More on SC (Gamecocks) | The Boneyard

More on SC (Gamecocks)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
After announcing they would reopen the campus to students in the fall, SC announced today that they will end on campus classes on Thanksgiving. There will be no Fall break and all classes will move on-line after Thanksgiving.

This decision has been made with consideration for the fall flu season along with the possibility of a second wave of the coronavirus. No decision has been made relative to Fall or Winter sports.

Reaction Score
So does the basketball season end at Thanksgiving break? Notre Dame is apparently doing the same thing.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So does the basketball season end at Thanksgiving break? Notre Dame is apparently doing the same thing.
Again, no decisions have been made relative to sports.

Reaction Score

Wow............not a very basketball friendly schedule but we all know why being on campus in the early fall is so important for those two schools...................not such a big deal at UConn

Reaction Score

from what I have heard from the college big wigs I've seen in the media who've been asked that question most said if there are no students on campus that means no sports on campus..............

Reaction Score
But the NCAA said if it's not safe enough for kids to be on campus, it's not safe enough to play sports. As much as I hate to admit it, that seems pretty reasonable and decisive with little room for interpretation. Is that an official position on the matter? Not yet, but if the president says it, he may be signaling the organization's line of thinking and direction they're heading.

Reaction Score
from what I have heard from the college big wigs I've seen in the media who've been asked that question most said if there are no students on campus that means no sports on campus..............
ND's actually doing something a little different. They are starting fall semester two weeks early on August 10th. I think ND is doing this to avoid the December game with UConn.

Reaction Score
ND's actually doing something a little different. They are starting fall semester two weeks early on August 10th. I think ND is doing this to avoid the December game with UConn.

are they going on line after Thanksgiving? I don't think they mention that in their press release........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Frankly, I don’t know how you have sports on campus even if you have students. It only takes one positive case to shut down a team for a minimum of 2 weeks. It only took 2 reported cases to shut down the entire NBA.

Reaction Score
I think most colleges end the fall semester in early December anyway. Could assign final exams to be online (also remember many if not all colleges take an exam break from sports before finals. So it could be said the schools were open for the first semester (note sports teams remain on campus normally after the holiday break and that could continue and the holiday break just being longer). So winter sports could remain on campus until the start of the Spring Semester in mid to late January before decisions about how to handle that semester would have to be made and/or handled. Certainly takes football season out of the problem but leaves basketball season in a 2 month bind that could be determined at a much later date.

Reaction Score
Frankly, I don’t know how you have sports on campus even if you have students. It only takes one positive case to shut down a team for a minimum of 2 weeks. It only took 2 reported cases to shut down the entire NBA.

my daughter's future school closed in March when one student tested positive but these schools are preparing to test, trace and isolate positive cases and those they come into contact with...............of course there must be limitations on how many students they can house in isolation.....

Reaction Score
Or as i mentioned make sure December games occur during the semester break where students are not on campus anyway - just sports teams (and a few foreign students unable to go home).

Just isolate the team at Thanksgiving break and exam period, clearing everyone after that to be a cleared group after.

Reaction Score
Or as i mentioned make sure December games occur during the semester break where students are not on campus anyway - just sports teams (and a few foreign students unable to go home).
You'll have to tell the NCAA that. Ultimately it's their decision, and if they think you can't play sports if it's not safe enough for people to be on campus, then so be it.

are they going on line after Thanksgiving? I don't think they mention that in their press release........
Not sure if they will be online after Thanksgiving, but I like the way ND is doing it. Move everything up and get rid of any breaks to effectively have a normal semester that starts and ends a little early. These schools are going to do everything they can to protect their football seasons. Maybe take a couple conference games and move them to the beginning of the schedule, then have conference championships coincide with the end of the semester, then bowl games go on as planned since those are held off campus anyway.

Reaction Score
It looks college football will be played but it's not for certain that college basketball will be played.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
my daughter's future school closed in March when one student tested positive but these schools are preparing to test, trace and isolate positive cases and those they come into contact with...............of course there must be limitations on how many students they can house in isolation.....
It’s one thing to contact trace and isolate the general student body. But if you have one football player on an 80+ player team test positive, then you need to isolate the entire team, coaching & training staffs.

Reaction Score
It looks college football will be played but it's not for certain that college basketball will be played.
It's all about the benjamins. The schools aren't going to go out of their way to save unprofitable sports.

Reaction Score
IMO there ain't gonna be no football and there ain't gonna be no basketball. Think a lot of people know this, or strongly suspect it. But they have an interest in keeping us interested (like the sports media, for instance - not to mention athletic departments themselves who are engaged in a fantastically delusional wishful thinking exercise).

We should be discussing things like what the NCAA should decide on whether recruiting LOI's will still be valid and binding for next year if we skip a year. And how schools will deal with possible increased scholarship limits since seniors who don't play will still have another year of eligibility - but how do the cash-strapped athletic departments pay for it? And how UConn's athletic department is going to be able to afford Paige's scholarship (et al, X 1000) if she wants to matriculate online for her freshman year without playing basketball. And will Paige and Azzi actually get to play with (or against) one another for FOUR years instead of three?

Reaction Score
Perhaps not a coincidence that the football season finishes the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

as far as I can tell there is no science at all behind the idea that Thanksgiving is a relevant date to pathogens.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Perhaps not a coincidence that the football season finishes the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

as far as I can tell there is no science at all behind the idea that Thanksgiving is a relevant date to pathogens.
Well, if you cook your turkey with the stuffing inside, and you don’t cook it to an internal temperature of 165 degrees, you can get food poisoning.....;)

Reaction Score
I can almost believe that quarantining a basketball program is possible but a football team just involves too many people to have much hope of working. Without instant test results using screening to identify infected people some will slip through the cracks.

Reaction Score
It’s one thing to contact trace and isolate the general student body. But if you have one football player on an 80+ player team test positive, then you need to isolate the entire team, coaching & training staffs.

and if there are games then that infected team should forfeit. That would make P5 more concerned with ramrodding a season

Reaction Score
Football, basketball, and perhaps hockey are the revenue sports for most colleges. Yes some others also generate some income but in most cases not near those. Basketball and hockey would be relatively easy to isolate from the general populace. Football is not due to the large team size. Most expensive sport to play and biggest money generator. It won't suffer. Other sports might. A way will be found to have the winter season for as many teams as possible. Why? Many people have already started to revolt to the changed environment. If it drags into the winter and more and more society staples get taken away, the economy and jobs tank the result could be chaos. I certainly hope not. More likely to play in empty stadiums or courts with TV bringing in the lost revenue. Benjamins.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Football, basketball, and perhaps hockey are the revenue sports for most colleges. Yes some others also generate some income but in most cases not near those. Basketball and hockey would be relatively easy to isolate from the general populace. Football is not due to the large team size. Most expensive sport to play and biggest money generator. It won't suffer. Other sports might. A way will be found to have the winter season for as many teams as possible. Why? Many people have already started to revolt to the changed environment. If it drags into the winter ans more and more society staples get taken away, the economy and jobs tank the result could be chaos. I certainly hope not. More likely to play in empty stadiums or courts with TV bringing in the lost revenue. Benjamins.
I keep hearing this idea of playing sports in empty stadiums. What about the athletes and coaches? They will be housed together in locker rooms, planes, buses, etc. Right now MLB owners are trying to negotiate an 80 game season but they are getting pushback from some players over the risk they will be taking, at significantly reduced compensation levels. For college athletes, there will be the same risk, with no compensation. In addition, if I was a parent of a college athlete, I might not be onboard with my child taking such risks. There remain a whole bunch of questions before sports start up again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom