; he had some really nice drives and dishes today (outside of that one where he should have shot) - here's to hoping he can continue to bust through seams against better competition
Johnson: Getting on the court
  • Tongue in cheek... all seriousness it was awesome to see him out there being super active. He could be the X-Factor for this team especially given how absolutely STACKED our opponents in this league are at PF - I know it's early but he looks ready to disrupt Hopkins, Freemantle, OMax, and Kaluma
Alleyne: n/a
  • Kind of at a loss here. Really want to see him put it together, but not sure what needs to change for that to happen
The team: Defense and hustle
  • Realize the above is pretty offense focused, and I'd be remiss not to acknowledge the fantastic team defense - the rotations were quick, situational hedges worked, rebounding was on, and scrappiness was there. Nice to not get outhustled again - I think this is the hardest the team has played since the 1H at Marquette

If each player can continue making incremental improvements on the above, I could see this team returning to form. Here's to hoping they keep trending upward, and Hurley recaptures some of that early season magic. Let's freaking bludgeon X on Wednesday!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I have to disagree with the OP on Jackson. I personally believe that his a) being more decisive with a pass first mentality and b) passing more quickly in each possession was what made him more effective than he had been in a while.

Yes, they did set him up for the first shot of the game (a beautiful drive that ended with a cringeworthy shot that looked more like he was throwing the ball at the basket than actually shooting) but after that he only took a couple more shots for the entire game.

Reaction Score
It was Butler. We did the same thing to them at their place and then stunk it up. We’ll see where we’re at on Wednesday
While I agree that it should be expected to trounce Butler, we completely dominated them almost wire to wire. Last game was close until the final 10 minutes.

Easy to say it doesn’t matter when we won big, but if it were a close game or a loss and the team didn’t show any improvement there would have been much outrage here. Agree, however, that carrying these through to X is what matters most

Reaction Score
It was Butler. We did the same thing to them at their place and then stunk it up. We’ll see where we’re at on Wednesday
Yea BUT it was laughed at by the majority on this board that the spread was 15. And we won by 30. No one on this board expected us to win by 30. It wasn’t something, but it wasn’t nothing either. We definitely did some things differently

Reaction Score
Yea BUT it was laughed at by the majority on this board that the spread was 15. And we won by 30. No one on this board expected us to win by 30. It wasn’t something, but it wasn’t nothing either. We definitely did some things differently
Bingo

Reaction Score
Re: Jackson...

I didn't really notice it until I watched the highlights but that sequence at the beginning of the second half where the Butler ball handler was already passed him and he came flying in from well behind him for that rejection that he swatted off the backboard. He then immediately proceeded to run clear across the court and dive on the floor to grab that loose ball.

THAT is what we need from EVERYONE going forward!

Reaction Score
There was a very distinctive moment in the second half when Hurley was subbing all 3 of Newton, Jackson and Karaban back in and had a long chat with the 3 of them before they went to the scorer's table. As soon as they subbed in, all 3 of them had plays where they drove hard to the basket for better or worse (iirc, Karaban got stuffed). I think those are the coaching moments that will prove important. We know a lot of our guys have talent, we just need to get them some confidence and put them in a position to succeed

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
since the previous game was a loss, i would expect that danny changed his 'unterwasche.' heck, the germans even include 'wash' in the word. lol.

Reaction Score
We can’t start against Xavier the way we did against Butler. Just rewatched the game and Clingan had a nothing game stats wise but he initiated and stretched the run in his stint in the first half. Sanogo much better second half.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

We did do some things differently.

We are all interested in seeing if it translates to playing a top tier team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom