More proof that Gary Parrish is a jackass | The Boneyard

More proof that Gary Parrish is a jackass

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Yes he is a jackass but isn't it his job to report the things he finds out?

caw

Reaction Score

Maybe the kid wanted to announce his college decision himself?

He did not word that well at all, and appears to be an a$$hat.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

is it his job to call an 18 year old kid making the biggest decision of his life dishonest?

he should report what he's learned, he shouldn't treat kids like he did

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

There's nothing wrong with him reporting that Newman had decided already, but calling the kid out after the fact for "being dishonest" when he just wanted to make the news public himself is childish and purposefully trollish. He knows exactly what he's doing, though.

Reaction Score
There's nothing wrong with him reporting that Newman had decided already, but calling the kid out after the fact for "being dishonest" when he just wanted to make the news public himself is childish and purposefully trollish. He knows exactly what he's doing, though.
He's definitely trolling.

But I think it's another example of modern-day media folk being a) desperate to get the credit for breaking a story, and b) obsessed with being part of the story.

It's flat out embarrassing.

Reaction Score
looks like he hasn't really responded. did tweet this, what a

Gary Parrish @GaryParrishCBS · 16h16 hours ago
Discussing Malik Newman now — and why letting people “have their moments” is a weird strategy for reporters. Listen: http://v6.player.abacast.net/2137

no thank you i will not be listening. breaking news gary parrish nobody cares what you report

Reaction Score
Listened to the radio segment, and Parrish took this way too personal. His main arguing point was that Malik Newman and his father essentially called into question Parrish's professional livelihood by saying his article was wrong. Parrish was saying when you question his story on a professional level, that's all he has, so of course he's going to be offended. Wanted to do everything he could do to prove that he was right.

And in regards to giving Newman his moment, Parrish basically said that if anyone feels that way, then they have no idea what the job entails, as there are a whole bunch of people doing this. Said to have a good living in this profession and be of some value, you either need to be a great storyteller, or be able to provide news and insider info that other people can't provide. Said giving people their moment runs counter to what reputable reporters should do.

Parrish put Jerry Meyer on blast for calling him out, too, saying that Evan Daniels and Jeff Borzello are more relevant than he his.

Parrish just comes off as a royal .

Reaction Score
In the end, what is the benefit to Parrish for handling things this way?

If Newman commits somewhere other than MSU, then GP looks like a fool. If Newman does commit to MSU, then how does Parrish calling a CBB recruit dishonest helps him in the future?

Reaction Score
Listened to the radio segment, and Parrish took this way too personal. His main arguing point was that Malik Newman and his father essentially called into question Parrish's professional livelihood by saying his article was wrong. Parrish was saying when you question his story on a professional level, that's all he has, so of course he's going to be offended. Wanted to do everything he could do to prove that he was right.

And in regards to giving Newman his moment, Parrish basically said that if anyone feels that way, then they have no idea what the job entails, as there are a whole bunch of people doing this. Said to have a good living in this profession and be of some value, you either need to be a great storyteller, or be able to provide news and insider info that other people can't provide. Said giving people their moment runs counter to what reputable reporters should do.

Parrish put Jerry Meyer on blast for calling him out, too, saying that Evan Daniels and Jeff Borzello are more relevant than he his.

Unfortunately, this is not about Parrish being a jerk or Newman being honest -- this is about YOU and what you think your right to know something is and your insatiable need to know where a young man is going to go to college before they feel like announcing it. Newman probably was dishonest -- he probably had told people he was going to Starkville, but didn't want it publicly announced before he got to announce it so he did in fact challenge Parish's journalistic integrity or skills. Parish, well phrasing this horrrifically and creating a conflict that didn't exist, was tring to defend his reporting which very well may have been right from a young man who did, at least indirectly, attack his journalism.

BUT NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF PEOPLE LIKE MANY OF YOU DIDN'T FEEL THE NEED TO HAVE JOURNALISTS REPORTING ON RECRUITING DECISIONS BEFORE THEY ARE MADE AND DIDN'T FEEL LIKE YOU COULD BE PART OF THE PROCESS BY ACTUALLY INTERACTING WITH THESE YOUNG MEN THROUGH SOCIAL MEDIA. The lack of self-awareness of Americns today is astounding. THIS ALL HAPPENED BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW SOMETHING THAT YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO KNOW.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

He's a DB, but he's not wrong, IMO.

He should have handled it better. Instead of focusing on "Malik's dishonesty", he should have just focused on his credibility and said "my report was correct" and left it at that.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, this is not about Parrish being a jerk or Newman being honest -- this is about YOU and what you think your right to know something is and your insatiable need to know where a young man is going to go to college before they feel like announcing it. Newman probably was dishonest -- he probably had told people he was going to Starkville, but didn't want it publicly announced before he got to announce it so he did in fact challenge Parish's journalistic integrity or skills. Parish, well phrasing this horrrifically and creating a conflict that didn't exist, was tring to defend his reporting which very well may have been right from a young man who did, at least indirectly, attack his journalism.

BUT NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF PEOPLE LIKE MANY OF YOU DIDN'T FEEL THE NEED TO HAVE JOURNALISTS REPORTING ON RECRUITING DECISIONS BEFORE THEY ARE MADE AND DIDN'T FEEL LIKE YOU COULD BE PART OF THE PROCESS BY ACTUALLY INTERACTING WITH THESE YOUNG MEN THROUGH SOCIAL MEDIA. The lack of self-awareness of Americns today is astounding. THIS ALL HAPPENED BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW SOMETHING THAT YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO KNOW.

I agree with your point, but I don't know if it's fair to say people think they have a "right" to know. I don't think it's just semantics, but the "strong desire" to know is definitely what drives these stories, and the added interaction on social media is really weird IMO.

Reaction Score
I agree with your point, but I don't know if it's fair to say people think they have a "right" to know. I don't think it's just semantics, but the "strong desire" to know is definitely what drives these stories, and the added interaction on social media is really weird IMO.

I'm in a rotten mood right now because I'm stuck at work while my family is all doing fun stuff, so that was harsher than I should have gone, but I stand by the point of it. If we would step back and let student athletes announce their choices when they are ready, and not push through our consumer decisions journalists to try to makes news on recuriting beforeit exists, none of this would have happened.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm in a rotten mood right now because I'm stuck at work while my family is all doing fun stuff, so that was harsher than I should have gone, but I stand by the point of it. If we would step back and let student athletes announce their choices when they are ready, and not push through our consumer decisions journalists to try to makes news on recuriting beforeit exists, none of this would have happened.
Are you blaming the free hand of the market? I have never understood the recruiting mania either, but Rivals built a business on it.

Reaction Score
@businesslawyer not sure if you're calling me out or just talking about people who follow recruiting in general, but I just want to clarify - I don't feel like I have the right to know which school a kid wants to go to before he announces, and I don't interact with recruits through social media. Do I follow them on Twitter? Yeah, but I don't talk with them or try to sway them like a lot of people do.

I understand that the need to know where a kid is going to school drives reporters like Parrish and others to get the scoop and report it, so fans are definitely at fault. But I don't think that excuses Parrish from criticism for using his platform to call the kid and his family dishonest. That's a little bit over the top, considering the majority of people probably had no idea this happened before it was brought up after the fact.

Reaction Score
@businesslawyer not sure if you're calling me out or just talking about people who follow recruiting in general, but I just want to clarify - I don't feel like I have the right to know which school a kid wants to go to before he announces, and I don't interact with recruits through social media. Do I follow them on Twitter? Yeah, but I don't talk with them or try to sway them like a lot of people do.

I understand that the need to know where a kid is going to school drives reporters like Parrish and others to get the scoop and report it, so fans are definitely at fault. But I don't think that excuses Parrish from criticism for using his platform to call the kid and his family dishonest. That's a little bit over the top, considering the majority of people probably had no idea this happened before it was brought up after the fact.
Keep doing what you are doing tcf15!!!!!!!! As far a Gary Parrish, there is nothing he did that was right. To make it so personal crosses the line in a million different ways.

Reaction Score

Not talking about anyone specifically. And not totally removing myself from the criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom