Morgantown Blues | The Boneyard

Morgantown Blues

Reaction Score
How often do we have to struggle with a lead in the last few minutes for something to change. I’m so curious what happens in practice in these 2 minute drills because im positive I saw nothing of it in this game.

Akok gets rebounds because he’s long. He also never blocks out( or never blocks out successfully.) It seems no one really does on our team but with Akok it’s apparent. I know Samson doesn’t do much but i’m getting to the point where I see him absorb most of Akok’s minutes. They’re virtually the same player but Samson is like 3 years younger. Akok just does absolutely nothing on offense.

Jackson/Gaff/Hawk I know they had varying success in this game, but the overall feeling I get watching them is not of confidence. Gaff and Hawk never look confident with the balls. AJax looks and acts TOO confident with the ball. He thinks he’s Lonzo Ball, but doesn’t have the attributes. They don’t help Cole at all because they are pretty much just babysitting the ball until he gets it back. They never offer any threat to drive.

With Polley, i’ve said over and over, if he’s 0-4 or something to start the night, he needs to sit. He doesn’t offer anything besides being a streaky shooter, and I wouldn’t even consider him streaky anymore. He plays matador defense and can’t rebound.

Whaley on the face had a good game, but he let a terrible offensive player who is significantly smaller than him bully him into fouls and rebounds. And Whaley getting 3 rebounds while playing 30 minutes in a game with 60 missed shots is just ridiculous.

I can’t say anything bad about Cole. He played good defense, made some shots, and had all the pressure on him. His team and Coach don’t do him any favors to get him out of sticky situations. Anytime he’s in the weight of the offense is on his shoulders alone. It comes down to poor coaching, and obviously poor personnel to help him.

This offense is just so juvenile. It’s like Hurley just sends them out there and says do whatever it is you do in pickup. It is on the fault of the players to make shots though. 3-23 is unforgivable, especially when probably half were wide open. But at the end of the night, we lost to a mediocre team who shot 44% from the line and 40% overall. The lack of ability to play with the lead in close games down the stretch is staggering, because it happens to us so often. This is what Big East play is going to look like, and it’s gonna be frustrating a lot.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Jackson was arguably our best player. At least he did something. Akok did as well, rebounding and getting open while nobody would pass to him. Instead we relied on Polley and Hawk who couldn’t hit the water from the beach. Shooters failed us. Not much more to be said about it. Cole was atrocious outside as well. Refs sucked but so did WVU from the line.

Reaction Score
Jackson was arguably our best player. At least he did something. Akok did as well, rebounding and getting open while nobody would pass to him. Instead we relied on Polley and Hawk who couldn’t hit the water from the beach. Shooters failed us. Not much more to be said about it. Cole was atrocious outside as well. Refs sucked but so did WVU from the line.
Just to be clear you think Akok played a good game tonight? I know he's your guy but I thought tonight was finally gonna be the game we'd get an objective post from you on him

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Just to be clear you think Akok played a good game tonight? I know he's your guy but I thought tonight was finally gonna be the game we'd get an objective post from you on him

Yes. Rebounded. Passed. Defended probably as well as anyone did. Several times set screens and rolled or moved open only to be ignored. Open your eyes. Without his D we lose big.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Be honest, he lived in your house when he was in high school or something?

He would have been better fed. The guy was active and blocked shots and rebounded. He’s to blame for Hawk and Polley missing 12 3s?

Reaction Score
He would have been better fed. The guy was active and blocked shots and rebounded. He’s to blame for Hawk and Polley missing 12 3s?

Hawkins and Polley were bad, no question (although I'm convinced that in addition to you housing Akok in high school Polley must have said something rude to your wife). But I want Akok to step up and make a positive impact on a game and his 10 rebounds are about the quietest stat I can imagine. He also got absolutely cooked on a pnr right off the jump so I'll take your word for it on the defense he played.

God this team is frustrating.

Reaction Score
How often do we have to struggle with a lead in the last few minutes for something to change. I’m so curious what happens in practice in these 2 minute drills because im positive I saw nothing of it in this game.

Akok gets rebounds because he’s long. He also never blocks out( or never blocks out successfully.) It seems no one really does on our team but with Akok it’s apparent. I know Samson doesn’t do much but i’m getting to the point where I see him absorb most of Akok’s minutes. They’re virtually the same player but Samson is like 3 years younger. Akok just does absolutely nothing on offense.

Jackson/Gaff/Hawk I know they had varying success in this game, but the overall feeling I get watching them is not of confidence. Gaff and Hawk never look confident with the balls. AJax looks and acts TOO confident with the ball. He thinks he’s Lonzo Ball, but doesn’t have the attributes. They don’t help Cole at all because they are pretty much just babysitting the ball until he gets it back. They never offer any threat to drive.

With Polley, i’ve said over and over, if he’s 0-4 or something to start the night, he needs to sit. He doesn’t offer anything besides being a streaky shooter, and I wouldn’t even consider him streaky anymore. He plays matador defense and can’t rebound.

Whaley on the face had a good game, but he let a terrible offensive player who is significantly smaller than him bully him into fouls and rebounds. And Whaley getting 3 rebounds while playing 30 minutes in a game with 60 missed shots is just ridiculous.

I can’t say anything bad about Cole. He played good defense, made some shots, and had all the pressure on him. His team and Coach don’t do him any favors to get him out of sticky situations. Anytime he’s in the weight of the offense is on his shoulders alone. It comes down to poor coaching, and obviously poor personnel to help him.

This offense is just so juvenile. It’s like Hurley just sends them out there and says do whatever it is you do in pickup. It is on the fault of the players to make shots though. 3-23 is unforgivable, especially when probably half were wide open. But at the end of the night, we lost to a mediocre team who shot 44% from the line and 40% overall. The lack of ability to play with the lead in close games down the stretch is staggering, because it happens to us so often. This is what Big East play is going to look like, and it’s gonna be frustrating a lot.
it's amazing the team is competitive, with the minutes they play, Jackson, Akok, Gaffney, Polley don't help too much.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hawkins and Polley were bad, no question (although I'm convinced that in addition to you housing Akok in high school Polley must have said something rude to your wife). But I want Akok to step up and make a positive impact on a game and his 10 rebounds are about the quietest stat I can imagine. He also got absolutely cooked on a pnr right off the jump so I'll take your word for it on the defense he played.

God this team is frustrating.
With you on frustrating. As for Akok on offense, I’d ask, did they get him the ball? He was the 5 today. Was he less active getting open than Sanogo or….did they simply not try to get him the ball. He is our best screener by miles and was complaining to Cole that he ran PnR and nobody gave it back. Watch it over. See what you see. He isn’t a guard.

Reaction Score
With you on frustrating. As for Akok on offense, I’d ask, did they get him the ball? He was the 5 today. Was he less active getting open than Sanogo or….did they simply not try to get him the ball. He is our best screener by miles and was complaining to Cole that he ran PnR and nobody gave it back. Watch it over. See what you see. He isn’t a guard.
Turned down a wide open three late, inexplicably missed a layup late and, and inexplicably didn't box out on a ft which pretty much sealed our fate. 10 rebounds are nice but these were all losing plays and you should score more than 2 points in 31 minutes by accident.

Reaction Score

They are not a very smart team. They make too many dumb mistakes. But they do hustle and play hard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom