Molly Looking For Huge Sophomore Season | The Boneyard

Molly Looking For Huge Sophomore Season

Reaction Score
Maybe this is what she meant about having a huge sophomore year: sounds as if she already had a pretty impressive freshman one....

Bent earned Dean’s List honors in her first two semesters at UConn. But while a pair of on-court runs ended for the Huskies last March, an off-the-court one ended for Bent in May.

For the first time since the first of her three years at Tabor Academy (which followed two perfect years at Barnstable High), she did not get all A’s on her transcript during the spring semester.

“What happened? English happened,” Bent said with a shake of the head. “I’m a little bitter. I got a B-plus in a freshman English course. I’m thinking about being a math major so that writing side is not my forte.”

She got back on her run of A’s during the five-week summer school session that lasted through June.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She just became my favorite. Loves math, could live without English :D

“What happened? English happened,” Bent said with a shake of the head. “I’m a little bitter. I got a B-plus in a freshman English course. I’m thinking about being a math major so that writing side is not my forte.”

Reaction Score

What happened? English happened,” Bent said with a shake of the head. “I’m a little bitter. I got a B-plus in a freshman English course. I’m thinking about being a math major so that writing side is not my forte.”
I don't know the UConn freshman English program. But most required freshman English programs at larger public schools are sort of shotgun programs: large lecture classes, smaller sections often taught by graduate students more interested in their own work than that of their students, grading that is done all too rapidly, etc. The economics of it force an approach that the goal is to get everyone writing college-effective. In that (arguably justifiable) approach, a lot of good students fall between the cracks: their work may be a bit idiosyncratic and therefore judged "subpar" rather than just different. Some of the best writers I know did poorly on the writing part of the SATs for that very reason. So, it's not necessarily that Molly is less than an outstanding writer; it's entirely possible that she's a very effective writer with her own style.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't know the UConn freshman English program. But most required freshman English programs at larger public schools are sort of shotgun programs: large lecture classes, smaller sections often taught by graduate students more interested in their own work than that of their students, grading that is done all too rapidly, etc. The economics of it force an approach that the goal is to get everyone writing college-effective. In that (arguably justifiable) approach, a lot of good students fall between the cracks: their work may be a bit idiosyncratic and therefore judged "subpar" rather than just different. Some of the best writers I know did poorly on the writing part of the SATs for that very reason. So, it's not necessarily that Molly is less than an outstanding writer; it's entirely possible that she's a very effective writer with her own style.

She made the point of wanting to be a math major thereby implying that she follows the well known stereotype that being good in math is synonymous with being less than great in English (in all it's facets). I was a Math major and that described me and many of my friends quite well.

Reaction Score
She made the point of wanting to be a math major thereby implying that she follows the well known stereotype that being good in math is synonymous with being less than great in English (in all it's facets). I was a Math major and that described me and many of my friends quite well.
So now we're stereotyping her, huh? :)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Getting back to basketball, I think it is realistic (maybe not probable) that Molly could have a fine season as the 4th guard on Geno's depth chart. To do that, she would certainly have to be the best 4th guard in the country, and of course beat out Coombs / Gordon / AEH for the role. They probably have more athletic ability than she does, but she is no slouch as an athlete herself.

As say, not likely but certainly possible.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Getting back to basketball, I think it is realistic (maybe not probable) that Molly could have a fine season as the 4th guard on Geno's depth chart. To do that, she would certainly have to be the best 4th guard in the country, and of course beat out Coombs / Gordon / AEH for the role. They probably have more athletic ability than she does, but she is no slouch as an athlete herself.

Well said. Not sure if she needs to be the 4th best guard in the country - just the 4th best on UCONN! If you look at the depth chart (players in the 3,4 5 positions are "forwards" in my example)...

Forwards - Gabby, Napheesa, KLS, Azura, Batouly, Megatron, Kyla
Guards - Crystal, Kia, Molly, AEH, Lexi, Mikayla

Regardless of who starts, I think we can all agree that Crystal, Kia, KLS, Gabby, Napheesa and Azura will be the players who get the most PT. I think Megan and Batouly get a majority of the forward minutes and Mikayla IMHO will be the 3rd guard. That leaves Molly, AEH and Lexi battling for PT next. Even tho UCONN will have a bunch of tough games where I could see only 8 or maybe 9 kids getting PT, I don't think anyone will average more than 25 MPG as Geno works to make the team the best they can be while still trying to give PT to everyone who deserves it...

Gonna be a fun season! I don't expect a bumpy ride from a win/loss perspective, but I do expect a lot of debate on the BY as to who "deserves" more PT and chatter if everyone is "happy" (metaphorically speaking - are ANY players Geno is riding hard really "happy"???!!)...

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Just to stand up for the journalist here, it's an editor, not the piece's author, who writes the headline. (Yes, I realize you didn't blame the writer, Rocky).

I've been a sports journalist all my adult life and while a good editor can improve your copy, one with limited skills can diminish your work and embarrass you. For example, I once described an executive as "without affectation." An editor changed it to "without affection." Another time I wrote that something was "tony" and it was edited to "tiny." You feel like going up to the offended party with your laptop, showing him the screen and saying, "See, it wasn't me!"

Okay, rant over.

Have a great season, Molly, both on the court and in the classroom. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
I had the misfortune of having the department chair for my first English writing class in college. They couldn't find an instructor for the section I had been placed in so we got him by default. Escaped with a 'C' but I am one of the best writers we have in the engineering firm I work for. ;)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Well said. Not sure if she needs to be the 4th best guard in the country - just the 4th best on UCONN! If you look at the depth chart (players in the 3,4 5 positions are "forwards" in my example)...

Forwards - Gabby, Napheesa, KLS, Azura, Batouly, Megatron, Kyla
Guards - Crystal, Kia, Molly, AEH, Lexi, Mikayla

Regardless of who starts, I think we can all agree that Crystal, Kia, KLS, Gabby, Napheesa and Azura will be the players who get the most PT. I think Megan and Batouly get a majority of the forward minutes and Mikayla IMHO will be the 3rd guard. That leaves Molly, AEH and Lexi battling for PT next. Even tho UCONN will have a bunch of tough games where I could see only 8 or maybe 9 kids getting PT, I don't think anyone will average more than 25 MPG as Geno works to make the team the best they can be while still trying to give PT to everyone who deserves it...

Gonna be a fun season! I don't expect a bumpy ride from a win/loss perspective, but I do expect a lot of debate on the BY as to who "deserves" more PT and chatter if everyone is "happy" (metaphorically speaking - are ANY players Geno is riding hard really "happy"???!!)...
I didn't say that Molly would have to be the "4th best guard in the country"; I said she would have to be the "best 4th guard in the country". There is a big difference! Almost as big as some of those that TheBridgeman noted. Can you think of another WCBB team whose 4th best guard is as good as Molly? I can't.

On your other point, you are counting both KLS and Gabby as forwards. Since I think Azura will start and Crystal will not, I have to assume that one of them will function as a guard. I've said before that I think KLS will function as a 2 guard on offense but as a forward on defense, and Gabby will function as a wing on offense and as a guard (perimeter defender) on defense. So my depth chart for guard would start as follows:

1st pair: Kia and KLS/Gabby (even though both KLS and Gabby will play simultaneously);
2nd pair: Crystal and X.

X will be one of (Molly, Mikayla, Lexi, AEH). Will it be Molly? It seems like the odds are against her, but she is a very good athlete and she has the inestimable advantage of a year at UConn under her belt. Personally, I will be rooting for her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Can you think of another WCBB team whose 4th best guard is as good as Molly? I can't.

I can, just by looking at the teams that UCONN played last year alone.

ND: Allen, Young, Mabrey & Ogunbowale , M. Johnson- This coming season it would be Lili Thompson

Missi. St: Vivians, William, Dilliagham & Shafer

Maryland: Slocum, Charles, Confroy & Small

Florida State: Romero, Brown, Wright & Ekhomu

Baylor: Jones, Wallace, Prince & Chou

Texas: Sutton, McCarthy, Atkins & Higgs

South Carolina: Davis, Gray, Harris, Cuevas-Moore
I generally understand and agree with what you are trying to say but being the best 4th guard in the country is a tall order- there are a lot of good guards out there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
TT

Molly has always been the Uconn kid I was rooting for to excel--She a small town kid, and probably believes Frosh defer to "upper classmen"--she showed moment's of very good ness. She can pass well and has a good instinct in passing. Confidence needed a great big inject of DT--if the confidence comes she will contribute as she has the talent and size to do. Erwin separated herself from Molly last year showing hutspa (sp) and no fear to take nearly any shot--Molly passed up shots. Hope that changes.

Reaction Score

Joe it does not matter whether you are correct or incorrect about Molly. She needs every good word that can be written about her. I have no analysis of where or how Molly shall excel--I'm going on pure emotions hoping this nice kid gets her hour, month, year in the sun.
The four Frosh--Walker looked good in Italy--Gordon looks good--but frosh have a way of not giving their best---I hope they all vie for starting slots (unbelievable as it may be).
In terms of probabilities --it has a certain possibility that Molly may become a Soph Gabby (without the jumping) (just watched Gabby against Tx as a soph--nuf sed).

Reaction Score
So now we're stereotyping her, huh? :)
Youse nose dat ain't troo mise mat is as gud as mise anglish--and I kaint type in mono or stereo.
Once youse put a Jock in a Jock suit--immediately: they cain't spel, cain't cypher, cain't doose der numbers--mat an anglish jist ain't in der lives--dumb jocks.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maybe this is what she meant about having a huge sophomore year: sounds as if she already had a pretty impressive freshman one....

Bent earned Dean’s List honors in her first two semesters at UConn. But while a pair of on-court runs ended for the Huskies last March, an off-the-court one ended for Bent in May.

For the first time since the first of her three years at Tabor Academy (which followed two perfect years at Barnstable High), she did not get all A’s on her transcript during the spring semester.

She got back on her run of A’s during the five-week summer school session that lasted through June.
I knew Molly would help the team GPA.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I didn't consider any college where English was required. Weird thing is, I was an avid reader and good writer. The English teachers just took all the fun out of both.

Reaction Score

I don't know if this is Uconn NOW--it was Uconn then--how well I knew it. Some professional writers had their material evaluated by a number of college English departments--none received better than a C. Subjective evaluations find it difficult to make consistent decisions. Before Sats Connecticut Stated fund schools accepted without further testing students that obtained a B or better in the State dictated core subjects if those schools met State requirements. This assured schools like Uconn those students had a good chance of doing well in those subjects.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom