Moriah and WNBA ROY | The Boneyard

Moriah and WNBA ROY

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I posted this in another thread but thought it deserved its own!
I am surprised that while everyone sees Stewart as the runaway ROY, no one seems to mention Moriah as the second best rookie - she has been really good from the first game. Some stats:
Minutes: Stewart #1 (35.1), Moriah #2 (29.4), #3 is Mitchell at 21.4 and no other rookie is above 20.
Points: Stewart #1 (18.2), Moriah #2 (12.5), #3 is Powers at 10.2 and no other is above 10
Field goal %: Stewart #4 (45.2), Moriah #6 (43.3 and #1 guard), Courtney Williams (40.9) is the only other guard above 40
3Pt %: Moriah #3 at 40.6 %, and the only one of the three taking more than 1 three point shot a game (2.9) No one else making more than 1.0 attempts is above 35.5% (Ariel Powers)
Rebounds: Stewart #1, Moriah #8 and the #2 guard behind Williams
Assists: Moriah #1 (4.1), Stewart #2 (3.6), #3 Mitchell at 1.5
A/TO: Moriah #1 (2.3), Stewart # 5 (1.6) - Belyakova at 2.1 is th only other 'rookie' above 2.0
Steals: Moriah #1 (1.5), Stewart #2 (1.2) - #3 Powers at 1.0 is the other rookie at or above 1.0

I know that most of the above are raw numbers and per 40 numbers would move both Stewart and Jefferson down some of the stats, but the criteria for POY/ROY is really raw numbers driven - how much do you produce per game for your team, and if you are only playing 15 minutes, then obviously your coach doesn't think you are producing enough compared to their other options!

Aside:
During a Seattle game, there was a comment about the coach - she was saying that they had expected Stewart to have a positive effect on the team, obviously, but what really surprised the coaching staff was how that broke down - offensively this year's team was scoring something like 10 more points per 40 minutes when she was on the floor than when she was on the bench, but defensively she was even more effective, Seattle was giving up something like 15 fewer points per 40 when Stewart was playing. I do not have the correct numbers, but they were impressive. (I suspect if anyone checked with SA Moriah might be having an even greater effect on her team! :rolleyes:)

Reaction Score
If I give you 10-1 odd on Moriah winning ROY over Stewie, would you take it ?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I am surprised that while everyone sees Stewart as the runaway ROY, no one seems to mention Moriah as the second best rookie - she has been really good from the first game. Some stats:
Minutes: Stewart #1 (35.1), Moriah #2 (29.4), #3 is Mitchell at 21.4 and no other rookie is above 20.
Points: Stewart #1 (18.2), Moriah #2 (12.5), #3 is Powers at 10.2 and no other is above 10
Field goal %: Stewart #4 (45.2), Moriah #6 (43.3 and #1 guard), Courtney Williams (40.9) is the only other guard above 40
3Pt %: Moriah #3 at 40.6 %, and the only one of the three taking more than 1 three point shot a game (2.9) No one else making more than 1.0 attempts is above 35.5% (Ariel Powers)
A/TO: Moriah #1 (2.3), Stewart # 5 (1.6) - Belyakova at 2.1 is th only other 'rookie' above 2.0
Steals: Moriah #1 (1.5), Stewart #2 (1.2) - #3 Powers at 1.0 is the other rookie at or above 1.0

I know that most of the above are raw numbers and per 40 numbers would move both Stewart and Jefferson down some of the stats, but the criteria for POY/ROY is really raw numbers driven - how much do you produce per game for your team, and if you are only playing 15 minutes, then obviously your coach doesn't think you are producing enough compared to their other options!

Aside:
During a Seattle game, there was a comment about the coach - she was saying that they had expected Stewart to have a positive effect on the team, obviously, but what really surprised the coaching staff was how that broke down - offensively this year's team was scoring something like 10 more points per 40 minutes when she was on the floor than when she was on the bench, but defensively she was even more effective, Seattle was giving up something like 15 fewer points per 40 when Stewart was playing. I do not have the correct numbers, but they were impressive. (I suspect if anyone checked with SA Moriah might be having an even greater effect on her team! :rolleyes:)

All of your comments are noted. BUT................. I like Mo. Mo was my favorite UConn player last year. That being said, based on all of the things Stewie is doing for her team, and the positive affects she has had on her team this year, if I had a ROY vote, I'd have to give it to Stewie. Stewie has taken all of the things she did/learned at the college level, and brought them with her to the W. Stewie also made the college to the W transition very quickly. She did not appear to be out of her element during the Olympic games as either.

Mo has done a fantastic job in San Antonio assuming the lead role (chief floor general) after team leader, and leading scorer Kayla McBride went down early in the season with a season ending knee injury.
It was not in the plans of the Stars head coach Dan Hughes for rookie Moriah Jefferson to take on that role this year. But (like with the Dallas Cowboys & Romo) anyone can go down at any time, then it's the next man up. In this case, that next man was Mo.

It's interesting that Hughes didn't ask or turn to any of the other veteran guards to step into that role. The coach told Mo: "this is YOUR team now". She's responded better than I thought she would her first year. She made that college to pro transition real quick as well.

Mo is a good player on a horrible team. IMO the Stars need no less than 3 more solid starting players (in addition to McBride) that can score and play defense before they can realistically expect to contend for a playoff spot. Remember the immortal words of The NFL - HOF head coach "Bill Parcells:" You are what your record says you are". The Stars had the 2nd pick in the draft this year. They "earned" that pick, it wasn't given to them. They'll be a lottery team again this year guaranteed. They have a league worst 6-22 record, with 6 games left as of this writing. The Stars struck solid gold when they tabbed Mo with their first pick in the draft. She has lived up to all of their expectations. That should not be a surprise. Her pedigree and back ground suggests nothing less. ;)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If I give you 10-1 odd on Moriah winning ROY over Stewie, would you take it ?
No! Stewart has it locked up. I just think very few people are mentioning what an outstanding year Moriah is having and I wanted to highlight that.

Carnac - if you notice, i clearly stated that 'no one seems to mention that Moriah is the second best rookie...' - I am certainly not disputing Stewart as the best rookie.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just as an added little piece: Sue Bird's rookie year of 2002 she joined a team that had missed the playoffs the previous year with a record of 10-22, but they had a rookie that year Lauren Jackson that would go on to be one of the best ever in the WNBA. Seattle in 2002 made the playoffs with a record of 17-15 with Sue and Lauren leading the way. Sues stats that rookie year:
35 mpg, 14.4 ppg, at .403/.401, with 2.6 rebounds, 6.0 assists and an A/TO of 1.8, and 1.7 steals per game.

Given that Sue was playing on a significantly better team, the stats are pretty comparable.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It's just not a conversation that happens. I don't hear anyone talking about the 2nd best defensive player or 2nd most improved player either.

I don't think many people (beyond the odd homer) would dispute Jefferson as 2nd best.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think there's a consensus that Moriah is the #2 rookie. She's having an outstanding year for a weak team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't know - I hear a lot of praise for Powers and Mitchell on broadcasts, and certainly Williams is coming on strongly with CT.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Powers is playing well. Mitchell played well when she started, but she's behind Shenice Johnson on the depth chart, now that Shenice has healed.

Williams is playing well for the Sun, but her number are not that high. And her numbers in Phoenix were low.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Powers is playing well. Mitchell played well when she started, but she's behind Shenice Johnson on the depth chart, now that Shenice has healed.

Williams is playing well for the Sun, but her number are not that high. And her numbers in Phoenix were low.
She barely played in Phoenix.

Reaction Score

Aside:

Your last sentence says it all, to me.
Pound for pound, inch for inch, which player means the most to her team?? It is difficult to assess?
Maybe, but --Stew is having an exceptional year. No one, at least no one in their right mind, expect the mighty one (MJ) to be put in the position, then fulfill that necessity. Mo has little to back her up Stewie has a few who could carry the load.
If I were voting--my loyalty is split--but my vote would be to the person/player who meant the most to their team. I know who I'd pick--your choice may be different.

Reaction Score
All of your comments are noted. BUT....... I like Mo. Mo was my favorite UConn player last year. That being said, based on all of the things Stewie is doing for her team, and the positive affects she has had on her team this year, if I had a ROY vote, I'd have to give it to Stewie. Stewie has taken all of the things she did/learned at the college level, and brought them with her to the W. Stewie also made the college to the W transition very quickly. She did not appear to be out of her element during the Olympic games as either.

Mo has done a fantastic job in San Antonio assuming the lead role (chief floor general) after team leader, and leading scorer Kayla McBride went down early in the season with a season ending knee injury.
It was not in the plans of the Stars head coach Dan Hughes for rookie Moriah Jefferson to take on that role this year. But (like with the Dallas Cowboys & Romo) anyone can go down at any time, then it's the next man up. In this case, that next man was Mo.

It's interesting that Hughes didn't ask or turn to any of the other veteran guards to step into that role. The coach told Mo: "this is YOUR team now". She's responded better than I thought she would her first year. She made that college to pro transition real quick as well.

Mo is a good player on a horrible team. IMO the Stars need no less than 3 more solid starting players (in addition to McBride) that can score and play defense before they can realistically expect to contend for a playoff spot. Remember the immortal words of The NFL - HOF head coach "Bill Parcells:" You are what your record says you are". The Stars had the 2nd pick in the draft this year. They "earned" that pick, it wasn't given to them. They'll be a lottery team again this year guaranteed. They have a league worst 6-22 record, with 6 games left as of this writing. The Stars struck solid gold when they tabbed Mo with their first pick in the draft. She has lived up to all of their expectations. That should not be a surprise. Her pedigree and back ground suggests nothing less. ;)

Parcells--comment not withstanding, a team is more than just it's record. Moriah Jefferson is proving that. I suspect that the Mighty One has helped attendance-- and too she has to give the team a better feeling of itself.
AS in all things in sports --if you are on a winning team your chance of being recognized with an award is much better--Players of the Year usually come from the Champs.
My Recruit/Player of the Year has to be Moriah, who against all odds--weight, height, team has excelled beyond that which any recruit should be asked to do..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom