More Title IX Problems For Baylor | The Boneyard

More Title IX Problems For Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
upload_2016-10-5_14-48-48.png

Nothing will ever be the same for Baylor after the Pepper Hamilton report. The news coming from the independent investigation into how the school handles sexual assault allegations started with swift leadership changes in the football program and university front office. Five months later some of those same issues highlighted by the report are back in the spotlight thanks to the resignation of the school's first Title IX coordinator, Patty Crawford.

Crawford's resignation was made official nearly in the dark of night -- at 11:54 p.m. CT to be exact. As the Title IX coordinator for Baylor, she was responsible for helping implement the recommendations from the Pepper Hamilton report that were accepted as mandate. While some public comments after her arrival in Nov. 2014 suggested progress in Waco, she now says that increased reporting of sexual assault was something the university did not want, alleging that senior leadership is more interested in protecting "the brand" than the students.

Complete story HERE

Reaction Score
Nothing will ever be the same for Baylor after the Pepper Hamilton report.
Fingers crossed on that...

This is a little like what happened at Penn State, where the compliance officer resigned (though before the scandal) because, no matter what she tried to do with the football team, Paterno went directly to the University president and had her overridden. So she left.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Nothing will ever be the same for Baylor after the Pepper Hamilton report. The news coming from the independent investigation into how the school handles sexual assault allegations started with swift leadership changes in the football program and university front office. Five months later some of those same issues highlighted by the report are back in the spotlight thanks to the resignation of the school's first Title IX coordinator, Patty Crawford.

Complete story
HERE.

Baylor Bears? Nah. Baylor Hypocrites fits better.

Reaction Score
Nothing will ever be the same for Baylor after the Pepper Hamilton report.
Fingers crossed on that...

This is a little like what happened at Penn State, where the compliance officer resigned (though before the scandal) because, no matter what she tried to do with the football team, Paterno went directly to the University president and had her overridden. So she left.
Penn State didn't have a title 9 compliance officer IIRC - perhaps a problem in and of itself. What happened at Penn State wasn't a title 9 issue anyway. I think you're thinking of Vickey Triponi who was the VP of student affairs or something like that. She was at UConn before Penn State and one of Mark Emmert's cohorts. She was run out of Penn State not because of football, but because she was not good at her job. Read up on the crap she pulled there with trying to shut down a student run radio station and wrecking their student government association.

Reaction Score
Well, speaking of Baylor, we'll be hosting them at Gampel for our second game of the year on Nov. 17. And it has been decided by the Big 12 that we will certainly have our hands full with this bunch.

upload_2016-10-5_15-40-53.png

Yep, this will be an early test for sure.

Reaction Score
More News Regarding Baylor and Title IX
October 28, 2016

upload_2016-10-28_20-10-6.png
Baylor regents offered more information than previously revealed on assaults involving football players that led to the firing of coach Art Briles, according to a report from the Wall Street Journal on Friday.

Baylor hired Philadelphia law firm Pepper Hamilton to review the school’s response to sexual violence in the fall of 2015 after football player Sam Ukwuachu was convicted of sexual assault. Baylor had cleared the defensive end in its own investigation, which used a much lower standard of evidence than criminal courts do.

“There was a cultural issue there that was putting winning football games above everything else, including our values,” said J. Cary Gray, a lawyer and member of the Baylor board of regents told the Journal.

Since 2011, 17 women reported sexual or domestic assaults by 19 players, including four alleged gang rapes, the regents told the newspaper.
Baylor is currently facing four federal Title IX lawsuits from 13 women, many of whom did not say they were assaulted by football players and who allege that the school failed to respond appropriately to their alleged assaults.

The Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights opened a Title IX investigation at Baylor last week.

[LINK] to full story

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I has seen just the AP headline on this, but wow!

Reaction Score
Let's be clear: there was no Pepper Hamilton "report." It issued what it said was a "summary" for the university. The university was repeatedly pressed to release "the whole report."

Problem is, there is no "full report." All Pepper Hamilton wrote was that "summary."

So all of the details, all that really happened, will never be revealed, because no such detailed report exists.

And this is the university that top women basketball talents want to play for?

Time for some soul-searching in Texas?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Thank goodness that we have Mulkey. She is the shining star of the athletic program.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
View attachment 15995

Crawford's resignation was made official nearly in the dark of night -- at 11:54 p.m. CT to be exact. As the Title IX coordinator for Baylor, she was responsible for helping implement the recommendations from the Pepper Hamilton report that were accepted as mandate. While some public comments after her arrival in Nov. 2014 suggested progress in Waco, she now says that increased reporting of sexual assault was something the university did not want, alleging that senior leadership is more interested in protecting "the brand" than the students.

Complete story HERE

This was my favorite part of the story. And her attorney did not deny this, only said that as this was part of mediation that it should not be discussed publicly.

A statement from the university, shown by "CBS This Morning," alleged that Crawford not only resigned but requested both a payment of $1 million and the rights to any future books or movies.

Having said that, I have zero tolerance for sexual abuse of ANY kind, and for anyone who attempts to sweep it under the rug. Anyone involved in either needs to be run out of town.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
How does Griner feel about that? Didn't she have some not so good things to say?
I believe Griner's issue was more with the school policy and being told correctly by Mulkey that she needed to keep a very low profile in terms of her personal life (similar situation to BYU where the religious aspects of the school policy make any sexual activity a reason for expulsion.) The beef with Mulkey amounted to her not making this clear in the recruiting process, though it is clearly part of the school's published policies. Definitely a 'buyer beware' situation for all recruits at all schools - recruiters do not emphasize the warts of their school and may actively try to cover them up.

Reaction Score
I believe Griner's issue was more with the school policy and being told correctly by Mulkey that she needed to keep a very low profile in terms of her personal life (similar situation to BYU where the religious aspects of the school policy make any sexual activity a reason for expulsion.) The beef with Mulkey amounted to her not making this clear in the recruiting process, though it is clearly part of the school's published policies. Definitely a 'buyer beware' situation for all recruits at all schools - recruiters do not emphasize the warts of their school and may actively try to cover them up.
I would have more respect for Mulkey if she went to bat for her player rather than just saying sorry kid school policy's school policy. Unless of course Mulkey believes in the policy, then I guess it comes down to what kind of person do you want as a coach.

Reaction Score
My daughter went to Baylor in 2005. She wasn't from TX but from the Northeast. She knew how conservative Baylor is and its position on issues such as premarital sex, underage drinking and its prohibitions on homosexuality. I find it difficult to believe that Griner, a kid from Houston, could have been unfamiliar with the conservative nature of Baylor and its fundamental Baptist nature. Sorry, Griner should have known what she was getting into.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
My daughter went to Baylor in 2005. She wasn't from TX but from the Northeast. She knew how conservative Baylor is and its position on issues such as premarital sex, underage drinking and its prohibitions on homosexuality. I find it difficult to believe that Griner, a kid from Houston, could have been unfamiliar with the conservative nature of Baylor and its fundamental Baptist nature. Sorry, Griner should have known what she was getting into.

When you're a 16 or 17 year old recruit and likely not out of the closet to your parents, who, pray tell, was supposed to mentor teenaged Brittney to warn her of the issues at Baylor? Their "conservative religious values" sure didn't protect female students from the football team.

Reaction Score
When you're a 16 or 17 year old recruit and likely not out of the closet to your parents, who, pray tell, was supposed to mentor teenaged Brittney to warn her of the issues at Baylor? Their "conservative religious values" sure didn't protect female students from the football team.
I think these are two different issues

Reaction Score

It is not "correct" to tell a young woman to disguise her sexual orientation. It is more than a "wart" at Baylor; it is blatant hypocrisy. They were perfectly happy to tout one of the greatest centers ever to play women's basketball. As long as she doesn't tell anyone who she is.

She shouldn't have needed to keep a "very low profile" about her personal life. It's who she is. And there is nothing wrong with who she is.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is not "correct" to tell a young woman to disguise her sexual orientation. It is more than a "wart" at Baylor; it is blatant hypocrisy. They were perfectly happy to tout one of the greatest centers ever to play women's basketball. As long as she doesn't tell anyone who she is.

She shouldn't have needed to keep a "very low profile" about her personal life. It's who she is. And there is nothing wrong with who she is.
Sorry, but in this life you make choices - if you decide to enter a nunnery/monastery, don't complain that the friday night partying is terrible and that having a boyfriend/girlfriend is frowned upon.
Baylor and BYU and Liberty and others make no secret about there rules and, 'moral' codes - if you choose to attend ...

Now BYU has been accused of having spies and very different ethics depending on both religion and race, and of the recruiting telling a very different story to recruits than the situation once they arrive. I have no idea what happens at Baylor or other schools with strict morals codes, but suspect they are glossed over a bit during the process - that was certainly what BG implied in some of her comments.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but in this life you make choices - if you decide to enter a nunnery/monastery, don't complain that the friday night partying is terrible and that having a boyfriend/girlfriend is frowned upon.
Baylor and BYU and Liberty and others make no secret about there rules and, 'moral' codes - if you choose to attend ...
Totally agree on "you make choices" part. However, comparing a high school kid chosing, or not, to go to the type of school you mentioned is completely different than the premier wbb high school kid in the country being HEAVILY recruited by her state's best wbb college, as well as a national powerhouse, and being promised the keys to the kingdom... that's a whole different dynamic... imho.

Reaction Score
It is having no effect on WBB. Baylor is beating Emporia State 60-52

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Totally agree on "you make choices" part. However, comparing a high school kid chosing, or not, to go to the type of school you mentioned is completely different than the premier wbb high school kid in the country being HEAVILY recruited by her state's best wbb college, as well as a national powerhouse, and being promised the keys to the kingdom... that's a whole different dynamic... imho.
Java - I don't disagree, but I also don't think we know what went on in those conversations between Kim and BG. What an 16-17 yr old thought was important, how she envisioned her life age 18-21 are likely very different from what was important and how that life progressed. And what Kim said and more importantly what BG actually comprehended are also likely two different things and BG (and Kim's) recollection of those conversations 5 years later may be wildly different from what they were in the weeks after they occurred.
I suspect that Kim made some subtle warnings that she was 'sure' were pretty clear, and I suspect BG was willfully ignorant or just very naive as to what her college experience at Baylor would be. Kim wanted BG at Baylor, and BG wanted to play for Kim so it was easy for both to gloss over any counter arguments that might have presented themselves and follow their daydreams.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Java - I don't disagree, but I also don't think we know what went on in those conversations between Kim and BG. What an 16-17 yr old thought was important, how she envisioned her life age 18-21 are likely very different from what was important and how that life progressed. And what Kim said and more importantly what BG actually comprehended are also likely two different things and BG (and Kim's) recollection of those conversations 5 years later may be wildly different from what they were in the weeks after they occurred.
I suspect that Kim made some subtle warnings that she was 'sure' were pretty clear, and I suspect BG was willfully ignorant or just very naive as to what her college experience at Baylor would be. Kim wanted BG at Baylor, and BG wanted to play for Kim so it was easy for both to gloss over any counter arguments that might have presented themselves and follow their daydreams.
As a follow on thought and to make this more general - this is the general issue with recruiting:

I really don't believe most coaches try to deceive their recruits about their school, though all coaches certainly are in part salesmen who play up the positive aspects of the school and brush over negatives. Every once in a while stories come out about a specific coach who has gone overboard on this but they are fairly sporadic. (The one I remember is from years ago with Seton Hall where a bunch of former and some current players dished on the program.)

Serious recruiting starts at 16 and children of 16 go through huge developmental changes in the next 6 years of their life - socially, emotionally, and physically the changes during those years when humans change from children to adults and from dependent to independent are 'life changing'. And the choice of a college (or no college) is the first truly divergent decision that is largely made by that 16-17 year old on their own.

That 16-17 year olds do not actually have enough life experience to make well reasoned decisions of this magnitude is in almost all cases true. Luckily most of us muddle along with the choices we made at that age. (I at least think back and really wonder what might have happened had I made a different choice. It all turned out very well for me, but ...) That the adults surrounding/advising recruits all have their own agendas can complicate matters even more. It is not surprising that recruits make mistakes and transfers occur, or that graduates look back and question why they made the choice they made, and question whether they were mislead, forgetting that they may have discounted at 16/17 the issues that in the hindsight of age 22 now loom so large.

(That adult fans ascribe motives and personality traits to those 16/17 year olds when they make those choices with not intimate knowledge is a little obscene!)

Reaction Score
Baylor settles with two women who reported sexual assaults

WACO, Texas (AP) — Baylor University says it has reached a settlement with two women who reported being gang-raped by football players.
In a joint statement issued with the lawyers for the women, Baylor interim President David Garland apologized and the school acknowledged it did not properly handle the students' initial reports when they came forward in 2015.

[MORE]

[EVEN MORE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member