Moral victories are for losers | The Boneyard

Moral victories are for losers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
im pleased with the effort dont get me wrong and leading up to this game I was hoping just to make this a game but I hope our players are happy if your happy with this then you will go backwards as a program, our program should be beyond moral victories. Our offense handed the game away with dumb mistakes. The effort was there but not the decison making as far as im concerned its still a loss.

Reaction Score
Lets just go out and beat buffalo. That is the only thing I care about going forward.

Reaction Score
Lets just go out and beat buffalo. That is the only thing I care about going forward.

Well thats all we can do im just looking at it from a team perspective I hope they arent happy if they are happy with this game then they will lose to buffalo, you cant get better from this game by being happy about this game.

Reaction Score
Tonight was the first time in three home games that I walked out unashamed of being a UConn fan. anyone who says we shouldn't be proud of everything about tonight. The fans showed up. We stayed till the end. We were louder than the substantial amount of Michigan fans there. The team played hard and wasn't embarrassed on national tv.

We get a new coach, and we can be fine. The experience tonight at the rent made me feel we could actually join the big ten and compete. Tonight felt like we belonged and anyone who tries to say otherwise just because we lost a close game.

Not happy that we lost. But walking out I felt a hell of a lot better than after the Towson game. We will still have a new coach, but we showed that big time football is within our reach. We have the support, the resources, just need the right coach and the right invite. Get out of this conference and the fans will do their part.

Reaction Score
Tonight was the first time in three home games that I walked out unashamed of being a UConn fan. anyone who says we shouldn't be proud of everything about tonight. The fans showed up. We stayed till the end. We were louder than the substantial amount of Michigan fans there. The team played hard and wasn't embarrassed on national tv.

We get a new coach, and we can be fine. The experience tonight at the rent made me feel we could actually join the big ten and compete. Tonight felt like we belonged and anyone who tries to say otherwise just because we lost a close game.

Not happy that we lost. But walking out I felt a hell of a lot better than after the Towson game. We will still have a new coach, but we showed that big time football is within our reach. We have the support, the resources, just need the right coach and the right invite. Get out of this conference and the fans will do their part.

That I can agree with we do have players who can play maybe with a little better recruiting and coaching it will make a difference. When it comes to night games our crowd is great.

Reaction Score
Tonight I channeled my inner Denny Green. "We let em off da hook", but that was a raucous home crowd. Very much into it. Big Time football can happen here. Warde has to trust his eyes, and see that the team that was out there tonight shouldn't have lost the home opener to an FCS school and that is on the HC. Year three Warde, open the eyes up.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

This!

Big-time crowd. Big-time effort. Didn't feel the way that I used to feel eight years ago playing against WVU, where there was a substantial difference in speed and skill. Three years ago, we knew that we COULD play with the big boys. Today, we remembered that we STILL CAN. With all the misery and hopelessness that has surrounded us over these last many months, we finally got to see that what we were made of, and it's still pretty good...

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This!

Big-time crowd. Big-time effort. Didn't feel the way that I used to feel eight years ago playing against WVU, where there was a substantial difference in speed and skill. Three years ago, we knew that we COULD play with the big boys. Today, we remembered that we STILL CAN. With all the misery and hopelessness that has surrounded us over these last many months, we finally got to see that what we were made of, and it's still pretty good...

I agree with all of these comments, but I don't think we should be patting ourselves on the back for nothing more than another close loss to a mediocre Michigan team. The folks that will make the decisions regarding whether or not UCONN belongs in a major league conference might take notice, but the title message in this thread is still and will always be correct: moral victories are for losers.

I'm not entirely sure that last night's game will change the perception of the Florida State's and Clemson's of the college FB world, who already voted that UCONN doesn't belong with them. I hope and pray that it did help.

Reaction Score
I'm not a big believer in absolutes. Sometimes, a team deals with adversity and needs a confidence boost, even if it comes in defeat. You're not always on top of the world - sometimes you have to climb. Rocky lost in the first movie.

There have been acres of Boneyard threads over the years devoted to dissatisfaction with how we played in wins. Once in a while, you should be able to take some good from defeat. Just for balance.

F

fortebleedsblue

Last nights loss was a tough because of how it unfolded. But as upset as I was last night, looking back there is hope for the future. We have enough talent to be competitive yet that talent hasn't been pushed to its full potential. The atmosphere was electric and I was having a lot of fun for 3 quarters. We desperately need a running game though.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As someone funnier than I said on Twitter this morning. Halfway to moral bowl eligibility.

Reaction Score
Last night was a good showing for UCONN football and that was an entertaining game. I thought the team played inspired football.

That all said, Michigan is a flawed football team and I don't even think they are a top 25 team at season end. We are going to play better teams in Louisville, and probably Rutgers and Cincinnati.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I agree with all of these comments, but I don't think we should be patting ourselves on the back for nothing more than another close loss to a mediocre Michigan team. The folks that will make the decisions regarding whether or not UCONN belongs in a major league conference might take notice, but the title message in this thread is still and will always be correct: moral victories are for losers.

I'm not entirely sure that last night's game will change the perception of the Florida State's and Clemson's of the college FB world, who already voted that UCONN doesn't belong with them. I hope and pray that it did help.

I respect your point of view, but I just wanted to comment on some of your statements as I see them:

1) Michigan isn't mediocre. They're not great, and they certainly aren't in the same class as Alabama. But they aren't mediocre. Mediocre is losing this type of game to a team like Syracuse or USF. Michigan is absolutely better than those teams, as they can boast players that are national All-Americans (i.e., OL - Lewan) and highly talented skill players (Toussaint, Gallon, etc.).

2) Florida State and Clemson will not change their view of us until we win a national championship. The same goes for many of the other "old-guard" southern football schools. To that point, I don't really give a $#it. At the end of the day, conferences make membership decisions based on money, and if we can excite crowds like we did last night (both in the stadium and on national tv), then we are worth a heck of a lot more money.

What we demonstrated last night is that we have a lot of young talent that we should be really excited about. Foxx, McQuillan, Davis, Williams, Melifonwu, etc. We also saw that some of the upperclassmen are finally playing as well as advertised (Smallwood, Stephen, Pruitt, etc.). So it's not so much a "moral victory" that I'm celebrating here as it is a hope for future development and growth of both this team and this program. And THAT'S worth celebrating...

Reaction Score
I thought UConn played quite well - last week's game vs. Akron exposed three main issues for Michigan's offense (horrid interior O-line, QB's poor decision making skills, lack of WRs aside from Gallon) and UConn schemed to take advantage effectively.

Michigan's defense played much better this week than last week, which is why we were able to get away with the W. Hopefully Michigan can use the bye week to fix the O-line or we'll go winless in November.

That second quarter capped with the muffed punt from Da'Mario Jones..ungh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom