OT: - More NIL Buffoonery [merged thread] | The Boneyard

OT: More NIL Buffoonery [merged thread]

Reaction Score
This is going to get messy based on what I'm seeing on Twitter. Jimbo Fisher has already responded with nasty shots back at him. A lot of finger pointing going around. Also curious how Deion Sanders responds to Saban's allegations that Jackson State paid a player a million to get them to commit to their program.

Saban's been successful in the college ranks, but I'll always remember how he handled himself when he coached the Miami Dolphins. Wasn't great, and it sure as heck wasn't a professional exit. I'm not a Dolphins fan, but that left a negative impression on me and it hasn't changed.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is just the tip of the ice berg. This is going to get a whole lot messier before it gets better. When the NCAA refused to adopt some sort of NIL protocols, it basically let the schools run amuck unchecked to do what ever thay wanted. Of course many schools saw this as "open season" to attract recruits with lucrative NIL deals. I have no doubt that Saban is correct in his assertions. When the cat is away, the mice will play. ;)

Reaction Score
I'm feeling this tweet from Mina Kimes regarding the situation. Who needs reality shows anymore?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
This is going to get messy based on what I'm seeing on Twitter. Jimbo Fisher has already responded with nasty shots back at him. A lot of finger pointing going around. Also curious how Deion Sanders responds to Saban's allegations that Jackson State paid a player a million to get them to commit to their program.

Saban's been successful in the college ranks, but I'll always remember how he handled himself when he coached the Miami Dolphins. Wasn't great, and it sure as heck wasn't a professional exit. I'm not a Dolphins fan, but that left a negative impression on me and it hasn't changed.
I'm not a Saban fan either. I can't put my finger on it, he just seems cold and remote in some ways. I'm sure the folks that are in with him love him, but . . .

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Saban is most assuredly a cranky old man. But his complaint is not completely unfounded. Around the country, well-healed alums are attempting to figure out the best way to “legally” entice top recruits within the patchwork of state NIL rules.

Spreading out lucrative NIL deals among an 80+ player football roster requires pooling resources among several alums, which appears to be what’s happening at TX A&M. But when it comes to basketball, a single alum like Sam Gilbert might just be able to secure a championship. While WBB has never attracted the money or interest of MBB, I could easily see 1 or 2 motivated alums with deep pockets spreading NIL money around to influence recruiting.

As for the Crimson Tide, Saban need not worry. I can absolutely guarantee that Alabama alums will not be outspent on NIL deals when it comes to football recruiting. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Saban is most assuredly a cranky old man. But his complaint is not completely unfounded. Around the country, well-healed alums are attempting to figure out the best way to “legally” entice top recruits within the patchwork of state NIL rules.

Spreading out lucrative NIL deals among an 80+ player football roster requires pooling resources among several alums, which appears to be what’s happening at TX A&M. But when it comes to basketball, a single alum like Sam Gilbert might just be able to secure a championship. While WBB has never attracted the money or interest of MBB, I could easily see 1 or 2 motivated alums with deep pockets spreading NIL money around to influence recruiting.

As for the Crimson Tide, Saban need not worry. I can absolutely guarantee that Alabama alums will not be outspent on NIL deals when it comes to football recruiting. :rolleyes:
Oh it's definitely not unfounded, but like you noted, the Tide don't have to worry.

All I want to see now is him and Deion in a new AFLAC commercial after what he said about Jackson State. :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the other elements of these NIL collectives at A&M and elsewhere is that they are completely contrary to the original NIL justification which was based on the fact that top college athletes had every right to profit off their NIL in a free-market economy. So if Stock-X, Gatorade, Facebook, etc. believe that Paige can help them grow their business, then they should pay her for her economic value to their respective companies.

These collectives have no such economic incentive to pay these kids. Nobody is paying some obscure offensive lineman at A&M $50,000 a year to promote Wheaties. They are getting paid to come to A&M and win football games. Essentially, they are earning a salary to play football, although it’s not being paid directly by the university.

Reaction Score
It going to be interesting to see the performances of the kids who - as freshmen - become multi millionaires as they get to their junior/senior years.

Reaction Score
Many years ago I taught a bit at a big time football school in southern California. I was really young and had a number of athletes in my classes, a few of whom I was friendly with enough to hear some of the player/alumni interactions where the star players (and their families) received everything you hear about (cars, girls, money) to more mundane things like free orthodontic treatment for the family.

For the "about to be drafted" star players it was great, for the rank & file, not so much. And the VAST majority were rank & file outside the largesse of the system.

The have-nots were sometimes resentful toward the haves, even going public on some of the especially tawdry instances because they felt stilted.

My point is that NIL is going to be a windfall for precious few athletes and one - deservedly so - is our Paige. But my worry is even with Paige's apparent unselfish and inclusive personality that - over time - the "have to save for pizza night out" players will build resentment to the massive spotlight and riches going to Paige - and others elsewhere.

I LOVE Paige and think her personality as good as you could ask in a high profile player, but money does funny things to people/teams and I REALLY hope a year or two out this doesn't cause discord at UConn and others.

NIL is a slippery slope in my view.

Reaction Score
Many years ago, SMU had their football program suspended for giving the players new autos. Times have changed!

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Oh it's definitely not unfounded, but like you noted, the Tide don't have to worry.

All I want to see now is him and Deion in a new AFLAC commercial after what he said about Jackson State. :rolleyes:
This is exactly what I expected when the NIL rule was announced. I have very little doubt that Saban, who is no angel himself, is absolutely on target with his statement. Fisher and Sanders, who had to drag race into his response, would be better off imo to simply admit they did everything they could, within the rules to present financial deals for their players, end of conversation! The reality is that this is the future. Teams with limitless supplies of $ will now have an even stronger lock on the championship trophy. Of course, they’ve always had the advantage anyway, this just increases it.

Reaction Score
It is interesting, and I hope the rest of the Yard noticed, that Coach Saban made these these comments at a fundraising event. He wants his people to know that if they want more titles, they're going to have to spend more money and he couldn't come right out and say it.

Reaction Score
It is interesting, and I hope the rest of the Yard noticed, that Coach Saban made these these comments at a fundraising event. He wants his people to know that if they want more titles, they're going to have to spend more money and he couldn't come right out and say it.
Sanders is on record for saying that was what Saban's was doing last night. When you think about it, interesting strategy, but again it's Alabama. I'm sure their boosters were already on alert and will support the program.

This is exactly what I expected when the NIL rule was announced. I have very little doubt that Saban, who is no angel himself, is absolutely on target with his statement. Fisher and Sanders, who had to drag race into his response, would be better off imo to simply admit they did everything they could, within the rules to present financial deals for their players, end of conversation! The reality is that this is the future. Teams with limitless supplies of $ will now have an even stronger lock on the championship trophy. Of course, they’ve always had the advantage anyway, this just increases it.
I get your point here, but did Saban have to name anyone specifically? I think he could have made his points without naming anyone.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
If there was ever a fireable offense for those in the NCAA, this is it. For many years, one of the core objectives of college sports was not to let boosters "buy" players. While it was often bad in the '60's and 70's, NIL takes things to a new level. Maybe the Saban, Fisher comedy show will have a positive benefit by adding focus to what a debacle NIL really is.

Reaction Score
NCAA's decision allowing the"NIL" will prove to have been a BIG MISTAKE for College Athletics.

Reaction Score
NCAA's decision allowing the"NIL" will prove to have been a BIG MISTAKE for College Athletics.
You assume that the organization had a choice, it didn't. They could have been out in front of this decades ago, but clung to the prehistoric view of "amateurism" in major college athletics.

Reaction Score
This stuff is going to ruin major Division 1 college athletics for me. It's becoming just another professional league. We have enough of those.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
You assume that the organization had a choice, it didn't. They could have been out in front of this decades ago, but clung to the prehistoric view of "amateurism" in major college athletics.
I'm mildly taken aback (very mildly) that they didn't see the writing on the wall several years ago as the cases began churning their ways through the courts and then state legislatures began debating it. The NCAA acts as though it was totally blindsided by NIL and had absolutely no time to get a policy in place.

I hope (note that I'm not using a word like "presume" or "suspect") that the NCAA is working on some rules to implement soon. Either that or they think that public perception is blaming the courts and legislatures for the mess, which I think is not the case. Or they're corrupt or incompetent or just don't care.

Reaction Score
I'm mildly taken aback (very mildly) that they didn't see the writing on the wall several years ago as the cases began churning their ways through the courts and then state legislatures began debating it. The NCAA acts as though it was totally blindsided by NIL and had absolutely no time to get a policy in place.

I hope (note that I'm not using a word like "presume" or "suspect") that the NCAA is working on some rules to implement soon. Either that or they think that public perception is blaming the courts and legislatures for the mess, which I think is not the case. Or they're corrupt or incompetent or just don't care.
Your last sentence sums it up for me. The impression I've gotten over the years is that the NCAA has been sitting on their hands hoping this would go away. Sure they "act" like they were blindsided but athletes have been pushing for compensation. The writing was on the wall when Ed O'Bannon of UCLA won his case in 2014.

Found this article with a timeline for an Atlanta newspaper. Even with this timeline, I find it hard to believe the NCAA couldn't figure something out.

What's even more frustrating is to learn Emmert earned some serious bonuses last year after taking a pay cut due to COVID. He's walking out the door profiting while leaving his successor with this fiasco.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom