More OTT/Unbundling | The Boneyard

More OTT/Unbundling

Reaction Score
And Disney.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/...er=https://post original url/55hpLx94jP?amp=1

Reaction Score
I think there is going to be opportunity via this platform. P5 money for the American and others? No, but should be an increase over the leftover crumbs the conference is getting after ESPN is done over paying for the likes of Rutgers and Wake Forest.

This platform could provide any avenue for individual teams to get paid closer to their value rather than a network over paying for some schools whose only real value is the schools on their schedule sue to conference affiliation.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think there is going to be opportunity via this platform. P5 money for the American and others? No, but should be an increase over the leftover crumbs the conference is getting after ESPN is done over paying for the likes of Rutgers and Wake Forest.

This platform could provide any avenue for individual teams to get paid closer to their value rather than a network over paying for some schools whose only real value is the schools on their schedule sue to conference affiliation.

Which platform? The new ESPN thing?

Reaction Score
Which platform? The new ESPN thing?
CBS is adding their own and they claim to want to dedicate a significant portion of it to streaming sports. They're gonna compete for content with the likes of espn. There are also rumblings of Netflix and Amazon getting involved.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
CBS is adding their own and they claim to want to dedicate a significant portion of it to streaming sports. They're gonna compete for content with the likes of espn. There are also rumblings of Netflix and Amazon getting involved.

Netflix has sworn up and down they have no interest. Did they say something different publically?

I'll believe CBS is getting into the bulk streaming of this kind of stuff when I see it. They ignorned their sports television network for a decade.

Reaction Score
Netflix has sworn up and down they have no interest. Did they say something different publically?

I'll believe CBS is getting into the bulk streaming of this kind of stuff when I see it. They ignorned their sports television network for a decade.
CBS Les Moonves talked about it during their earnings report. Quite adamant actually.

All I saw about Netflix was a thought that they would maybe reconsider with Disney pulling content from them. Content is key for Netflix and losing some may cause them to reconsider. Nothing anywhere close to official.

Reaction Score
Moonves didn’t fully respond to a question about what kind of sports content would be live streamed, whether its focus would be more on highlights, or whether that was all still being worked out.

However, he did point out that CBS has deals with the NFL, the NCAA (through 2032, in fact), FCC football and PGA Tour Golf. But he described the project as being in the “very preliminary stages” of formation.

“CBS is a big player in the sports world,” Moonves said. “We are going to look to differentiate ourselves from the ESPN and the Fox Sports as well, and we think we have a good opportunity to succeed.”

Meanwhile, Disney also will be launching a separate ESPN-branded streaming service early next year. It’ll be wrapped into a rebuilt version of the ESPN app, and host streams from the MLB, NHL, MLS, and various college sports networks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom