More injury news for Tennessee | The Boneyard

More injury news for Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
They really do have rotten luck.

Massingale is out 2-3 weeks with 2 dislocated fingers. Happened in practice today.

They play Depaul next and then go on the road for 3 games, Rutgers, UCLA and then Stanford. Could be a tough stretch with their starting point out.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Yikes. Who starts at point for them?

I'm not convinced DePaul is very good, but they could easily drop at least one of those four games. And with Kentucky coming on, Tennessee may find themselves as a two seed if they're not careful.

Reaction Score
I'm not very confident about beating TN at Maples on Dec. 20th, with or without Massingale.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
UCONN has faith that the Cardinal will beat Tennessee!!!

:)

Reaction Score
well, thanks for your faith, we may need it. It will be a tough game like all of our games with TN. I'm worried about our backcourt, even at home. Some folks don't realize how much we lost in Pohlen and Pedersen. Sure, we have O sisters and some talented frosh, but we lost one of them (Green) for the year and of course, they are frosh.

stats for Pohlen and Pedersen last year

Pohlen- 6’0 guard who played the 1, 2 and 3 and played every game in her Stanford career.

33.6 min per game
176-404 .436 FG
96-230 .417 3 pt (96 threes!!)
75-84 .893 FT
3.2 RPG
4.8 APG
14.5 ppg

Pedersen, 6’4” forward who started EVERY game of her Stanford career, minus Depaul game last yr (which we lost). She came in as 4 and played the 2 and 3.

33.3 min per game
152-326 .466
28-107 .262 3pt
108-138 .783 FT
8.0 rpg
3.7 APG
12.6 ppg

Combined, we lost 27 ppg, 11 rpg, 8.8 apg, and 3.7 threes per game. Most importantly, we lost leadership and expertise how to run the triangle, which helped having their size and court vision to run it.

Last yr’s stats for our new backcourt this yr:

SOPH Kokenis

17 min per game
66-140 .471 FG
17-41 .415 3pt
27-33 .818 FT
1.6 RPG
44 total assists AND 43 total TOs in 33 games played
5.3 ppg

SR La Rocque

18.8 min per game
40-98 .408 FG
34-88 .386 3pt
20-27 .741 FT
1.8 rpg
1.8 Apg
3.9 ppg

Se we added 9.2 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 3 apg, and 1.5 three per game.

This is not to say James, Orrange, Camp and Greenfield won’t step up, but it’s WAY early in the season.

Reaction Score

I'm not convinced DePaul is very good, but they could easily drop at least one of those four games. And with Kentucky coming on, Tennessee may find themselves as a two seed if they're not careful.
What is K. Williams' status. Didn't I see that she got minutes the other day? If healthy she's a very viable option.

Reaction Score
I have the same concern as you cardfan. I think on any given night Tenn can beat anyone this year. I think you beat them by exposing there point guard play and pounding the ball inside to the O sisters. Keeping them off the offensive glass looks to be a very big challenge.

Losing P and P is huge.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I would think it'll be Simmons at the point backed up by either Stricklen or Bass. I imagine the coaches would prefer to keep Stricklen on the wing but Bass is just not reliable against better competition.

DePaul still plays the same type of game -- up-tempo with lots of possessions and lots of 3s -- but with less talent than in other years. Keisha Hampton is still there though, and she is a very good player. Anna Martin is the team's best shooter from beyond the arc. Ironically, DePaul also has an injured freshman point guard, Chenise Jenkins, whose high school (Whitney Young) played against Massengale's (Bolinbrook) for 4 straight years in the Illinois state championships. I'm sure Jenkins and Massengale were looking forward to the matchup in NY.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Thankfully it didn't happen in March. I love her game. She has made a difference at pg. Simmons will probably move to pg. I don't think they want to move Stricklen over the way she is playing. Yes Cardfan I think the Stanford game will be a good game. It always is when these teams play.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
I'm most worried about Rutgers. Like Miami, they will get up in our grills and pressure the ball. Massengale gave us that calming factor and the ability to single-handily break the press that we haven't had since Bobbitt. Taking care of the ball and getting it to our girls in a position to score will be of utmost importance.

But I'm remaining optimistic...this will be a great opportunity for Simmons and Bass to prove their worth. Likewise, Mannning, Burdick, and Izzy's production off the bench will become even more vital.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm most worried about Rutgers. Like Miami, they will get up in our grills and pressure the ball. Massengale gave us that calming factor and the ability to single-handily break the press that we haven't had since Bobbitt. Taking care of the ball and getting it to our girls in a position to score will be of utmost importance.

But I'm remaining optimistic...this will be a great opportunity for Simmons and Bass to prove their worth. Likewise, Mannning, Burdick, and Izzy's production off the bench will become even more vital.
Not to start something (yeah right...lol), but there is NO way in hell that Bass contributes in meaningful games with meaningful minutes. I think Pat would play Simmons 40 minutes at the point before playing Bass when it counts.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I would expect Simmons at the Point, too. It seems like the most natural move.

Reaction Score
Not to start something (yeah right...lol), but there is NO way in hell that Bass contributes in meaningful games with meaningful minutes. I think Pat would play Simmons 40 minutes at the point before playing Bass when it counts.

No doubt. Bass is terrible.

One option would be to increase their pressing, but they dont really have the bench for it. Nonetheless, they may try spurts of pressure to get some transition baskets. Of course the press works better if you've got players who can make good quick passes.

Reaction Score
They really do have rotten luck.

Massingale is out 2-3 weeks with 2 dislocated fingers. Happened in practice today.

They play Depaul next and then go on the road for 3 games, Rutgers, UCLA and then Stanford. Could be a tough stretch with their starting point out.
Ask Geno, you can never have enough guards and play makers.....Back to the drawing board........move Stricklen back to the PG.....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
No doubt. Bass is terrible.

One option would be to increase their pressing, but they dont really have the bench for it. Nonetheless, they may try spurts of pressure to get some transition baskets. Of course the press works better if you've got players who can make good quick passes.

Tennessee is not a good pressing team with or without Massengale in the lineup. Good teams have been able to score on Tenn's full court pressure without too much difficulty.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
well, thanks for your faith, we may need it. It will be a tough game like all of our games with TN. I'm worried about our backcourt, even at home. Some folks don't realize how much we lost in Pohlen and Pedersen. Sure, we have O sisters and some talented frosh, but we lost one of them (Green) for the year and of course, they are frosh.

No question, losing those two is big. But Kokenis will be the best guard on the floor when you play the LV's, and I like the O sisters, especially if Nneka can avoid foul trouble, better than the Johnson/Baugh combo. It's on your home court and that is a huge plus for Stanford. The teams actually match up well with the strength up front, but you have much better depth with Tinkle and Booth, who have far more experience than the LV backups.

If Stanford plays their A game, a win should not be too difficult.

pasteurize

RU Rah Rah!
Reaction Score
For the Rutgers game, I say they move Baugh over to the point and start Bass at center.

oh, and play us man-to-man the entire time, too. :D

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score

We'll see. Bass is not as bad as y'all think she is. Last time we played at Rutgers, she was a starter and played 21 minutes in a game that we came back from a 33-13 deficit at halftime.

She's been delegated to the bench for the last 2.5 years for a couple of reasons. First was Pat's decision to switch to a zone defense...this negated Bass's defensive ability, because she was so small. She doesn't have the speed of Bobbitt or Tameka Johnson who could make up for their size with an incredible ability to hawk other ballhandlers. Stricklen was a foot taller and made our zone huge. On the offensive side of the ball, it allowed us to play our best five players.

When Simmons and Avant arrived last year, we spent most of the time trying to get them accustomed to playing the position..and the same with Massengale this year. Along with Kamiko, it's always been more beneficial to the team to try and develop the other guards with more potential.

Obviously she's not going to be a star for us either as she is limited physically, but she's not "terrible" by any means. She is another true point guard who wants to get her teammates involved. She knows the sets after 3 years of practice, but hopefully now we'll see if she can translate her game when it matters.

Now all of this to say, I think she will still be played in backup capacity but I do think she will contribute meaningful minutes in meaningful games.

Simmons will start, but the only other player who should keep Bass off the floor would be if they decide to play Stricklen at the point again. I hope that's not the case, but it has had its good moments before too.

Like I said though, I'm more worried about Rutgers than I am Stanford. Both are great teams, but I think we match up better with Stanford. I love Glory and Baugh vs the O sisters. They match up pretty well even if you do want to give Stanford the advantage. However, on the perimeter we have a huge advantage even without Massengale, especially at the 2/3 with Stricklen and Spani over Payne and La Rocque. I like Kokenis's game but if Simmons can get her shot to fall, we'll match up well there too. If we can keep Baugh and Johnson on the floor and take advantage of our mismatches on the perimeter, we should win.

Without Massengale at Rutgers, we are going to have to use our size advantage. To do that though, our guards are going to have to get the ball past half court and get it to the bigs in the paint. I'm sure it will be harder than it sounds. Baugh and Johnson have a mismatch over every RU post though, and if we can force them to double-down on them it will open up our shooters. So...if we can take care of the ball, have Johnson and Baugh establish a post presence, and hit our open shots. We should win in Piscataway. Obviously, as always, we will have to rebound and defend.

Of course those are pretty generic game-plans, and we would probably win all of our games if we could do those things. We'll see what happens though. This stretch will tell a lot about our team.

Reaction Score

I haven't seen Rutgers but have watched Tn twice and Stanford against UConn. I think Tn is a much stronger team than Stanford. The loss of Pohlen and Peterson for Stanford was major. The O sisters can't carry this team against a very strong, balanced Tn team. Tn's only problem is if Simmons plays undisciplined at the point as she did last year. The other four Stricken, Spani, Baugh and Johnson are among the best in WCBB. With Massengale Tn is a final four team.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Cardfan, far be it for me to make you (or any well-intentioned visitor) feel unwelcome here on the Boneyard, BUT. . .

Neither I nor any other 'Yarder needs repetitive reminders of Jeanette Pohlen's ability to play basketball, especially (AAARRGH!) her deadly accuracy when shooting treys.

She didn't graduate soon enough for my taste.

Reaction Score
We'll see. Bass is not as bad as y'all think she is. Last time we played at Rutgers, she was a starter and played 21 minutes in a game that we came back from a 33-13 deficit at halftime.

She's been delegated to the bench for the last 2.5 years for a couple of reasons. First was Pat's decision to switch to a zone defense...this negated Bass's defensive ability, because she was so small. She doesn't have the speed of Bobbitt or Tameka Johnson who could make up for their size with an incredible ability to hawk other ballhandlers. Stricklen was a foot taller and made our zone huge. On the offensive side of the ball, it allowed us to play our best five players.

When Simmons and Avant arrived last year, we spent most of the time trying to get them accustomed to playing the position..and the same with Massengale this year. Along with Kamiko, it's always been more beneficial to the team to try and develop the other guards with more potential.

Obviously she's not going to be a star for us either as she is limited physically, but she's not "terrible" by any means. She is another true point guard who wants to get her teammates involved. She knows the sets after 3 years of practice, but hopefully now we'll see if she can translate her game when it matters.

Now all of this to say, I think she will still be played in backup capacity but I do think she will contribute meaningful minutes in meaningful games.

Simmons will start, but the only other player who should keep Bass off the floor would be if they decide to play Stricklen at the point again. I hope that's not the case, but it has had its good moments before too.

Like I said though, I'm more worried about Rutgers than I am Stanford. Both are great teams, but I think we match up better with Stanford. I love Glory and Baugh vs the O sisters. They match up pretty well even if you do want to give Stanford the advantage. However, on the perimeter we have a huge advantage even without Massengale, especially at the 2/3 with Stricklen and Spani over Payne and La Rocque. I like Kokenis's game but if Simmons can get her shot to fall, we'll match up well there too. If we can keep Baugh and Johnson on the floor and take advantage of our mismatches on the perimeter, we should win.

Without Massengale at Rutgers, we are going to have to use our size advantage. To do that though, our guards are going to have to get the ball past half court and get it to the bigs in the paint. I'm sure it will be harder than it sounds. Baugh and Johnson have a mismatch over every RU post though, and if we can force them to double-down on them it will open up our shooters. So...if we can take care of the ball, have Johnson and Baugh establish a post presence, and hit our open shots. We should win in Piscataway. Obviously, as always, we will have to rebound and defend.

Of course those are pretty generic game-plans, and we would probably win all of our games if we could do those things. We'll see what happens though. This stretch will tell a lot about our team.

Payne won't see much action, if any, vs. TN, it will be Camp and Orrange in backcourt with Kokenis and Lindy L.

Nneka O. has outplayed Glory in the 3 times we've played, so I'll take her and her sister again, even with Baugh in the line-up.

Reaction Score
Cardfan, far be it for me to make you (or any well-intentioned visitor) feel unwelcome here on the Boneyard, BUT. . .

Neither I nor any other 'Yarder needs repetitive reminders of Jeanette Pohlen's ability to play basketball, especially (AAARRGH!) her deadly accuracy when shooting treys.

She didn't graduate soon enough for my taste.

LOL. Sorry. I didn't think I was being repetitive re: Pohlen, but 96 threes is a huge hole to replace. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom