Morgan Tuck | The Boneyard

Morgan Tuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't follow the Sun or WNBA as closely as some of you. Does anyone have any thoughts as to why Morgan is struggling to get minutes and put up numbers when she does get playing time. Is she completely healthy? Is she just undergoing the normal transition from the college game to the WNBA game that many players need time to adjust to. Are her talents and skill set suitable for the professional game? Morgan was a great leader at UCONN are there any signs that she could emerge as a leader in the WNBA for the Sun or elsewhere. Morgan was a great favorite of mine and I would hate to think she would end up as a career journeyman.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
I don't follow the Sun or WNBA as closely as some of you. Does anyone have any thoughts as to why Morgan is struggling to get minutes and put up numbers when she does get playing time. Is she completely healthy? Is she just undergoing the normal transition from the college game to the WNBA game that many players need time to adjust to. Are her talents and skill set suitable for the professional game? Morgan was a great leader at UCONN are there any signs that she could emerge as a leader in the WNBA for the Sun or elsewhere. Morgan was a great favorite of mine and I would hate to think she would end up as a career journeyman.

I wouldn't exactly say that Morgan "is struggling to get minutes," she is sixth on the team in minutes played per game at 17.9 min. She is also sixth in scoring at 7.4 points per game. So clearly, she is the first option off the bench. The challenge for Morgan is to break into the starting lineup, which she can do and it could very well happen this year. This is just the beginning of her career, so I don't see how anyone can draw the conclusion based on her stats thus far that she as on her way to being a journey(wo)man. Unlike MoJeff and Stewie, she is on a team with lots of young talent, many of whom are high draft picks like her, so she will need to go through a phase of proving herself in order to get playing time, and clearly she is doing that based on her minutes played. Among all rookies in the WNBA, she is 5th in minutes played. I would say her skills are well suited to the WNBA and she is off to a fine start. I think she has a bright future with the Sun and in the WNBA. You can see all of Morgan's and Sun team stats here: Stats - Connecticut Sun
You can also see how all rookies are performing in the WNBA here: Player Stats - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

Minutes Points
Alex Bentley 30.8 14.4
Alyssa Thomas 25.2 10.6
Jasmine Thomas 32.0 10.2
Camille Little 21.9 8.3
Chiney Ogwumike 19.6 8.1
Morgan Tuck 17.9 7.4
Jonquel Jones 12.5 5.2
Shekinna Stricklen 12.3 4.7
Rachel Banham 11.4 3.9
Courtney Williams 6.5 3.5
Kelly Faris 11.4 2.5
Aneika Henry-Morello 5.6 1.3

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My take on your inquiry: At UConn, Morgan was an All American playing with other All Americans. The players they usually played against were inferior talent wise. Morgan was usually bigger than the people guarding her. Morgan did not have to play BIG every night.

That's not the case in Uncasville. The players she's facing now are as big or bigger, sometimes faster (she can't get around them as easily) and are more experienced. I would not worry about Morgan. She's a mature no non-sense young lady, who takes her WNBA opportunity very seriously. Morgan will be fine. This time next year, I think you'll see a much more relaxed and a bit more "polished" Morgan Tuck. Morgan is a gamer.

HGN

Reaction Score
Baro , I wouldn't worry too much about Morgan.........She will adjust to the WNBA. I think Morgan is accustomed to 'regular' playing time and a much more structured rotation than she is seeing.
Currently it appears , Morgan might start ; she might get in for 5--10min ; or 15-20 mins ; or get no playing time at all ; she never knows. Seemingly no one does. And for an athlete , that can be a tough mental adjustment. Never knowing what to expect on game day. Whether you will start :) , or not even get in the game :( . Once she knows what her role will permanently be with the Sun I think she will be a productive contributor.

HGN

Reaction Score
Baro , I wouldn't worry too much about Morgan.........She will adjust to the WNBA. I think Morgan is accustomed to 'regular' playing time and a much more structured rotation than she is seeing.
Currently it appears , Morgan might start ; she might get in for 5--10min ; or 15-20 mins ; or get no playing time at all ; she never knows. Seemingly no one does. And for an athlete , that can be a tough mental adjustment. Never knowing what to expect on game day. Whether you will start :) , or not even get in the game :( . Once she knows what her role will permanently be with the Sun I think she will be a productive contributor.

Reaction Score

Good question that calls for refinement. Morgan has played double-digit minutes in every game but one- before the last game, in which she only played 5 minutes and change. So one should ask the question of why she only got on the floor for 5 minutes in her last game. Is her knee acting up? Or is her relatively low-scoring causing the coach to rethink giving her those minutes? She scored a season-low 3 points against Dallas in her last game.

So instead of speculating, perhaps some intrepid member of the media could, well, you know, ask Sun management or Sun coaches, "What's up with Morgan? Is her knee being given a rest? Is there dissatisfaction with her low scoring?"

Until we get the answers straight from the horse's mouth, it's all idle speculation.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Morgan was never the fastest player on the court, but she has some very nice post moves that were very effective against college players. In the WNBA she is facing many players who are quicker with equal or greater size. Tuck's value is going to come away from the basket with her ability to hit the three pointer. She is never going to dominate inside like she was able to do in college.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Morgan was never the fastest player on the court, but she has some very nice post moves that were very effective against college players. In the WNBA she is facing many players who are quicker with equal or greater size. Tuck's value is going to come away from the basket with her ability to hit the three pointer. She is never going to dominate inside like she was able to do in college.
well said

Reaction Score
I would like to see her on Seattle, with Stewie, Sue, and Jewell, she can set screens, pass, knows how to run the pick and roll. Morgan would be effective on a team like Seattle. Seattle should trade a player, and 1st rd pick for 2017 for Morgan. She would be a big improvement for Clark in the starting lineup.

Reaction Score

Have to disagree. She is a wide body. She's big, wide, powerful, and her inside moves are unmatched. No post player or forward dominates in the WNBA the way she did in college (Look at Britney Griner! Not anywhere near as intimidating as she was in college, though her last game was redolent of that era). Tuck is smooth as silk. She's going to be a force inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom