More National Recognition of greatness. SI! | The Boneyard

More National Recognition of greatness. SI!

Reaction Score
A little write up by Sweeney over SI

UConn is the No. 1 team in the country​

I wrote after PK85 that UConn was a legitimate national title contender.

I’m not sure that piece went far enough. Right now, UConn should be considered the best in the country.

The Huskies are the nation’s only 10–0 team. They’ve won every game they’ve played by double digits. Their last five games have been against high-major opponents (three on neutral courts, one at home and one on the road), and they’ve won those games by an average margin of nearly 18 points. UConn has yet to trail in a second half all season and hasn’t even been within single digits of an opponent in the final five minutes of a game this season.

Has it beaten an elite team? Perhaps not. But this group checks every box. The Huskies shoot it at a high level, have two dominant interior presences in Adama Sanogo and Donovan Clingan, share the ball and have elite depth. They combine the usual physicality and toughness of a Dan Hurley team with the type of high-powered offense necessary to compete for championships. We know teams can peak too early (last year’s Auburn team is a good example), but if the NCAA tournament were played today, I’d pick UConn to win it all.

Reaction Score
We have a very good team that checks many of the boxes BUT we have all been around the block more than once here. There are a lot of things that can go against teams. They gotta stay healthy. In the Tourney I truly believe that you need a bit of luck at some points in that process to keep the momentum going your way. Let’s not pick us to “win it all“ right now but just pick us to be in position to make that run by getting the proper or good enough seed, not a given yet because this team still needs to improve. Then we have the coaching staff and talent to try to execute that.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We have a very good team that checks many of the boxes BUT we have all been around the block more than once here. There are a lot of things that can go against teams. They gotta stay healthy. In the Tourney I truly believe that you need a bit of luck at some points in that process to keep the momentum going your way. Let’s not pick us to “win it all“ right now but just pick us to be in position to make that run by getting the proper or good enough seed, not a given yet because this team still needs to improve. Then we have the coaching staff and talent to try to execute that.

As I get older, I make sure to remind myself when one of my sports teams is great to not focus too much on the championship too early. I used to live and die on every game and take each loss so hard because of the seeding implications and how it would affect our shot of winning the whole thing. However, when I think back to years like 2009 and 2006 and 2002, I remember the whole of those seasons fondly, and wish I enjoyed them more in the moment when they were happening. I'm gonna make sure to enjoy this season as much as possible while it's going on.

Reaction Score
It’s called March Madness for a reason. One off night and a hot mid major shooting lights out can end your season quick.
But we’re really really deep and have a lot of answers.
I wanna see Hurley in a tight strategic game and see how he handles under pressure. But if we stay healthy, that’s the only question i have.
One for the thumb!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1670688485864.png

B847C7E4-3982-4BC3-8458-0F1E62EF4409.jpeg

:D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member