More details on push for NCAA unionizing | The Boneyard

More details on push for NCAA unionizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
New York, April 1 () – A group of prominent women’s college basketball players has announced that they have formed a union and will ask the National Labor Relations Board to grant them the right to seek a player vote as to whether the union will be authorized to bargain with the NCAA. The announcement was made at the offices of the Women’s National Basketball Players Association in New York City. It follows a recent determination by the Chicago regional office of the NLRB that the College Athletes Players Association can conduct a union election among Northwestern University football players.

Thomas said that the key goals of the union were two-fold. The first goal is “to help create a level playing field for women’s basketball as other sports seem to be reaching for more resources.” Dolson explained this goal in more specific terms: “We want to make sure the new football union doesn’t grab all of the money.”

Second, according to Thomas, the union wants to prevent coaches and educational institutions from imposing unreasonable demands on players. These demands range from difficult travel schedules to practices that conflict with classes and exams to more unusual obligations. “I mean, I love the twins to death,” Thomas said, “but if I’m going to be babysitting them all the time, I should at least get paid as much for it as a 14 year old instead of hearing that paying me would be a violation of NCAA rules.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom
Top Bottom