Mo's Season of Travail | The Boneyard

Mo's Season of Travail

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Even though you all seem supremely, sublimely indifferent to this content, I'm going to keep bringing it.

The Bristol Press - Former UConn women's basketball guard Jefferson persevering through San Antonio Stars rough season

“There are just mental breakdowns that happen every game where we go five or six minutes and it gets away from us,” Jefferson said. “If we cut those out, some things would be different. We’re talented all across the board and you can see that with our players. But we need to be mentally focused for 40 minutes to win.”

Nine of the Stars’ losses have been by single figures. Many have played out like last Sunday’s game against the Connecticut Sun at Mohegan Sun Arena. San Antonio led by seven early in the third quarter before turnovers - including two by Jefferson - turned the game in the Sun’s favor and the Stars never recovered.

“We’re young, but at some point that has to go away and you learn how to win,” Jefferson said. “You’re a professional. We’re learning from our mistakes, though. If we do that it will come together.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, maybe MoJeff and Plum can play together. In their last win. both were impressive and Isabelle Harrison is becoming a star.
I really think Kayla McBride is too inconsistent (when healthy) and there is no center play.

07/20/17: Indiana Fever @ San Antonio Stars - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

I agree, but Mo should be the 1 and Plum the 2. Frankly, I still doubt Plum has the athleticism to make it in the WNBA, though it is hidden better at the 1 than the 2. She has a way to go in getting lean and mean, if she can.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well, maybe MoJeff and Plum can play together. In their last win. both were impressive and Isabelle Harrison is becoming a star.
I really think Kayla McBride is too inconsistent (when healthy) and there is no center play.

07/20/17: Indiana Fever @ San Antonio Stars - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

Advanced stats for Stars top 3 players in PER - not a big performance gap between "becoming a star" Harrison and "too inconsistent" McBride

upload_2017-7-21_10-20-13.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Advanced stats for Stars top 3 players in PER - not a big performance gap between "becoming a star" Harrison and "too inconsistent" McBride

View attachment 23693

Sorry but based on where they were drafted (Kayla - 3rd Overall vs Isabelle 12th Overall) and given the strong expectations of McBride and invisible 1st season for Isabelle in Pheonix, I maintain my assessment. Unless McBride really becomes a consistent offensive threat which is better than 39% overall shooting and 31% 3pt shooting (way down from her first 2 years), they will continue to hug the bottom of the WNBA. I realize there are injury issues but everyone on SA has them.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Sorry but based on where they were drafted (Kayla - 3rd Overall vs Isabelle 12th Overall) and given the strong expectations of McBride and invisible 1st season for Isabelle in Pheonix, I maintain my assessment. Unless McBride really becomes a consistent offensive threat which is better than 39% overall shooting and 31% 3pt shooting (way down from her first 2 years), they will continue to hug the bottom of the WNBA. I realize there are injury issues but everyone on SA has them.

What does where they are drafted have to do with anything in my post or in your original post? You are completely introducing a new argument with that.

McBride is scoring more points than Harrison with a nearly identical usage percentage and fewer turnovers. Yet you say Harrison is "becoming a star" but McBride is not a "consistent offensive threat". That doesn't add up.

Sure, Harrison is way ahead if all you look at is FG%. Looking at the true shooting percentage (accounts for free throws and added value of 3s) and McBride is ahead.

McBride is too good of a shooter to be shooting just 31% on the 3s. I agree she needs to improve that. I just don't think it's fair to pin the Stars' struggles on K-Mac when she is one of the 3 decent players they have.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
What has been lost here with all the finger pointing is the OP where Mo Jefferson is calling for a team effort where everyone stays engaged for 40 minutes. She is pointing out the lapses by the team to maintain their focus as to why the season hasn't been going the way it could. Get rid of the lapses, keep the focus for 40 and things could be going differently. I think that is an honest and accurate assessment.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What does where they are drafted have to do with anything in my post or in your original post? You are completely introducing a new argument with that.

McBride is scoring more points than Harrison with a nearly identical usage percentage and fewer turnovers. Yet you say Harrison is "becoming a star" but McBride is not a "consistent offensive threat". That doesn't add up.

Sure, Harrison is way ahead if all you look at is FG%. Looking at the true shooting percentage (accounts for free throws and added value of 3s) and McBride is ahead.

McBride is too good of a shooter to be shooting just 31% on the 3s. I agree she needs to improve that. I just don't think it's fair to pin the Stars' struggles on K-Mac when she is one of the 3 decent players they have.

While I did not mention their draft positions in my first post, it was part of my thinking in being somewhat critical of McBride's play. Nothing wrong in refining an argument. I think it is quite reasonable to assess player performance by their potential. If a top 5 player is not playing like a top 5 player, that is a problem. I would put Plum in that mix except she is a rookie.

Regarding consistency, I was not looking at numbers directly but through my own observations of all the SA games. (Never miss a MoJeff game) Imho, she is a volume shooter who once in a while gets red hot but other times is ice cold. That is the definition of inconsistency in my book.

Maybe saying Isabelle "becoming a star" is too strong for some but when I see a very young player make such a sharp improvement, I am generally optimistic that it is not a fluke and she will continue to develop further.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
While I did not mention their draft positions in my first post, it was part of my thinking in being somewhat critical of McBride's play. Nothing wrong in refining an argument. I think it is quite reasonable to assess player performance by their potential. If a top 5 player is not playing like a top 5 player, that is a problem. I would put Plum in that mix except she is a rookie.

Regarding consistency, I was not looking at numbers directly but through my own observations of all the SA games. (Never miss a MoJeff game) Imho, she is a volume shooter who once in a while gets red hot but other times is ice cold. That is the definition of inconsistency in my book.

Maybe saying Isabelle "becoming a star" is too strong for some but when I see a very young player make such a sharp improvement, I am generally optimistic that it is not a fluke and she will continue to develop further.

No, nothing wrong with refining an argument. I was responding to the phrase "I maintain my assessment". Perhaps, McBride has underachieved. Really, it seems like she is not built for the year-round pro wbb grind and the frequent injuries have hurt her progress.

In retrospect, her draft hasn't turned out to be the strongest. Chiney hasn't been able to stay healthy. Sims has been lackluster. If you redrafted today, Alyssa Thomas would be the top pick of that class but she is by no means a superstar.

I get (and have experienced as an ND fan) that McBride goes ice-cold sometimes but that's sort of built into the nature of being someone who takes a lot of 3-point attempts (unless you are a DT or a Steph Curry or something).

Anyway, good talk...I have a better idea where you are coming from now.

Reaction Score
I agree, but Mo should be the 1 and Plum the 2. Frankly, I still doubt Plum has the athleticism to make it in the WNBA, though it is hidden better at the 1 than the 2. She has a way to go in getting lean and mean, if she can.
Who was National Player of the Year?? Plum?? and she can't make it in the W??

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No, nothing wrong with refining an argument. I was responding to the phrase "I maintain my assessment". Perhaps, McBride has underachieved. Really, it seems like she is not built for the year-round pro wbb grind and the frequent injuries have hurt her progress.

In retrospect, her draft hasn't turned out to be the strongest. Chiney hasn't been able to stay healthy. Sims has been lackluster. If you redrafted today, Alyssa Thomas would be the top pick of that class but she is by no means a superstar.

I get (and have experienced as an ND fan) that McBride goes ice-cold sometimes but that's sort of built into the nature of being someone who takes a lot of 3-point attempts (unless you are a DT or a Steph Curry or something).

Thank you. I am just frustrated by the SA situation. During our discussion, I did look up Kayla's game to game stats and one strong positive I did not appreciate is the
large number of times she goes to the line and the FT percentage you pointed out to me. I guess when you watch, FT's just do not stick in your mind as clearly as 3pt shots.

Unfortunately, many of her 3 pt shots are of the "very difficult" variety and that clearly hurts her percentages. I do realize that this often happens since SA is offensively a weak team in general and she often feels the needs to take over. That is why I like to think Isabelle's play and better 3pt shooting from Plum and a healthier MoJeff can take some of the pressure off. Even if all that happens, no depth and no center will still hurt SA big time. If Aja Wilson is drafted next year, I think SA will turn itself around pretty quickly.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Thank you. I am just frustrated by the SA situation. During our discussion, I did look up Kayla's game to game stats and one strong positive I did not appreciate is the
large number of times she goes to the line and the FT percentage you pointed out to me. I guess when you watch, FT's just do not stick in your mind as clearly as 3pt shots.

Unfortunately, many of her 3 pt shots are of the "very difficult" variety and that clearly hurts her percentages. I do realize that this often happens since SA is offensively a weak team in general and she often feels the needs to take over. That is why I like to think Isabelle's play and better 3pt shooting from Plum and a healthier MoJeff can take some of the pressure off. Even if all that happens, no depth and no center will still hurt SA big time. If Aja Wilson is drafted next year, I think SA will turn itself around pretty quickly.

Being a closet Stars fan (I still like Mo, and continue to follow her), and having read your takes on the current state of affairs of the San Antonio franchise (most of which I agree with), I'll share several observations here.
The Stars are currently 3-13 with 13 games left. They are 5 games behind the Sky for 11th place. They have resided at the bottom of the standings all season. They will not make the playoffs. I think it's a fair to assume that the Stars will again finish with the worst record in the W as they did last year (7-27). They may not win 7 games this year.

Let's assume for the sake of discussion that you are Ruth Riley, the GM of the Stars. What moves would YOU make in the coming off season to improve this team. They have needs across the board. They will finish with a record that will once again qualify for the draft lottery. IF San Antonio is awarded the number 1 pick, what would you do?

1. A'ja Wilson (South Carolina, and the consensus #1 player in the country) will be available in the 2018 draft, and will very likely be the first player taken in the WNBA draft. Do you take her? Do you trade the pick for a later first round pick and a proven veteran? If you don't have the first pick, who is the #1 player on your board?

2. Do you trade Kelsey Plum to another team (Seattle Storm?) where her presence and skill set would be (welcomed) put to better use, in return for a much needed veteran (or proven) wing or post player, or do you keep her?

3. Do you bring head coach coach Vickie Johnson back for another season? Has she earned enough cachet a to merit another year as the floor general or do you clean house, and go in another direction with a new coach and new assistants?

San Antonio screwed up the last draft BIG TIME!!! They've got to get the next one right. Last year BEFORE the draft, I commented that the Stars were 3 players away from being competitive. I like Harrison's play and contributions to the team thus far. I think she's keeper. But imo, they're still 3 players away from being competitive enough to make the playoffs. Needless to say 3 wins at this point in the season is not only disappointing, but unacceptable. That is the kind of scenario that could mandate major personnel changes, not only on the player's roster, but in the front office as well. What say you? The ball is in YOUR court. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
One thing that has stood out for me is that until recently (until Harrison starting stepping up) defenses were able to key on McBride. She has been inconsistent, but I don't care who you are, with the kind of attention she's been receiving, no one can perform consistently. A'ja Wilson would probably help that team immeasurably, although she'll probably need some adjustment time. They need quality size inside. That will open things up for Moriah and Plum. And I would probably give the coach another year. She really hasn't had too much to work with to show whether she is any good or not and there does seem to be some improvement of late.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I pretty much echo Roger's analysis but I simply am not sold that Plum will be top flight player so I would keep an eye on potential trade offers. I think Aj'a is a stud. Besides her excellent skill set, she seems to have a competitive mean streak that will serve her well in the WNBA.

Reaction Score

McBride was one of my "love to dislike" ND players--she was that good. The kid WAS a shooter.
SHe hit some amazing shots.
If she had cold nights ---why did she save her hot nights for Uconn---or I never saw them.
Injuries --you can't always control. If you are prone to injuries--there are 2 dozen theories on that--from mental to diet.
All in all I think McBride , given time , will work through this and show us the great player I expect her to be.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
If she had cold nights ---why did she save her hot nights for Uconn---or I never saw them.

One of the games I was thinking of was against Georgia Tech her senior year. I had to look it up to verify my memory. Sure enough she shot 3-13 in that game.

Like most shooters, she has/had cold streaks and hot streaks. Maybe her cold streaks were so memorable because they were (at least in college) so rare.

I've mentioned this before on the Boneyard, but McBride is a hometown girl (shoutout to Erie, PA) for me and the reason I started following wcbb...hence my initial defensiveness in this thread :)

Reaction Score
SA, IMHO, has the same affliction that Seattle has, at least displayed to me recently. They seem to work hard in the first half, have a win in sight in the 3Q, but fail to finish. Both teams can use additional talent, but failing to focus, and win those games that are winnable, this is all on the coach. This so reminds me of the TN program at times.
Solution, change coach at SA and look at replacing Jen at Seattle.

Reaction Score
The owner should just offer Mo the rest of the year off on him. Let her know she's a significant part of their future and she needs to rest her head and body. Then she could just work out the rest of the summer and just relax and no more injuries on this useless squad.

Reaction Score
I like watching SA even though they're having a tough start this year.

Sure, Kelsey had a rough start but she's now playing against the best players on the planet nightly. There's bound to be some adjustment, don't you think?

Although I do think it was kinda dumb for them to draft a scoring guard when they already had Kayla.

BTW- she was looking pretty foxy on the bench that last game (Kayla).

They needed to draft Brianna Lewis to shore up their center position but Izzy is doing a nice job.

They looked good against Indy but Indy is in transition mode right now trying to replace U No Who.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just came across this clip.---.sorry if some of you have seen it already:

Nice move but makes me wonder why more players do not do that move more often. :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mo goes from 0 to 60 very fast, but she also goes from 60 to 0 very quickly as well.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I still haven't seen her play in the W yet, but at least looking at stats Plum is starting to play better the last 3-4 games. Last game was really solid--16 points on 5-9 FG (1-1 behind the arc) and 5-5 from the FT line. Let's see how she does after the all star break, might possibly salvage her rookie year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom