More info for Aresco | The Boneyard

More info for Aresco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thanks again to a long time UConn football beat man - Desmond Conner for posting in his media medium...a little while ago, it was a fan discussion, about being able to find UConn football on TV - in the southern new england region........

http://courantblogs.com/uconn-footb...ed/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I do realize that this kind of thing exists across many conferences, as far as scheduling, but it is my position, that a company like ESPN, has had far too much free reign with the Big East for far too long.

Tradition, is built up around knowing when your games are going to be. Scheduling. It would be nice to have a little bit more say, or at least have a clearly defined structure as to when game times are determined, that's a little better than a week in advance.

I think the league is structured in such a way, that to do something like that - establish kick off times, and broadcast windows relatively farther in advance than 1 week or so, is certainly possible.

Follow the NFL. The NFL has some flexibility late in the season for putting the most ideal matchups in certain timeslots on TV, but the early season schedule is set.

Reaction Score
I am missing your point. It would seem obvious that the more flexibility we give our broadcast partner(s) to select games late in the process, the more money they will pay us for the rights. Having a better negotiator as commissioner won't change that.

Thus, without knowing how much money we would have to give up for how much ability to fix gametimes earlier, what is there to discuss? We all agree scheduling ahead of time is good, and we all agree more money is good.

Reaction Score
Not arguing BL - just spreading the word....fans care about things - like how far in advance you will know when a game will be played. I think I was clear, in that I think, in the past, we've been a little too lenient in allowing the four letter from Bristol, to dictate when, where and be able to do it all season long, right up to the last second as they see fit.

If allowing the same thing to continue in the next media deal is to happen, I would hope that the $ more than compensate for it, and that fans understand it all.

Reaction Score
Waiting til the last second? The date and location are established in January/February. The kickoff time is TBD usually until 7-14 days before kickoff so we can make sure the best matchups get the best time slots for the best exposure. I prefer it this way. Works the same way in the B12, B10, P12, SEC too. CBS, Fox, ABC/ESPN all want to line up the most intriguing matchups at the right times. It's one of the things I actually like about the process. Most times they want to make sure certain teams win games the week or two prior to determine who is on a prime time, who gets that 3:30 spot on ABC as opposed to ESPN, and who gets the Noon kickoff. I don't have a problem with it. It's actually a strategic move by the leagues too, ensuring their conference gets their marquee game on at the right time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's 12 days. Every conference in the country has the same set up and survives.

There are two home games we didn't have start times on months in advance. How is this a big deal?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It's 12 days. Every conference in the country has the same set up and survives.

There are two home games we didn't have start times on months in advance. How is this a big deal?
Because ESPN is teh SUCKIEST! Rabble rabble rabble!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom