More WNIT results: SMU wins, GW loses | The Boneyard

More WNIT results: SMU wins, GW loses

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Today marked the completion of first-round play in the WNIT.

SMU gutted out a tough win in OT at home over Louisiana Tech, 75-70. Alicia Froling had 28 points and 13 rebounds for SMU. The Mustangs will next host Abilene Christian on Monday. (And Brooke Stoehr IMO deserves a medal for rescuing the Lady Techsters from the dumpster fire that Tyler Summitt left behind.)

George Washington
lost in OT at home to Navy, 61-51. GW held a 48-41 lead with 4:00 to play, but was outscored 20-3 over the final 9 minutes of play. That hurts. Navy will next play Virginia Tech on Sunday.

Six out of today's 12 games were won by the visiting team. In addition to the GW-Navy game, the other two results that I would consider surprising are Fordham winning at Georgetown (60-49) and UC Davis winning at Utah (72-62). The Aggies of UC Davis were the regular-season champion of the Big West (same conference as Long Beach State).

Plebe

Reaction Score
Some intriguing matchups coming up in the 2nd round:
  • Washington State at Wyoming (Saturday)
  • South Dakota at Iowa (Saturday)
  • Colorado at South Dakota State (Sunday)
  • UCF at Georgia Tech (Sunday)
  • Grambling State at Tulane (Sunday)
  • Wake Forest at Middle Tennessee (Sunday)
  • Virginia at James Madison (Sunday)
  • Abilene Christian at SMU (Monday)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Today marked the completion of first-round play in the WNIT.

SMU gutted out a tough win in OT at home over Louisiana Tech, 75-70. Alicia Froling had 28 points and 13 rebounds for SMU. The Mustangs will next host Abilene Christian on Monday. (And Brooke Stoehr IMO deserves a medal for rescuing the Lady Techsters from the dumpster fire that Tyler Summitt left behind.)

George Washington
lost in OT at home to Navy, 61-51. GW held a 48-41 lead with 4:00 to play, but was outscored 20-3 over the final 9 minutes of play. That hurts. Navy will next play Virginia Tech on Sunday.

Six out of today's 12 games were won by the visiting team. In addition to the GW-Navy game, the other two results that I would consider surprising are Fordham winning at Georgetown (60-49) and UC Davis winning at Utah (72-62). The Aggies of UC Davis were the regular-season champion of the Big West (same conference as Long Beach State).
It would be good for the PAC (in my opinion) if Utah got a bit better. They struggle. But I have hopes for both them and my Wildcats. It may take a few years here in the desert, but . . .

GW is a shocker to me. Probably part of the issue was the coaching change, i.e. from one style to the other. Can't wait to see how they go over the next few years.

Reaction Score
Good sign that all three AAC teams advanced in the WNIT. Building the league's basketball credentials, one OOC win at a time. Disappointed in the USF loss in the final seconds, however.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Disappointed in the USF loss in the final seconds, however.
So was I, but frankly Jose did a great job this year. USF is one of the least athletic teams in the AAC, which is why they get exposed badly by the Huskies.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Washington State goes on the road again -- and beats Wyoming, 68-67. June Daugherty getting it done in the post season!

Michigan advances past Wright State, 71-66.

Iowa ends the season for South Dakota, 78-73.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Washington State goes on the road again -- and beats Wyoming, 68-67. June Daugherty getting it done in the post season!
And in overtime!
Wazzu is the team that just won't die this year. Amazing.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
This is not WNIT but I didnt want to start a new thread.
NAIA Division 1 are down to the Final 4.
Those two games will be played on Monday. The Championship Game is Tuesday on ESPN3, at 9pm EDT(7pm Mountain time in Montana)
The Semis are streamed on a pay basis.
The results and schedule are at the link below. My favorite team, and past UConn exhibition game team Vanguard, from Costa Mesa is in the Final 4. The coach is Genos friend Russ Davis who coached Lou at Cal Swish.

2017 Schedule | Results

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom