Money Mag Best Colleges | The Boneyard

Money Mag Best Colleges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
These college lists are important barometers of relative value and achievement. While they may not be the end all, they are still significant if for nothing else but the optics of where your school stands in whatever the pecking order is of the criteria being considered.
In that spirit, UConn is incredibly well thought of. We are #38 out of the 705 schools evaluated and listed. I've listed the top 50. I like the company we're keeping.
Whether or not its a meaningful analysis I'd rather be UConn at #38---- than Rutgers #105, BC #150, UMass #211, Oklahoma #246, Houston #257, Temple #303, Kansas #334, and (drum roll) Cincinnati #610!

MONEY’s Best Colleges

Here's how MONEY Magazine determined which of the roughly 2,000 four-year U.S. colleges and universities deliver the most value:
1. A great education
2. An affordable price
3. Prepares students for rewarding careers.

MONEY screened out schools with graduation rates below the median, financial difficulties, or fewer than 500 undergraduates.

The remaining 705 colleges were ranked on 24 factors in three categories:
a. Educational quality,
b. Affordability
c. Alumni success.

MONEY also measured comparative value by assessing how well students at each school did vs. what’s expected for students with similar economic and academic backgrounds and the college’s mix of majors.

OVERALL MONEY RANK

1 Princeton University
Princeton, NJ
2 University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI
3 Harvard University
Cambridge, MA
4 Rice University
Houston, TX
5 University of California-Berkeley
Berkeley, CA
5 Brigham Young University
Provo, UT
7 Amherst College
Amherst, MA
8 Cooper Union
New York, NY
9 University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA
10 Stanford University
Stanford, CA
11 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA
12 Yale University
New Haven, CT
13 Texas A & M University
College Station, TX
14 University of California-San Diego
La Jolla, CA
15 University of Florida
Gainesville, FL
16 University of California-Irvine
Irvine, CA
17 University of California-Davis
Davis, CA
18 Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Blacksburg, VA
19 University of Maryland-College Park
College Park, MD
20 University of California-Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA
21 Clemson University
Clemson, SC
22 University of Illinois
Champaign, IL
22 Pomona College
Claremont, CA
24 California Institute of Technology
Pasadena, CA
25 Saint Johns University
Collegeville, MN
26 University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA
27 Vanderbilt University
Nashville, TN
28 Earlham College
Richmond, IN
29 Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA
30 University of Washington
Seattle, WA
30 Brown University
Providence, RI
31 University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN
33 Dartmouth College
Hanover, NH
34 Wellesley College
Wellesley, MA
35 Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA
36 College of William and Mary
Williamsburg, VA
37 Washington State University
Pullman, WA
38 University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT
39 Duke University
Durham, NC
40 Hamilton College
Clinton, NY
41 University of California-Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, CA
42 Virginia Military Institute
Lexington, VA
43 Massachusetts Maritime Academy
Buzzards Bay, MA
43 Bowdoin College
Brunswick, ME
45 University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC
46 Davidson College
Davidson, NC
47 College of Saint Benedict
Saint Joseph, MN
48 Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT
49 Williams College
Williamstown, MA
50 The University of Texas
Austin, TX

Reaction Score
I was pleasantly surprised at UConn's standing here. I guess your reason for posting was to demonstrate that academic quality, affordability, and alumni success, are meaningless in CR.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's a bizarre list.

LOL at BYU.

Reaction Score
Interesting information I do like knowing that my Degree is more useful then a piece of toilet paper. That is actually more useful to me in the long run then anything else.....

Reaction Score
That's a bizarre list.

LOL at BYU.

The main thing with BYU being #6 is that it's fairly inexpensive compared to most private schools, and public schools for that matter. It's probably heavily subsidized by the mormon church. And, it's not too far behind UConn in the USNWR rankings, if I remember correctly. Maybe like 10 spots, so it's a great combination of value and academics.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The main thing with BYU being #6 is that it's fairly inexpensive compared to most private schools, and public schools for that matter. It's probably heavily subsidized by the mormon church. And, it's not too far behind UConn in the USNWR rankings, if I remember correctly. Maybe like 10 spots, so it's a great combination of value and academics.

"Academics". That's why it's funny.

Reaction Score
LOL. WSU isn't a top 50 anything unless we are talking about a list of public schools in the state of Washington. That said like any ranking, if it shakes out in your favor you might as well talk it up.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Some of these are just dumb. Show me one person who would rather have a degree from University of Maryland over Penn...I went to UConn and if I'd had the opportunity, I would have gone to almost any of the colleges from the top 50 that we beat. Objectively, Duke, Hamilton, Bowdoin, Davidson, Middlebury and especially Williams are just better colleges than UConn despite being ranked behind us.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Some of these are just dumb. Show me one person who would rather have a degree from University of Maryland over Penn...I went to UConn and if I'd had the opportunity, I would have gone to almost any of the colleges from the top 50 that we beat. Objectively, Duke, Hamilton, Bowdoin, Davidson, Middlebury and especially Williams are just better colleges than UConn despite being ranked behind us.
It's based on value not outright quality.

Reaction Score

Horrifically bad academics.

People ave been fired there for doing research or publishing. You keep your job and it's safer to do nothing.

Reaction Score
It's based on value not outright quality.

It's not like those terms are mutually exclusive, and value doesn't always equate to a lower price, you can buy something expensive that provides a return over time

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Short is most grads should want a UMd degree over a Penn degree in terms of value.

Most college grads are going to fall in to the fat part of the bell curve for employment income.

In order to justify a right side of the curve college cost you need to have a corresponding employment income curve spot. And with a large sample number for most people an average college cost is a long term strong decision.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Short is most grads should want a UMd degree over a Penn degree in terms of value.

Most college grads are going to fall in to the fat part of the bell curve for employment income.

In order to justify a right side of the curve college cost you need to have a corresponding employment income curve spot. And with a large sample number for most people an average college cost is a long term strong decision.

Yeah because the sticker price is what college really costs people.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Isn't BYU the school of that crazy religion that teaches you how to get super powers?

WVU gives you the power to see into the future of major college athletics. That and the ability to start a couch on fire with the power of your mind.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
WVU gives you the power to see into the future of major college athletics. That and the ability to start a couch on fire with the power of your mind.

The sky's the limit with a degree in pyrotechnics.

My son wants to attend Texas A&M (#13) and try to walk on.

Reaction Score
Oh the ignorance of you BYU bashers
This study is based not on the academic rigors of your school it's limited goal I
suspect is solely on bases monetary value of your degree in the real world.
BYU has s finite group of graduates who owed to their late teen missionary work tend to be somewhat more mature and stable than the typical grad. They usually don't drink or do drugs either .
But thats on ancillary
The LDS business ventures are legend
Every one Knows Marriot
Some know Jet Blue and Baine Capital
Those are merely the tip of huge and varied enterprises
This is the ready made network of the BYU grad which certainly makes their degree very valuable. I certainly not going to condemn their favortism while keeping a blind eye to its institutionalization in our culture.
It's not quite the elitist networks of the Ivy schools but it has potential none the less

Reaction Score
Oh the ignorance of you BYU bashers
This study is based not on the academic rigors of your school it's limited goal I
suspect is solely on bases monetary value of your degree in the real world.
BYU has s finite group of graduates who owed to their late teen missionary work tend to be somewhat more mature and stable than the typical grad. They usually don't drink or do drugs either .
But thats on ancillary
The LDS business ventures are legend
Every one Knows Marriot
Some know Jet Blue and Baine Capital
Those are merely the tip of huge and varied enterprises
This is the ready made network of the BYU grad which certainly makes their degree very valuable. I certainly not going to condemn their favortism while keeping a blind eye to its institutionalization in our culture.
It's not quite the elitist networks of the Ivy schools but it has potential none the less
Are you a Mormon? Just asking.

Reaction Score
I was pleasantly surprised at UConn's standing here. I guess your reason for posting was to demonstrate that academic quality, affordability, and alumni success, are meaningless in CR.
Send this list to Delany......no way should UT,OKLA or KU or others be ahead of the 38th best value in CR....talk about undervalued??

Reaction Score
Are you a Mormon? Just asking.
No religion is one of my interests
Plus living in a place where an LSD meeting house is about equal to Walgreens in number gives you a little different perspective
Plus another of my interest is Geneology
I'm on Ancestry.com LDS owned
Have usedFamily Tree Maker for years which they just sold
If your in that field you have to use their resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads