OT - -Mo'ne Davis Philadelphia LL [merged thread] | The Boneyard

OT - -Mo'ne Davis Philadelphia LL [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The new sensation in LL Baseball at the LL WORLD SERIES is Mo'ne Davis! Read the article and especially the highlighted in RED section! A very smart girl!

Girl phenom Mo'ne Davis delivering in major way and even wows Dodgers’ Clayton Kershaw

Everybody from Diane Sawyer to Ellen DeGeneres to Inside Edition has reached out to Mo’ne Davis, not so much because of her 70-mph heater but because she is a 13-year-old groundbreaker, believed to be the first African-American girl to play in the Little League World Series, which commences Thursday in Williamsport, Pa.
BY Wayne Coffey
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Thursday, August 14, 2014, 12:23 AM

pennsylvania-league-baseball.jpg
Michael S. Wirtz/The Philadelphia Inquirer, AP Mo'ne Davis has pitched her team into Little league World Series, drawing attention of Cy Young winner Clayton Kershaw in the process.
With braids flapping and fastball snapping, Mo’ne Davis of Philadelphia has become, quite suddenly, the biggest pitching sensation in baseball, at least from the distance of 46 feet. Nobody knows this better than her catcher of five years, Scott Bandura, who says that anybody who regards Davis as some sort of girly gate-crasher or nubile novelty at the Little League World Series needs to take a closer look.

“I would just tell them to come watch her play,” the 5-3, 88-pound Bandura said. “If people come in with that mentality, they are in for a surprise. She can locate and has a lot of movement on her fastball. She is the No. 1 pitcher on our staff.”

Everybody from Diane Sawyer to Ellen DeGeneres to Inside Edition has reached out to Mo’ne Davis, not so much because of her 70-mph heater but because she is a 13-year-old groundbreaker, believed to be the first African-American girl to play in the Little League World Series, which commences Thursday in Williamsport, Pa.

It is one more achievement for Davis, an eighth-grade honor roll student at prestigious Springside Chestnut Hill Academy in northwest Philadelphia and standout pitcher for the Taney Dragons, having hurled a three-hit shutout to lead her team to the Mid-Atlantic Region title last weekend. No official announcement has been made, but Davis will likely be on the mound when Taney opens its tournament against Nashville on Friday.

Davis and Vancouver’s Emma March, who is also a pitcher, are the 17th and 18th girls to play in youth baseball’s most storied tournament, an experience that Davis seems completely ready for. Her trademark braids may bounce all over the place on the mound, but her inner compass seems pile-driven into the ground.
“I’m actually really excited because I want to go out there and have fun,” Davis said from her Williamsport room. You ask her what she focuses on when she takes the hill, even as the stakes ratchet upward.

“I just think about throwing strikes and hitting the spots I have to hit in order to win the game,” she said.

Coaches, educators, teammates — all of them offer nothing but raves about the skill and makeup of the 5-4, 111-pound Davis, who plays against boys not just in baseball, but also in soccer and basketball, which Steve Bandura, her basketball coach with the Anderson Monarchs, a club team in center-city Philadelphia, sees up close.

“I wouldn’t call her a great athlete,” Bandura, the father of Davis’ catcher, said. “I’d call her a good athlete, but her analytical skills and her mental skills are off the charts. She is playing chess against players who are playing checkers.”
Dr. Priscilla Sands is the president of Springside Chestnut Hill Academy and has known Davis since she was a third-grader. Davis has to get up at 5:45 every morning to make the one-hour, 20-minute bus trip from her south Philadelphia home, and apparently has never balked at doing so. “From the day she came here, there was something so lovely and special about her,” Sands said. “She brings the same intensity that she has in sports to her academic work. She’s going to go far. There are no limits for this child.”

Davis, who will likely play varsity basketball and soccer for Springside Chestnut Hill this year, agrees that basketball is her best sport. Her favorite players are Seth Curry and Maya Moore, and her goal is to be the point guard for UConn, and coach Geno Auriemma, a Philadelphian himself. “Is it in the realm of possibility? Absolutely,” Steve Bandura said. “She’s Steve Nash on the basketball floor. She sees everything. She always has a plan.”

After her shutout to get the Taney Dragons to Williamsport, Davis joked about wanting to challenge her favorite pitcher, Clayton Kershaw, to a pitch-off. Davis admires Kershaw’s command, and the nasty break of his curveball. On Wednesday, Kershaw, 14-2, 1.78 and seemingly on his way to his third Cy Young Award, responded.

“Hey Mo’ne, just wanted to say congratulations on making it to Williamsport,” Kershaw said in a video posted by ESPN-w. “That’s awesome, such a cool thing for you to get to do. Such a fun opportunity, and I heard you’re ready for a pitch-off. I don’t know exactly what that means, but I’m prepared. I’m ready for whenever you can make it out to L.A., just let me know.”

Davis, for her part, is ready to play some ball amid the rolling hills of north-central Pennsylvania. “Making it here has been a dream,” Mo’ne Davis said.

Reaction Score
I just saw the regional final. That Taney squad is solid and young Ms Davis is a good as advertised. She threw an 0-1 curveball in the sixth inning that just fell off the table.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I heard about her this afternoon... best wishes to the kid

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I hope we get some Boneyard reports on how she does as the days go by.

Go Mo'ne!!!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Two hit shutout, 14 ks. Final 4-0. The kid has one helluva arm!!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I stand corrected. I only got a glance at a box score, but would have sworn it said 14ks and 3 bbs, along with the two hits. Anyway, yes, very impressive. If she can dribble and dish like she pitches, she will make us a great point guard.

Reaction Score
elzorrogris said:
I stand corrected. I only got a glance at a box score, but would have sworn it said 14ks and 3 bbs, along with the two hits. Anyway, yes, very impressive. If she can dribble and dish like she pitches, she will make us a great point guard.

You probably read the quick story that said she has thrown back to back shutouts with 14 Ks (6 in the regional final, 8 in Williamsport). First time I read the story, my eyes jumped to 14 Ks and I thought the same thing you did.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I will bet that she got congratulatory messages from some folks y'all have heard of! Too early to recruit but not too early to keep in touch

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The commentators were saying after the game that she wants to play point guard in the WNBA. And she wants to play college ball for Geno and Uconn!!!!!!!

This is one girl to keep an eye on.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I saw her interview and she sounded incredibly mature and like a seasoned athlete with great focus. If she is as good at basketball as she is at baseball, UCONN will be getting one heck if a PG.

Reaction Score
Just this minute got a very excited call from a widow friend of mine down outside Philly. She reports that this 13 year old girl, Davis, has thrown back-to-back shutouts for a boys team in the Little League World Series, allowing just three hits in the two games. Blazing fastball. Also plays football.

Someone told Davis she could be a pitcher in MLB someday, and she replied by saying that she wants to be a basketball player and get a scholarship to play for UCONN.

The caller knows what a huge fan I am of "Our Girls," and was so excited I'm not sure all her facts are exact, but the general story certainly is. And now that I write this, I'm thinking we've heard some things about this kid on The Yard before.....maybe someone even had a clip of her dribbling or something like that?

Reaction Score
RL: well, thank you. Had not seen that thread (rarely do I check the OT stuff). Found it very interesting - and what a great photo. Nice to get more detail on her and her admiration for Maya Moore, etc. Appreciated. If anyone else missed that thread, I'd encourage you to take a peak at it.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it would not surprise me if by the time this girl is ready to enroll in college, Geno could be ridin' in the sunset to tend to his restaurants, wine and other ventures. I hope I am wrong, and he signs another 5yr deal when his current one expires. I am not so sure.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it would not surprise me if by the time this girl is ready to enroll in college, Geno could be ridin' in the sunset to tend to his restaurants, wine and other ventures. I hope I am wrong, and he signs another 5yr deal when his current one expires. I am not so sure.
The program isn't going anywhere. He will have as much say in his successor as Jim Calhoun did with his. And Ward will thank him.

Reaction Score
In the interview after her LL WS shutout Friday she was asked about the big media pressing for her time, interviews and the like, how does she block it out to go on the mound, she said, "I can always say no!" Not a bad answer for a 13 year old!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom