Morgan Tuck - All-American | The Boneyard

Morgan Tuck - All-American

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
IMO Morgan is an absolute terrific player and deserved to be on that Wooden List over at least one of the players. I still am expecting she gets all-American honors this year. It seems her game vs Notre Dame has been totally forgotten though.

The thing is - next year I don't see how she gets 1st team a/a next year if a player or two doesn't leave like Jewel or the kid from Minny.

Just off the top - we've got Stewie, MoJeff, Jewel, Mitchell, the kid from Minny, Diamond D, Nina Davis, Kelsey Plum and you know that USC and ND are going to win a lot of games thus be right there for adding a 2nd - i.e. Turner and Wilson.

That's 10 right there- and Tuck against the top 3 teams we played this year has averaged 18.3 ppg with 7.3 rebounds and is shooting 59.5% from the floor.

I want to see her "on the wall."

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't see Morgan making an All American team this year as she didn't have any preseason publicity. She'll also be held back as there's a good chance that Stewart, Moriah and Kaleena will make an All American team. Voters won't award four UConn players All American Status. Morgan I would think has a good chance next year to make All American.

It will be interesting to see if Kiah gets any love for Defensive Player of the Year. She should over Eliz Williams.

Reaction Score
It's a numbers game. The 4th UConn player is very unlikely to get recognition, particularly as a soph. Perhaps a small shot at honorable mention.

But you don't come to UConn for individual accolades.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hoop,
Java started a similar thread a few weeks back which evolved into a discussion of Morgan's chance of making All American.
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/after-last-nights-game-its-going-to-be-difficult-to-determine.72372/
The most important thing I got out of it from Myers is there are two flavors AP & WBCA of all-America. WBCA is what determines being on UCONN Wall of honor. Morgan has a shot at making WBCA All America this year. I don't think anyone has forgotten about her performance against ND 1) becaused she backed it up with an equally impressive game against SC 2) She gave UCONN a fighting chance in the OT at Stanford before fouling out. The performances are there the only thing that may keep her off WBCA is UCONN fatigue-too many good players which would be a darn shame!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The thing is that Morgan has not been consistent enough lately and her numbers have dropped. Having said that at 13.6 PPG she's just a tad behind KML at 13.9 PPG. I think it's unlikely Morgan is on any AA teams this year. Next year I would say she has a much larger chance.

Reaction Score
Morgan rocks..... key player in our rotation..... leadership role..... she is the glue!!! Hope she is recognized as such....

HGN

Reaction Score
I think if Morgan plays well during the NCAA's , and garners the publicity the NCAA's will allow , she just may get on a AA list.....Publicity is what she lacks , not skill. Sure she didn't get the Pre-season nominations like the others , and the other nominees have played well for the most part. But many of those nominee's will not make the Elite-8 or FF. And if UConn makes it , it will allow Morgan to showcase her worthiness and abundant skills to the AA voters. And winning a NC on top of showcasing her skills will help in getting votes.

As the song lyrics states; " It Ain't Over".

Reaction Score
I think if Morgan plays well during the NCAA's , and garners the publicity the NCAA's will allow , she just may get on a AA list.....Publicity is what she lacks , not skill. Sure she didn't get the Pre-season nominations like the others , and the other nominees have played well for the most part. But many of those nominee's will not make the Elite-8 or FF. And if UConn makes it , it will allow Morgan to showcase her worthiness and abundant skills to the AA voters. And winning a NC on top of showcasing her skills will help in getting votes.

AA votes are done before the Final 4. In fact I think before the NCAA tourney.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I agree with all he above, BUT what worries me is that any support that Morgan gets seems likely to detract from the support for MoJet. It would be a crime if MuJet graduated without have achieved first team WCBA honors.

Reaction Score
Thanks java I didn't see that before or if I did - it didn't sink in at the time.

IMO we're way too dominant to not have a 4th player with at least as a 3rd team a/a. We've blown out two of the top 4 teams in America and Tuck was spectacular in one and terrific in another.

And eric- I don't necessarily agree that she hasn't been consistent. In a way I do. But - sure she isn't consistently shooting near 60% from the floor-- she is shooting 56.7% from the floor in her last 10/11. She is 4 to in assists vs 1 turnovers uring that time. So she is shooting the ball extremely well, passing the ball extremely well, ispart of a juggernaut defense and her scoring is limited by the minutes she plays.

If nobody is close to us- then why can't there be 4? The 2001-202 team got 4. This team "shares the ball." That's why for example Tuck in her last 10 has a 4-1 a/to ratio Right now it is nearly 2-1 a/to ratio for a pf/c that is number one in the country with her terrific shooting - imo a travesty of she doesn't get 3rd team. She's too damn good.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The 2001-202 team got 4.
2002 team had 3 UCONN players as did 2009 & 2014.
2002 WBCA
Chantelle Anderson, Vanderbilt
Alana Beard, Duke
Sue Bird, Connecticut
Swin Cash, Connecticut
Stacey Dales, Oklahoma
Sheila Lambert, Baylor
Kelly Mazzante, Penn State
Nicole Powell, Stanford
Diana Taurasi, Connecticut
LaToya Thomas, Mississippi State

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The most important thing I got out of it from Myers is there are two flavors AP & WBCA of all-America. WBCA is what determines being on UCONN Wall of honor.
Umm not quite. There is actually the

AP (which does 1st, 2nd, 3rd teams, 5 each - only 1st team would make WoH)
WBCA (which does 10 members) (formally Kodak or State Farm AAs)

Either of them would get you on the wall. Of course if you are 1st team AP (top 5), pretty likely you'd make WBCA top 10.

There is also
USBWA (which does a 10 member)
ESPNW (which does I think 1st and 2nd team - 5 each)

Don't know if they would count or not. Usually if you are on one of these, you are on the other 2.

For NPOY there is:

Naismith (Atlanta Tip Off Club)
Wade (WBCA)
Wooden (LA Athletic Club)
AP (writers)

Any of them and you're NPOY.

Reaction Score
The 2001-2002 team got 4.

01-02 was
- likely the greatest WCBB team ever
- undefeated
- had 4 seniors (SRs always get preference on AA teams) and a super soph

This year's team aint 01-02. That's no insult.

Also few showcase games. SC was home, ND was w/o Turner, Duke was Duke, Stan was a L.

HGN

Reaction Score
AA votes are done before the Final 4. In fact I think before the NCAA tourney.
Vowel, ok.....But if the voting was later ... You get my point.

Reaction Score
2002 WBCA
Alana Beard, Duke
Sue Bird, Connecticut
Swin Cash, Connecticut

Stacey Dales, Oklahoma
Sheila Lambert, Baylor
Nicole Powell, Stanford

For the AP in 2001-2002 Bird got 1stteam. DT and Cash got 2nd team. And Jones got 3rd team. Here is a link to show Jones as 3rd team. Look at the bottom for awards. We had 4 all-americans in 01-02.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asjha_Jones

Reaction Score
2002 WBCA
Alana Beard, Duke
Sue Bird, Connecticut
Swin Cash, Connecticut

Stacey Dales, Oklahoma
Sheila Lambert, Baylor
Nicole Powell, Stanford

An absolute tragedy that Swin Cash wasn't a first team AP All-American. Leading scorer and rebounder on the greatest college team ever. She was the best forward in the country that year.

Reaction Score
I agree with all he above, BUT what worries me is that any support that Morgan gets seems likely to detract from the support for MoJet. It would be a crime if MuJet graduated without have achieved first team WCBA honors.

I don't think they will deny MoJett this year. Not after she completely outplayed the reigning SEC POY on both ends of the court. She and Loyd are the two best guards in WCBB and it's not even close.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Fact is, UConn has four of the best ten plaqyers in the country. Other fact is, the selectors are not going to put all four of them on the WBCA first team. Sad but true.

Reaction Score
Fact is, UConn has four of the best ten plaqyers in the country. Other fact is, the selectors are not going to put all four of them on the WBCA first team. Sad but true.
Nor are they going to put 3 of them on the first team

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nor are they going to put 3 of them on the first team
I'm not sure if I agree. There are lots of good players out there, so the competition is tough, but Moriah is simply taking games over at this point and Kaleena is possibly the best shooter ever. It's hard to leave either one off the list. And Stewie, of course, is a lock.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if I agree. There are lots of good players out there, so the competition is tough, but Moriah is simply taking games over at this point and Kaleena is possibly the best shooter ever. It's hard to leave either one off the list. And Stewie, of course, is a lock.
Agree Stewie is a lock. Don't disagree about Kaleena and Moriah deserving first team, but deserving isn't the same as getting. I think the chances of all 3 getting on the first team are very small.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Agree Stewie is a lock. Don't disagree about Kaleena and Moriah deserving first team, but deserving isn't the same as getting. I think the chances of all 3 getting on the first team are very small.
I'm not saying that all 3 will make it, but it is possible and reasonable. Which one would you leave off?

Reaction Score
I'm not saying that all 3 will make it, but it is possible and reasonable. Which one would you leave off?
I probably wouldn't, but I'm not an impartial voter. Suspect Stewart and KML will be first team, especially if KML starts getting noticed for being on pace to break the 3 point record. Moriah 2nd team. Don't think Morgan has the stats or getting enough national buzz to be voted for any honors this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I probably wouldn't, but I'm not an impartial voter. Suspect Stewart and KML will be first team, especially if KML starts getting noticed for being on pace to break the 3 point record. Moriah 2nd team. Don't think Morgan has the stats or getting enough national buzz to be voted for any honors this year.
I agree that publicity matters. If KML stays ahead of Morgan Eye and on pace to surpass 392, along with being a senior, I think she gets the nod. Unless Moriah absolutely terrorizes other teams with steals, darts to the basket, and the long ball.

I can see Morgan making Honorable Mention. Next year, she'll move up.

I think the award voting takes place after the conference tourneys but before the NCAA tourney. Can someone verify that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom