Most coaches poll Top 25 teams the last 3 years. AAC or BE? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Most coaches poll Top 25 teams the last 3 years. AAC or BE?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ha! I wish. I’ve been to almost every BE men’s basketball tournament from the beginning. Used to be a big event for the buddies. Only missed the tourneys in Syracuse, Providence and 2 at MSG. Attending was great, but the crowds were driven by UConn, Syracuse, Villanova, Georgetown (in their prime), sometimes Pitt and ND and Louisville after they joined. Not many of those teams are still in the BE.

If the BE included some of our real rivals like Syracuse and Pitt, I would be all for joining the BE. And, look at the coaches in the BE. Not that strong of a group.

From a BE veteran, the move to the BE is based on nostalgia not future outlook. Sure, MSG will be fun again, but the New BE will never be the Big East of old. Heck, just a few years ago, it looked like the BE was going to lose MSG!

Yet is cost me a $100 to get into the Thursday day session this year at MSG. Nobody goes there anymore - it’s too crowded.

Reaction Score
The point is the AAC has not been that different than the BE over the past 3 years looking at Top 25 teams, recruiting, and conference championship TV ratings.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in those 3 years the Big East had:

1 national champion:
2 elite 8s
3 #1 seeds
17 tournament teams
16 tournament wins

The AAC had:

1 sweet 16
9 tournament teams
6 tournament wins

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Another ridiculous thread
The NBE is NOT the BE
Different time Different animal

Reaction Score
And the Big East isn't mid-majors?

Villanova is great. Georgetown has history.

St. John's? Providence? Seton Hall?

They are classic Big East schools, but would you call them high-major schools?

Creighton? Butler? Marquette? More good basketball schools, but again... I don't know what qualifies here.

Seton Hall is a top 15 or higher team this coming season. Providence made tourny a bunch of years in a row and St Johns should have been a tourny last two years with a better coach.

Are you seriously comparing Tulane, ECU and Tulsa to Creighton, Marquette and Butler??? Creighton and Marquette are projected tourny teams this year. No one has ever said that about Tulane and ECU, like ever.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Also just perception, brand. The carhlotic schools were smart to buy the name Big East. The American will never be as recognizable as the Big East.
That sale was the start of Aresco boning UConn. That name and perception had value to us, and perhaps Cinci. Truth be told, I understand his decisions, but inevitably they weren't in our best interest. Thus we left.

Reaction Score
Ha! I wish. I’ve been to almost every BE men’s basketball tournament from the beginning. Used to be a big event for the buddies. Only missed the tourneys in Syracuse, Providence and 2 at MSG. Attending was great, but the crowds were driven by UConn, Syracuse, Villanova, Georgetown (in their prime), sometimes Pitt and ND and Louisville after they joined. Not many of those teams are still in the BE.

If the BE included some of our real rivals like Syracuse and Pitt, I would be all for joining the BE. And, look at the coaches in the BE. Not that strong of a group.

From a BE veteran, the move to the BE is based on nostalgia not future outlook. Sure, MSG will be fun again, but the New BE will never be the Big East of old. Heck, just a few years ago, it looked like the BE was going to lose MSG!
The Big East was never in danger of losing MSG. Not for a second. ESPN liked to say that the ACC was coming in, but the Garden had no interest. Again, you are harping on false narratives. The coaches are not a strong group? Jay Wright is not one of the best coaches in the country - if not the best since he actually develops players? Did Ed Cooley just turn down Michigan to stay at Providence? Did Willard just turn down Virginia Tech to stay at Seton Hall? Did Jay Wright turn down UCLA? I get that UConn wants to be both a basketball and a football school, but there is no doubt that the Big East is a top four conference and is better on any day of the week than the AAC.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Another ridiculous thread
The NBE is NOT the BE
Different time Different animal

Oh yea? Well the N-AAC has never been the O-AAC ever since Louisville and Rutgers left!

Reaction Score
Comparing and contrasting the AAC & BE is pointless at this point. Does no good. Both are good conferences and you are ignorant if you don't think the AAC is a pretty decent conference/ on the rise...especially with Memphis shelling out big cash like the old days. The BE has incredible history which any casual basketball fan appreciates. Both conferences are in good shape.

I agree with AAC crowds being AWFUL with the exception of a few programs though. Playing at Tulane and ECU might as well be a funeral.

Reaction Score

This is one hell of a fail post. Big East tourny already does better than any conference tourny in the country and that's without UConn. Obviously only going to be a tougher ticket once UConn arrives.

Reaction Score
That sale was the start of Aresco boning UConn. That name and perception had value to us, and perhaps Cinci. Truth be told, I understand his decisions, but inevitably they weren't in our best interest. Thus we left.
Calling "The American" the "Big East" would have made zero sense. I assume his only options were A) sell the name and monetize the break up in some way or B) Hold on to the brand out of pettiness and kill it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom