More props to Megan | The Boneyard

More props to Megan

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
She's really transformed herself, her mentality, her game. I'm sure we all expected her to step up, but she's taken a monumental leap.

From Voepel's latest article, quoting Geno:

"Meg had a really, really difficult freshman year, and she was looking for reasons why," Auriemma said. "I said, 'The reason is: You don't work hard. You work at a high school level.' Last year, she started to figure it out. But last year, it was easy to kind of blend in." ...

"It would have been easy for that kid to just quit, give up, transfer," Auriemma said of Walker. "That's the American way today. But that kid has shown a lot of toughness. She was great today."

Reaction Score
"It would have been easy for that kid to just quit, give up, transfer," Auriemma said of Walker. "That's the American way today. But that kid has shown a lot of toughness. She was great today."

...That she was.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and her interviees are so direct and informative. Very relaxed and intense at tne same time. It is great when a player reaches the level that it is all in her hands. By the way, i like the pheesa style megan has adopted to answer questions. She does the little uh-hum. Then answers.

Reaction Score
She is the next Super Star in the making. She really shows up to play. Grit. Pretty soon she will show the bruises Katy Lou use to get from mixing it up while going in for the offensive rebounds. While she is getting better she leads by example and the others are performing like they have not performed before especially the newer members of the Team and those that use to get garbage minutes.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She is the next Super Star in the making. She really shows up to play. Grit. Pretty soon she will show the bruises Katy Lou use to get from mixing it up while going in for the offensive rebounds. While she is getting better she leads by example and the others are performing like they have not performed before especially the newer members of the Team and those that use to get garbage minutes.
I think Megan is built to give the bruises. Not get them.:)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I found Geno’s comment that Megan worked “at a HS level” as a freshman very interesting. I watched Megan play 4 games in HS over her sophomore & junior years when I used to live in VA. She frequently eased into a game, not necessarily playing hard at first. But she could turn it on like flipping a switch whenever she needed to.

During her senior year, going after her 3rd straight state championship with her Monacan HS teammates, with Geno in attendance, Megan was pretty average for the 1st 3 qtrs, as her team fell behind by a sizable deficit. In the 4th qtr Megan took over the game scoring close to 20 pts as Monacan won.

After the game, Geno congratulated Megan, but he told her, “If you can do that in the 4th qtr, you should be able to do it in the 1st qtr too.” When Megan got to college, she couldn’t just turn it on and off whenever she needed and be successful. The competition was much better and she had to learn how to go hard all the time. Now she practices hard all the time. She plays hard all the time. She trains hard all the time including managing her diet to sustain a superior fitness level.

For Megan, it didn’t happen overnight. But once she finally figured out what it took to be great at this level, she was all in.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This would be a good time for all the naysayer regarding Megan to come out and own your share of crow regarding these silly arguments:

1) Geno is being too hard on Megan she's probably going to transfer.
2) Megan walker not worthy of being #1 in her class.
3) Megan Walker is only a starter by default not capable of being a #1 option.

Names have been purposely delete to protect the guilty but don't think for a second I don't have these post archived.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This would be a good time for all the naysayer regarding Megan to come out and own your share of crow regarding these silly arguments:

Names have been purposely delete to protect the guilty but don't think for a second I don't have these post archived.
C’mon Coco. Let’s leave the naysayers alone. Enjoy the fact that you and others recognized Megan’s talent from the start and were unwavering in your belief that under Geno’s guidance, she would ultimately become a great college basketball player.

Reaction Score

You probably shouldn't be holding your breath waiting for responses from these guys to pop up.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is Megan eligible for the wnba draft after this season is over?
Not only is she eligible but based on her recent AA play worst case she would be the #4 pick and possibly as high as #2.

Reaction Score
Not only is she eligible but based on her recent AA play worst case she would be the #4 pick and possibly as high as #2.
I agree that Walker is off to a great statistical start this season. However, Coco's bold 2020 WNBA draft prediction above would appear to be a bit optimistic, given Walker's overall collegiate career to date and the possibility that Sabally and Carter are potential early draft entries this coming April.

If Walker can maintain her strong play throughout the season and lead UConn to its customary Final Four or better finish in 2020, then Coco's prediction above will have more weight.

Collier was pretty darn good for four years and she went #6 in the 2019 WNBA draft. Walker's biggest question mark at the WNBA level may be what position will she be able to play given her height.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure her pro position will be the 3 with her 3 pt shooting along with her height. Right now with her play, she has a better pro upside than say Jackie Young at similar height.

Reaction Score
I found Geno’s comment that Megan worked “at a HS level” as a freshman very interesting. I watched Megan play 4 games in HS over her sophomore & junior years when I used to live in VA. She frequently eased into a game, not necessarily playing hard at first. But she could turn it on like flipping a switch whenever she needed to.

During her senior year, going after her 3rd straight state championship with her Monacan HS teammates, with Geno in attendance, Megan was pretty average for the 1st 3 qtrs, as her team fell behind by a sizable deficit. In the 4th qtr Megan took over the game scoring close to 20 pts as Monacan won.

After the game, Geno congratulated Megan, but he told her, “If you can do that in the 4th qtr, you should be able to do it in the 1st qtr too.” When Megan got to college, she couldn’t just turn it on and off whenever she needed and be successful. The competition was much better and she had to learn how to go hard all the time. Now she practices hard all the time. She plays hard all the time. She trains hard all the time including managing her diet to sustain a superior fitness level.

For Megan, it didn’t happen overnight. But once she finally figured out what it took to be great at this level, she was all in.
Geno was instrumental in her development, certainly, but give credit to Napheesa. Precious put Megan under her wing and showed her how to go full out, attack the rim, get that rebound (remember Phee was a ball magnet). Then too, if memory didn't fail, worked with Tobe to develop to a higher level.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree that Walker is off to a great statistical start this season. However, Coco's bold 2020 WNBA draft prediction above would appear to be a bit optimistic, given Walker's overall collegiate career to date and the possibility that Sabally and Carter are potential early draft entries this coming April.
If Walker can maintain her strong play throughout the season and lead UConn to its customary Final Four or better finish in 2020, then Coco's prediction above will have more weight.
Collier was pretty darn good for four years and she went #6 in the 2019 WNBA draft. Walker's biggest question mark at the WNBA level may be what position will she be able to play given her height.
I actually don't think I'm being that bold because WNBA draft position is not always based on collegiate career. Consider Jackie Young who was #1 overall WITHOUT ever being named WCBB AA. Sabrina appears to be a lock to go #1 in 2020. Let's look at team needs. The NY Liberty have the first pick. If that pick is Sabrina she would be joining a roster that already includes guards Durr, Boyd, Hartley & Nurse.

Reaction Score
I’m totally impressed by MW! She really has
blossomed in all ways. I think she knew all
along that this year would be her year. Kinda like how Lou and Pheese came along as well.
Our family REALLY looks forward to the next game. Don’t you? UCONN ROCKS! Wish
we had another couple games this month!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom