Mookie Betts | The Boneyard

Mookie Betts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
21 year old Mookie Betts is tearing up the league for the Portland (AA) Sea Dogs. I know it is early but he is hitting .402 with 5 HRs. He has an OBP of .457 and an OPS of 1.079. Everywhere he has played in his brief career he has walked more times than struck out. He has also stolen 15 bases. He hit .341 for the Sox advance A team last year. The only problem.......he plays second base.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I wonder if Betts has ever played OF. It's not a question for this year anyway. Given Betts' age and level, his ETA is 2016. A lot can happen in 2 years.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Betts has ever played OF. It's not a question for this year anyway. Given Betts' age and level, his ETA is 2016. A lot can happen in 2 years.
I don't think he has. He is actually smaller than Pedroia but much faster and hits for a surprising amount of power. He also has reached base in 65 straight games dating back to last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Saw him at Lowell last two years, just a fun, fun player to watch.

Reaction Score
Just found out that he played center field and short stop in high school. Two more hits and two walks yesterday. Hitting .396 in a pitchers league.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The Sea Dogs only have 3 active outfielders (and the PawSox only 4). Maybe it's time to get Betts some reps beyond the dirt.

Reaction Score
The Sea Dogs only have 3 active outfielders (and the PawSox only 4). Maybe it's time to get Betts some reps beyond the dirt.
I agree. I haven't read anything about his fielding but clearly Pedroia is not going anywhere for a long time. The way this guy works the count and runs the bases, he would be a great lead off man. Jacoby who??

Reaction Score
Mookie update. Last night he walked four time and had a walk-off triple in the 9th to win the game for 2A Portland. His OBP is now at .454. Rumor is he will be in Pawtucket in less than two weeks. He is now splitting time between 2b and cf.

Reaction Score
Mookie is at Triple A Pawtucket now. Last night he won the game with a extra inning home run. He had three hits for the game. The way the Sox outfielders are hitting, could Mookie get a call-up?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Still sticking with that prediction?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Still sticking with that prediction?
The "E" in "ETA" stands for Estimated, and On May 8 and given the givens, it was the smart bet. Personally I won't rush him. If he comes up, it should be for September. No need to start his clock until at least next year. Jackie Bradley Jr. tore the cover off the ball in the minors too (.876 OPS).

Reaction Score
The "E" in "ETA" stands for Estimated, and On May 8 and given the givens, it was the smart bet. Personally I won't rush him. If he comes up, it should be for September. No need to start his clock until at least next year. Jackie Bradley Jr. tore the cover off the ball in the minors too (.876 OPS).
Whatever Jackie did, Mookie was better. His OPS was over .900 and he walked a lot more than he struck out. Mookie is also a much better base stealer. If he can learn center field, we will be saying Jacoby who?

Reaction Score
Mookie is at Triple A Pawtucket now. Last night he won the game with a extra inning home run. He had three hits for the game. The way the Sox outfielders are hitting, could Mookie get a call-up?
I hope he doesn't get a call up and plays the season in Pawtucket. I'm not a fan of rushing young players to the bigs. There are some who make it (Al Kaline comes to mind) but a lot more don't. So much of hitting is confidence. The Sox pitching isn't good enough right now to win the AL East and one additional good bat may win them some games but no title. If they are considering bringing the kid up at least wait and see if the team can compete for the playoffs.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of them signing guys like Andre Torres either. If the Sox were in contention and looking for depth, I might be able to see it. But they heading south rapidly and it might be a good opportunity to see what the kids can do and give them some valuable experience. Remember they rushed Nomar to the bigs and the following year he was ROY.

Reaction Score
I think you keep Bradley in center as he at the very least is giving you close to gold-glove type defense. He's hit at every level he's been at, keep letting him get his swings and hope it just clicks all of a sudden.

I'd play Betts in LF and keep the GG caliber defense up the middle.

Reaction Score
I think you keep Bradley in center as he at the very least is giving you close to gold-glove type defense. He's hit at every level he's been at, keep letting him get his swings and hope it just clicks all of a sudden.

I'd play Betts in LF and keep the GG caliber defense up the middle.
Bradley has good not great speed and there no way the guy is close to being gold glover at least right now. He doesn't quite get to a lot of balls that Ellsbury was able to catch. Hitting in the majors is a lot different than hitting at other levels. The pitchers have better control, make fewer mistakes, and have perfected more pitches. The defense is also a lot better. That said, I'd much rather see the Sox stick with Bradley awhile longer rather than rushing a kid to the big club.

Reaction Score
The Red Sox arre not wining anything this year. They should go full on youth movement and find out what they have or don't have.

Reaction Score
The Red Sox arre not wining anything this year. They should go full on youth movement and find out what they have or don't have.
I agree about the Sox. They are one of the worse hitting teams in all of baseball. However, I don't think they will move Mookie any time soon. He is just getting his feet wet in the outfield and is still playing 2B occasionally. He is doing a lot of damage offensively and may be a better hitter than Xander although he does not have the size or the power. Look for a September call up. Even if they brought him up now, he would not be able to reverse the swan dive the Sox are in.

Ironically, some of the Sox best prospects are small second basemen. Behind Mookie at Portland is 22 year old Sean Coyle who is hitting .342 and plays second base. At 5'8" he is an inch shorter than Mookie.

Reaction Score
danzz I couldn't disagree more about Bradley's defense. Evertime a ball is shot into the gap he not only gets there but is waiting for it for a good 2 to 3 seconds. Plus he has a very good arm.
He is struggling at the plate but I'm sure the sox pitchers absolutely love him.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I agree the Sox arent going anywhere, but the kids should stay where they are until at least Midnight on august 31. No use starting their FA clock.

Reaction Score
I agree the Sox arent going anywhere, but the kids should stay where they are until at least Midnight on august 31. No use starting their FA clock.

This. Unless there is a rash of injuries which necessitate bringing up someone like Betts, then they should get their AB's in the minors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom