More B1G expansion? Amazon still seeking a deal with B1G | The Boneyard

More B1G expansion? Amazon still seeking a deal with B1G

Reaction Score
If Amazon does indeed get involved in the B1G conference. The B1G will need more content. Amazon won't get the primetime matchups but will be looking to fill the schedule with mid-tier & lower tier games. If this does happen the leftovers from the PAC will go to the Big 12 and Amazon may strike up a deal with them as well?

Reaction Score
I’ve seen mentions of antitrust lawsuits if the B1G takes more PAC teams. I don’t think this will happen. As a precaution, the 4 teams leaving for the B1G and the 4 teams leaving for the Big 12 could simply vote to dissolve the PAC 12 Conference. I don’t know what the conference rules are for that, but if 8 out of the 10 vote to dissolve, I’m assuming that will be more than enough votes. Maybe the Big 12 will take Oregon State and Washington State too. They want that late night content like the B1G.

I’m guessing the amount of money the Amazon deal (or whoever buys the extra content) generates will dictate what the pro-rated revenue share will be for the four schools in the B1G. They won’t be full members from Day 1 like USC and UCLA. They will likely have a seven year buy-in period of lesser payouts like Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers had. I’m not sure how the Big 12 will address this issue with the corner schools.

This is all assuming the money is right for the B1G to expand, of course.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How many NFL teams do you think the Big 10 will add?

Reaction Score
How many NFL teams do you think the Big 10 will add?

For NFL markets, they just added Los Angeles. They might add San Francisco and Seattle in the next round. Then after a long pause - maybe around 2030 - they target Miami, Atlanta and Charlotte.

Reaction Score

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
The new Pac-12 is going to be like Oregon State, Washington State, Fresno State, SDSU, etc.

Reaction Score
The new Pac-12 is going to be like Oregon State, Washington State, Fresno State, SDSU, etc.
If the PAC 12 loses 2-4 more schools it may be over but not necessarily.
Even if that happens they’re still in. better. Shape than the Big East was in 2013
The Big East in Football was in horrible market positions.
But even then ESPN in that low ball bid shot themselves in the foot when you look back.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
If the PAC 12 loses 2-4 more schools it may be over but not necessarily.
Even if that happens they’re still in. better. Shape than the Big East was in 2013
The Big East in Football was in horrible market positions.
But even then ESPN in that low ball bid shot themselves in the foot when you look back.

ESPN has a history of shooting themselves in the foot with lowball offers. What if the lowball offer to the PAC drives schools to Amazon. Either with the Big10 and Big12 or signing the PAC outright, Amazon has the cash to make it hard on ESPN. Amazon could purchase a Big10 Friday night prime time game and a late night, post prime time Saturday night game. If they could cover 4 schools with that deal, that would make ESPN even more regional. If the Big 10 were to invite Washington, Oregon, Stanford and ASU/Utah, that would leave very little for ESPN to promote out west.

Reaction Score
ESPN has a history of shooting themselves in the foot with lowball offers. What if the lowball offer to the PAC drives schools to Amazon. Either with the Big10 and Big12 or signing the PAC outright, Amazon has the cash to make it hard on ESPN. Amazon could purchase a Big10 Friday night prime time game and a late night, post prime time Saturday night game. If they could cover 4 schools with that deal, that would make ESPN even more regional. If the Big 10 were to invite Washington, Oregon, Stanford and ASU/Utah, that would leave very little for ESPN to promote out west.
I think ESPN is assuming that Stanford, Cal, Washington, and Oregon have a good chance of going to the Big 10, a non-ESPN property. And, I think Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and Arizona St. would prefer the Big 12 over a reconstituted Pac 12. So, what is ESPN bidding on with the Pac 12?

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I think ESPN is assuming that Stanford, Cal, Washington, and Oregon have a good chance of going to the Big 10, a non-ESPN property. And, I think Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and Arizona St. would prefer the Big 12 over a reconstituted Pac 12. So, what is ESPN bidding on with the Pac 12?

If the PAC gets paid enough, those schools will stay, even if it’s close to what they are making now. They can prevent Amazon from getting a foothold. Amazon is willing to spend money to get into college football. If the reports are right, those schools will take less from the Big10 to flip, getting them to stay might be easier.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom