More Onside Kicks & 4th Down Attempts? | The Boneyard

More Onside Kicks & 4th Down Attempts?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This has been brought up in various threads and I thought it might be fun to discuss in a separate thread.

What do you guys think of the idea of more onside kick attempts? Yes, I realize that sounds completely like fan-speak, but I think there could be some tactical advantages of trying it.

It makes no lick of difference if opponents begin their drives from their own 25 yard line vs. our 45 yard line. For most competent FBS level offenses against our defense, that's probably a 2-4 play sequence to gain those 30 or so yards. Our defense is so young, so overmatched strength and speed wise, and so inexperienced fundamentally and tactically that defending less yards might actually be a good thing.

The biggest concern with onside kicking is obviously the odds aren't very good at recovering the football and that sets up offenses with terrific field position. I think it's > 10% chance of recovery by the kicking team, if I'm not mistaken. But with our defense - so what? If our D has to defend 45 yards vs 75 yards, we can then begin to coach our guys to keep plays in front of them, take proper tackle angles, and not worry about being torched for a 75 yard big play. For example, safeties can play 5 yards or so deeper in 2-deep coverage and know full well that anything over their head is a shot to the end zone. It lets the shorter field help us defend, in other words. Our second level D won't be extended as far for pass coverage assignment and with 2 safeties taking better angles, could help cover TEs and backs. And our front might have an extra second or so to try to get off blocks and develop a pass rush.

I know our D is still the same overmatched defense on our own 45 yard line that it is on their 25 yard line and we will give up points no matter what. We're giving up yards and points at a historic clip as it is. Can it get worse? Sure. We would run the risk of having 80+ dropped on us in a game if the opposing offense can cash in every time on the terrific field position. But...who cares if we give up 700 yards and 60 points or if we give up 400 yards and 80 points? I'm more concerned with teaching proper technique and fundamentals and it might be easier to do this if we are defending less turf. If our D starts to force more FGs than TDs, than we can always kick off conventionally. Apply the learned technique/fundamentals from 45 yards or less on a stretched 75 yards or less field at that point.

I think we all agree that while our offense is no Chip Kelly Oregon offense, it is MUCH further along than our defense. We have a FBS level QB that can make plays. Very easily our best player. Give him the opportunity to make more plays. Hopefully, we can cash in those plays into points at some point. Our best defense this year might just be our offense for no other reason than letting that clock tick and tick and tick. Play some time of possession and hope that we can get some points. Melt as much clock as possible and defend less turf if we are unable to cash in points.

I also know full well that Randy and traditional coaches would probably absolutely hate this idea and I understand it. Our defense will only get better through more practice time and more game reps (and a few years of S&C). I just wonder if the coaching staff has considered the idea more from a technique angle. Keep plays in front of you. Play the dreaded bend-but-don't-break defense only that the amount of bending won't be quite as drastic on a smaller field.

I wonder what the analytics say in how play callers call plays on a shorter field. I think they would call a few shots to the end zone - fly routes, playaction shots, etc - but I also think that beginning drives on our 45 could create an element of conservative play calling for some. They would feel fairly confident in knowing they have a FG in their back pocket so the play calling could reflect that. Another reason why and how our defense can play more read and react to keep plays in front of them. We can clog up a shorter field much easier than a longer one if playcalling turns more conservative. Force OCs to dial up aggressive shots to the end zone and hope the shorter success rate odds help us out with over/under thrown balls, an extra second for our pass rush, blown routes by opposing WRs, etc.

Food for thought, anyway. Being asked this at a press conference would likely result in another storm away ending as he'll defend his DC to the end. But what the heck do we have to lose in trying it? Analytic approaches helped the Tampa Rays and Oakland A's (and others) compete with non-traditional approaches. Maybe it could (COULD!) help our overmatched defense. Plus, we might actually recover 1 or 2 and play some offense.

Reaction Score
If the one and only priority is to win games right now than we have nothing to lose, that being said:

1. Randy has made it very clear the priority this year is development. Regularly putting a bad young defense that already must have no confidence in tougher spots can not help their development or confidence. And whatever the analytics would say about offensive playcalling on a short field, I think its pretty obvious that overall, beginning with better field position leads to more points.

2. Way things are going we'd have to recover onside kicks at an insane success rate to make a difference in winning games.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The offense should be going for it on 4th down pretty much every single time they are passed their own 40 unless the yardage is unrealistic.

Truthfully, almost all teams should be doing this as well...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No more gimmicks. What does that get, one more win, two more covers, being the second worst defense in the country? Find out who has a chance to make something out of themselves next season. Play how you want them to play and let them take their licks.

Reaction Score
Go for it on 4th down and on sides kick every single time I don’t care your u don’t play D you don’t have a right to complain about field position. You tell the D fix your D or well punishment you.

Reaction Score
My thought is play as if you are going to win. Sounds desperate. When you actually do start getting better, you'll be prepared.

Reaction Score
It would certainly send a message to the players on the defense.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The Opener was thought of as a gimmick in baseball...until the Rays and A's started winning with it. Obviously, it didn't yield the best results in the Wildcard Game against the Yankees. But the Brewers did win a playoff game using an Opener. Sometimes non-conventional works. And when you have as bad as a defense as we do, maybe it will rattle the right cages and expedite the learning curve.

Dooley

Reaction Score
No more gimmicks. What does that get, one more win, two more covers, being the second worst defense in the country? Find out who has a chance to make something out of themselves next season. Play how you want them to play and let them take their licks.

I get that and agree with it to a certain extent. I'm just worried that this defense has taken too many licks. Enough licks that if our defense was a Tootsie Roll Toostie Pop, it would be the decomposed remains of the popstick stuck in the mud.

Reaction Score
According to this coach and the odds, teams should never punt.

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall is our coach. He still punts from the plus side of the field. Only to give up all the yards back in one or 2 plays. Never happening.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall is our coach. He still punts from the plus side of the field. Only to give up all the yards back in one or 2 plays. Never happening.

You're absolutely right. Playing the field position game with our defense is a pointless exercise. Only takes a few plays for opposing offenses to get that yardage back.

Reaction Score
4th Down attempsts?? For a sec I thought you were talking about my Dallas Cowboys with a gutless puppet for a head coach.. I really liked Garrett, but it's time we move .. Too bad we can't have owners who will let our Head Coach coach the entire football team...

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score

And way worse blowout losses. I'm thinking 70+ points scored on average by the other team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom