Mo's thumb in yer eye | The Boneyard

Mo's thumb in yer eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
upload_2016-6-30_10-48-20.png

Caught this on ESPN this morning. Could any gesture better sum up an athlete?

Also, in this morning's Washington Post, an article about Pat S. arguing that the legendary, for all her accomplishments, didn't reach her ultimate goal of making WCBB the popular sport it deserves to be. The story goes on to demonstrate how relatively scant coverage the game gets in the media, and recycles the mainly male argument about the ineptitude of women in sports: can't take them seriously. Pat Summitt earned respect for women’s sports, but we still aren’t giving it

Reaction Score
". . . . the popular sport it deserves to be."

Just curious - why does it deserve to be popular? Shouldn't popularity be based on product and demand?

Because IMO not all of sport should belong to the biggest, fastest or the strongest. The women's version, inferior [to men] in these attributes, usually demonstrates finesse and teamwork, a more artful, aesthetically pleasing product. Modern man has outgrown the basketball court, less so the women.

To me professional hockey is a prime example; excess body checking and fighting slows down the game and ruins the flow and drama.

Reaction Score
Because IMO not all of sport should belong to the biggest, fastest or the strongest. The women's version, inferior [to men] in these attributes, usually demonstrates finesse and teamwork, a more artful, aesthetically pleasing product. Modern man has outgrown the basketball court, less so the women.

To me professional hockey is a prime example; excess body checking and fighting slows down the game and ruins the flow and drama.
I agree with what you say about the men's and women's games. It is disconcerting to me when people, including Geno, talk about making changes to the women's game to make it more like the men's game. To wit, among other things, lowering the rim in the women's game. I would prefer raising the men's rim 6 inches or so to make it more difficult for the men to dunk. It would make dunking still possible for the amazingly athletic, but not so low any professional could do it. It would also be great if they could make the men's court wider and the 3 point line farther away. Btw, I recognize the logistical problems this would cause, but it would be great to see this as an experiment as it would make the men's game more entertaining. They really have outgrown their game.

Reaction Score

Just curious - why does it deserve to be popular? Shouldn't popularity be based on product and demand?
So true. That's why I disdain the Lean In campaign. It makes it seem that women can only succeed if men help them. When the WNBA decides it wants to stop being an activism cause and start being about the sport, it will finally really take off.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

The NBA has a huge fanbase, the vast majority of which totally ignore the WNBA. That's not simply based on the product the WNBA is putting on the court. Most fans have never watched a WNBA game with an open mind. I think if every NBA fan did that, the WNBA would instantly gain huge numbers of new fans. Because if even 1 or 2% were converted, that would make a big difference.

Reaction Score
Because IMO not all of sport should belong to the biggest, fastest or the strongest. The women's version, inferior [to men] in these attributes, usually demonstrates finesse and teamwork, a more artful, aesthetically pleasing product. Modern man has outgrown the basketball court, less so the women. (snip)

This is EXACTLY the reason I watch WCBB, especially UConn. Nebraska Volleyball is similar, but not quite to the degree UConn does.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

That's your opinion. One that I share, but it misses the point. Most sports fans appreciate the biggest, the fastest and the strongest. I would add the most skilled to that. Hence the reduced popularity of women's bball.

Incidentally, the more artful, aesthetically pleasing product can be found in but a few of the top women's teams.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Not wanting to prolong this discussion
But: the recent Sparks/Dallas, Lib/Minny were heck of a good bunch of BB games (on any level).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not wanting to prolong this discussion
But: the recent Sparks/Dallas, Lib/Minny were heck of a good bunch of BB games (on any level).

I watched them both. The two best games I've seen this season. :cool:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
That's your opinion. One that I share, but it misses the point. Most sports fans appreciate the biggest, the fastest and the strongest. I would add the most skilled to that..

Which makes me wonder why folks watch college and high school ball... since the NBA is the creme de la creme...

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Which makes me wonder why folks watch college and high school ball... since the NBA is the creme de la creme...

For the most part it is a entirely different fan base. NBA fans are more likely to be young and male and full of testosterone. Fans of wcbb tend to be old farts and lesbians.

Reaction Score
For the most part it is a entirely different fan base. NBA fans are more likely to be young and male and full of testosterone. Fans of wcbb tend to be old farts and lesbians.
And people wonder why more college women don't come to games. :rolleyes: Heterosexual young women probably wouldn't like the perception of attending when it is "only for lesbians" Yeah, the non-college fans tend to be older, but I have no idea of their sexual preferences.
(And I am a female heterosexual fan. Okay, I'm also an old fart)

Reaction Score
I'm going to see "Mo" tomorrow night. I'll try to get pics.

Reaction Score

Most of the time the NBA is B-O-R-I-N-G.

The season is too long and most of the players are sleepwalking through the season. Most of them know that they aren't going to be in the Finals so they're just worried about how they're going to spend their money.

OTOH-The WNBA season is too short but it makes every game pretty vital to every team. Especially now that they've made it so only the best teams in the entire league make the playoffs. So if a team is not winning it's not because they're not trying.

I've been wrapped up in fixing up a house that I've just bought so I haven't had time to keep up with the WNBA on a day to day basis but I watched the NY- Minny game and it was awesome!

Reaction Score
Most of the time the NBA is B-O-R-I-N-G.

OTOH-The WNBA season is too short but it makes every game pretty vital to every team. Especially now that they've made it so only the best teams in the entire league make the playoffs. So if a team is not winning it's not because they're not trying.

I've been wrapped up in fixing up a house that I've just bought so I haven't had time to keep up with the WNBA on a day to day basis but I watched the NY- Minny game and it was awesome!
Top 8 teams make the playoffs, so that means 2/3 of the whole league make the playoffs. That's worse than hockey. You have to really suck not to make the playoffs. If the season ended right now, the playoffs would include 3 teams with winning records, 2 with .500 records, and 3 with losing records. So, as with the NBA, the first round(s?) will be "Zzzzzzzzzz....", with the outcomes all-but-predetermined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom