Mo'ne in Chevrolet Commercial | The Boneyard

Mo'ne in Chevrolet Commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watching the World Series and just saw Mo'ne Davis featured in a full minute Chevrolet commercial. Linked article says commercial was directed by Spike Lee. Says she has to hurry and capitalize on her fame - taking money now is OK with NCAA, but once she starts 9th grade it would affect her amateur status (don't they have fuzzy rules on that age/grade thing?)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...mercial-game-1-world-series-article-1.1982726

(Video of the commercial is embedded in the article)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
CBS this Morning also mentioned the NCAA ruling - and that she "wants to play for the Huskies".

A bit of PC in the commercial title though - Davis does NOT throw like a girl - she throws like a guy.

Reaction Score
CBS this Morning also mentioned the NCAA ruling - and that she "wants to play for the Huskies".

A bit of PC in the commercial title though - Davis does NOT throw like a girl - she throws like a guy.

It's not PC she does throw like a girl. Your comment....ugh!

Reaction Score
What's wrong with throwing like a girl? I hate that comment.

Yes, another one I've seen here is put the quarterback in a skirt. Such comment are used to insult men but it's more insulting to women.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
It just contributes to the idea that we are the weaker sex. I expect to see that a lot of places, but not on here.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
UGH?

I wondered how long it would take before the PC police jumped to the wrong conclusion. Taking offense were there is none.
Thaty seems to happen all too often here.

Throwing like a guy is a compliment. The same way that Taurasi playing bball "like a guy" was a compliment.

Take 100 girls of Davis' age, line them up and have them throw a baseball. Probably 99 of them will throw like a girl. Clumsy. often wrong footed, off balance and with little or no power. Most girls throw using only the forearm and the wrist where males typically use the whole body, gaining power from weight shift, rotation and full arm extension.

I know this because I coached my daughter's softball team and I still watch and occasionally umpire a dozen or more girl's (9-10 and U12) softball games every summer. Guess what! Most of those girls that age throw like a girl. It takes lots of coaching and practice for girls to learn how to throw like a guy - some never do.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It just contributes to the idea that we are the weaker s e x. I expect to see that a lot of places, but not on here.

Do a little research on the subject. It has nothing to do with strength.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Well, having coached softball for 20 years, including 8 years of high school (state championship), and many players who went on to play college ball...

"taking offense were there is none" is a blaming-the-victim sort of approach. Utter nonsense.
"Take 100 girls of Davis' age ...probably 99 of them will throw like a girl". Maybe decades ago, but, given the number of girls involved in sports these days, I doubt it.
"Jump to the wrong conclusion" .. naw, correct conclusion, I think. Wrong-headed sexist, out-of-date thinking.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I would want that commitment from the NCAA in writing.

Eh, they'd probably renege on their promise anyway. Integrity doesn't seem all that important to the NCAA.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It just contributes to the idea that we are the weaker s e x. I expect to see that a lot of places, but not on here.

Physically, in terms of athleticism in general (with all things being equal) that's true. Not in everything else though. It's not an insult.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
From ESPN's business analyst.

darren rovellVerified account ‏@darrenrovell
If NCAA allows Mo'ne Davis to take $, they have to rescind violation for Geno Auriemma calling her.

If Darren Rovell wasn't such an idiot, I'd really love this.

Seriously though, the NCAA will do nothing. Admitting they are wrong is not really part of their playbook.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is a biological fact that on average men are taller and have more muscle mass than women.
It is a recorded fact that male athletic records for strength and speed and leaping ability and throwing velocity and throwing distance are greater than comparable female records.
To acknowledge scientific and recorded differences between females and males is not being sexist, it is being rational. To do so in a derogatory way is something else.
It is also true that if you took a random group of males and females of any age and asked them to throw a ball, you would find a higher percentage of women who did not throw in a mechanically efficient way. I suspect you would also find that that percentage varied greatly by age with the oldest age group of women being the least efficient and a pretty consistent progression by age to the youngest group that would be most efficient. A direct correlation to changing societal norms in recreational availability, participation, and access for women. With those changes women's average physical and athletic capabilities are rising, but the physical limitations of the genetic differences in males and females still means that at the top end there will always be a difference.

While I firmly believe in equal rights for men and women I do not ignore scientific facts in acknowledging that physically they are not 'equal'. But there are very few aspects of civilized life where that difference has any bearing at all and in the few instances where it does generally, the standard deviation within gender represent a greater difference in capability than the difference between average capability in males and the outlier capability in females.

To say 'throw like a girl' or 'throw like a boy' is probably no longer an acceptable way of describing 'throwing in a mechanically efficient manner' but it is a shorthand that has been in common usage for a very long time and is only now really being challenged - probably a good thing, but something that will take a while to disappear from usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom