Morehead St - Statistical Postgame Analysis | The Boneyard

Morehead St - Statistical Postgame Analysis

Reaction Score
Josh Carlton: 27 MIN, 17 PTS, 8-10 FG, 1-2 FT, 8 REB, 2 STL, 2 BLK, 2 TO
Carlton as everyone has said, had a good game. Nothing too flashy besides one spin move out of a double team. He just did a great job of living within the flow of the offense and taking what came to him. It helped that we passed into the post consistently for the first time in 3 years. He was solid protecting the rim and grabbing rebounds too, which we really need from him, especially with Polley playing the 4.

Alterique Gilbert: 30 MIN, 15 PTS, 5-12 FG, 2-4 3PT, 3-4 FT, 4 REB, 4 AST, 2 TO
Gilbert was really solid. Moved the ball, shot it well from deep, and wasn't afraid to get into the lane. He did miss a couple bunnies though.

Tarin Smith: 30 MIN, 4-10 FG, 1-3 3PT, 3-4 FT, 4 REB, 4 AST, 1 STL, 1 BLK, 1 TO
Smith looked great. Was great on defense, had a 4:1 assist to turnover ratio, and the team played noticeably better with him on the court. His double clutch dunk and pump fake were both highlight plays. Really liked him tonight.

Jalen Adams: 16 PTS, 22 MIN, 7-12 FG, 0-2 3PT, 2-3 FT, 2 REB, 2 AST, 1 BLK, 1 TO
People seemed disappointed with him, but he was money inside of the arc. The game seemed like it was slowed down for him. When he wanted to get to the rim he was basically unimpeded every time. If he was feeling it from 3 at all he would have put up a monster line without people taking much notice.

Brendan Adams: 20 MIN, 6 PTS, 2-5 FG, 2-4 3PT, 1 TO
Seemed really timid until he saw that first 3 go in. Hopefully he gets more aggressive like we saw in exhibition. Still, 2-4 from 3 is a sight for sore eyes after the past couple of years.

Christian Vital: 30 MIN, 8 PTS, 3-8 FG, 1-4 3PT, 1-2 FT, 8 REB, 3 AST, 3 STL, 1 BLK, 4 TO
He's frustrating. He hustles like crazy, plays solid D, and rebounded very well for his position like always. But man, he is a disaster with the ball in his hands. 3 of his turnovers directly caused buckets for the other team.

Tyler Polley: 22 MIN, 6 PTS, 2-6 FG, 1-4 3 PT, 1-2 FT, 3 REB, 1 AST, 1 BLK, 0 TO
I like that Polley actually drove a couple of times tonight. Still could be a lot more aggressive, but noticeably was a bit more assertive. Still needs to hit the boards harder.

Others: Whaley had a couple nice blocks and hustle plays in limited time. Cobb missed a bunny and his man scored a few times in limited action. Not a good showing from him.

UConn shot poorly from 3 to begin the game and left a lot of points at the line and at the rim, but still easily won. I hate to complain about the refs, but it really felt like they we what kept Morehead remotely in the game tonight. A lot of soft fouls. Our defense could have been a lot better too. Playing pressure man with so many guards, there's no reason we should be letting up 28 3PA, especially with their PG #0 being one of the worst D1 guards I've ever seen. A lot to work on, but a solid start.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Vital got the ball ripped more tonight than any player in any game I've ever seen. Seemed like everytime he touched it Morehead had a hand on it

Reaction Score
Great post! Completely agree with you on Tarin Smith (a lot to like) and Vital being frustrating to watch at times. His turnover leading to easy buckets for the other team has been a pattern since his freshman year, but his rebounding numbers are always nice.

I know its just one game, but when it comes to the eye test a core of Jalen, Alterique, Carlton, and Smith looks like a really strong group of 4, coupled with some good supporting players.

Looking forward to seeing what Sid can add too.

Reaction Score
I like Tarin Smith. Think he’s a solid role player, but he seems to struggle to create separation in 1-on-1 situations. Was evident when he had the ball late in the shot clock, especially compared to a guy like AG. Overall big upgrade from herky-jerky style of Anderson from last year though.

CV played out of control much of the game. Just seems to force too much. Think he’d be a really good 20-minute energy guy off the bench on a very good team. Last couple of years he’s just been asked to do too much.

Feel like Brendan Adams is a guy who will get better every game. Will be a really nice 4 year guy.

Reaction Score
Christian Vital: 30 MIN, 8 PTS, 3-8 FG, 1-4 3PT, 1-2 FT, 8 REB, 3 AST, 3 STL, 1 BLK, 4 TO
He's frustrating. He hustles like crazy, plays solid D, and rebounded very well for his position like always. But man, he is a disaster with the ball in his hands. 3 of his turnovers directly caused buckets for the other team.

Live ball turnovers are a killer.

They're -1+PPP from your offense and around 1.2PPP against (with TOs above FT line from a guard probably closer to 1.75). 3 of those is a net of 6-8 point differential right there.

Reaction Score
Live ball turnovers are a killer.
The overdribbling one at the top of the key... I was convinced Calhoun or Hurley Sr. was going to come through the wall like the Kool Aid man and send the kid into a different dimension.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom