More Double Teaming? | The Boneyard

More Double Teaming?

Reaction Score
Is it me or are we double teaming more? Noticed it quite a bit against Champagnie and Richmond in that past 2 games. In game #1 against both players it seemed like our defender was constantly on an island. Not as much in game #2.

Reaction Score
Is it me or are we double teaming more? Noticed it quite a bit against Champagnie and Richmond in that past 2 games. In game #1 against both players it seemed like our defender was constantly on an island. Not as much in game #2.

I noticed it vs both of them. Whaley and Martin seemed to be the guys who were doubling off their man the most. We had 2 or 3 plays yesterday where Richmond went to go to his mid-range post-up vs Cole and it looked like Whaley just smothered him. Really great to see our staff adjust our approach.

I think the difference between a "good" and a "great" team is that the coaches recognize these changes DURING the game, and the players have the skillset to implement. We're getting there.

Reaction Score
Apparently yes, more double teams. In many earlier games we were backed down and scored upon to easily. Especially done by VIL. They are a master of this. Glad to see the Hurley adjustment. Our team is stepping up in many ways, just need to make more layups, perhaps a tad slower, square the shoulders and roll off of the underhand against the glass.

Reaction Score
At the beginning of the year, there was very little double teaming. So yeah, there is more double teaming now.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As @husky429 said it was clear against Richmond last night. Against Champagnie I noticed it only when Whaley wasn't guarding him. Whaley gives him problems. Seems Hurley has had enough of letting one guy go off an beat us. It's a good adjustment. At the very least it forces the offense away from what they are trying to do. We've seen how disjointed UConn can look when Sanogo is effectively doubled.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The double team is fine IF there is a quick rotation to cover the open man. UConn was way to slow on this last night and if Seaton Hall could shoot the ball better they would have been bringing the roof down raining 3s.
Happily that wasnt the case and UConn ended up with the W - if the opponent was Nova or Creighton
Good win

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Our team is stepping up in many ways, just need to make more layups, perhaps a tad slower, square the shoulders and roll off of the underhand against the glass...
or slam it down the rim, or go hard into contact and make the free throws. Simply put, oOur opponents are not better enough (if better at all) to consistently block so many shots that going up strong wouldn't be a clear net positive.

COVID shut down the 2020 season just as the team was coming together.

COVID reduced the number of games last year, so that the necessary integration of Bouknight and consolidation of team learning didn't happen, and RJ's Creighton injury made it impossible.

We've already played two more games than last season. There are 5 more regular season opportunities to enter games better-prepared, make in-game adjustments, and execute on well-understood, fundamental game-plans to protect the ball & use the clock to extend leads via foul shooting and close out games, against other teams working to do the same.

THESE are the types of season-defining challenges that must be successfully addressed by all top teams once "survive and advance" time comes.

Whether you liked the framing or not, it's back around to "45:07." Go Huskies!

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
The double team is fine IF there is a quick rotation to cover the open man. UConn was way to slow on this last night and if Seaton Hall could shoot the ball better they would have been bringing the roof down raining 3s.
Happily that wasnt the case and UConn ended up with the W - if the opponent was Nova or Creighton
Good win
I agree with this take on how fast the double team happens. There was one instance last night where the Wrench had to go cross court to double, and SH ended up with a wide open 3. But I'm all for the concept in general. Stop letting guys torch us one on one.

Reaction Score
I think the next two matchups will be big for us in terms of confidence. Our guards were struggling to prevent penetration against Xavier and Nunge and Freemantle unfortunately outplayed Sanogo and Whaley by a pretty wide margin. Xavier as a team shot 49% which is enough to win most nights.

Our last game vs Villanova, they ended shooting 59% without one of their best players. I thought we actually played okay offensively, but you're always gonna struggle to pull out a win if you allow 85 points

Our offense can hit some cold spells, but if we can step up on defense, these next couple games are very winnable.

Reaction Score
As @husky429 said it was clear against Richmond last night. Against Champagnie I noticed it only when Whaley wasn't guarding him. Whaley gives him problems. Seems Hurley has had enough of letting one guy go off an beat us. It's a good adjustment. At the very least it forces the offense away from what they are trying to do. We've seen how disjointed UConn can look when Sanogo is effectively doubled.
I take your word on what @husky429 said since I am blocked, I can resort to other means to see what was said but why bother. Hurley and the team are adjusting just at the right time. Let's see how it transpires these last few games and going forward.

Reaction Score
Hurley is making some moves. There was also one play where the double teamed and I think it was Jackson was slow on the rotation. There were 2 SH players wide open, but the defender waited to follow the pass. After a timeout was called, you could see Hurley was upset (not insanely though) that his defender didn't go to the better shooter and leave Yetna open to receive the ball and shoot the 3. It was a 'teachable' moment and Hurley handled it well, but I also like that Hurley must have discussed this with the team. Calhoun lived by 'making the others guys beat you'. It's a solid strategy.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Teams play Jackson as if he doesn’t even exist in the half court. They use his man to deny Sanogo. If we surrounded Sanogo with like 3 quality shooters who could competently throw an entry pass his numbers would be astronomical.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom