Molly Bent's Sister Plays With A Lou Bun | The Boneyard

Molly Bent's Sister Plays With A Lou Bun

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"On the basketball court, it’s Sarah Bent’s preferred hairstyle. She wears it that way because her favorite player, Katie Lou Samuelson, wears it that way.

“She knows her UConn basketball,” her sister, Molly, a junior with the Huskies, said. “She went through a stage last year where she wore the Katie Lou bun in her games. I was like, ‘What about the Molly ponytail?’ I guess I’m not her favorite player. She’s never actually told me (who is), but I guess the bun says it all. If you’re wearing the bun, it’s got to be Lou.”

Added Kathy, her mother: “We call it the Loudo.”

“Everything Molly does she shares with Sarah, really,” Kathy said. “I don’t even really know how to describe it. She kind of treats her as an equal. She makes Sarah rise. She brings out the best in her, and Sarah brings a lot of good out of Molly. It’s a very unique relationship.”

I've given you the beginning and the end. The middle is pretty terrific, but you be the judge.

UConn’s Molly Bent finds motivation by watching younger sister with Down syndrome

Reaction Score
"On the basketball court, it’s Sarah Bent’s preferred hairstyle. She wears it that way because her favorite player, Katie Lou Samuelson, wears it that way.

“She knows her UConn basketball,” her sister, Molly, a junior with the Huskies, said. “She went through a stage last year where she wore the Katie Lou bun in her games. I was like, ‘What about the Molly ponytail?’ I guess I’m not her favorite player. She’s never actually told me (who is), but I guess the bun says it all. If you’re wearing the bun, it’s got to be Lou.”

Added Kathy, her mother: “We call it the Loudo.”

“Everything Molly does she shares with Sarah, really,” Kathy said. “I don’t even really know how to describe it. She kind of treats her as an equal. She makes Sarah rise. She brings out the best in her, and Sarah brings a lot of good out of Molly. It’s a very unique relationship.”

I've given you the beginning and the end. The middle is pretty terrific, but you be the judge.

UConn’s Molly Bent finds motivation by watching younger sister with Down syndrome
Thanks sir rock of the Mount

Super great story. Only part I didn't care for were the words: "high functioning" the implication those words transmit. Sarah is Sarah, has trouble with math (who didn't )
In school classes of History and Science pretty tough stuff; sounds.
Molly was truly likable from day one but this sister act is just what I'd expect from Molly.
An honest article.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Super great story. Only part I didn't care for were the words: "high functioning" the implication those words transmit. Sarah is Sarah, has trouble with math (who didn't )

This is an honest question: How would you compactly phrase this differently? I can imagine a paragraph indicating that Down doesn't necessarily mean hugely depressed intelligence, intelligence isn't easily measured or indicative of overall ability, etc. It may be non-PC, but I think it conveys just what it needs to convey, and does it succinctly.

I also point out that it was Sarah's mother who called her "high-functioning", and I don't think it's up to you or me to second guess her raising of her daughter; she seems to be doing a great job.

Reaction Score
This is an honest question: How would you compactly phrase this differently? I can imagine a paragraph indicating that Down doesn't necessarily mean hugely depressed intelligence, intelligence isn't easily measured or indicative of overall ability, etc. It may be non-PC, but I think it conveys just what it needs to convey, and does it succinctly.

I also point out that it was Sarah's mother who called her "high-functioning", and I don't think it's up to you or me to second guess her raising of her daughter; she seems to be doing a great job.

It is a phrase I don't like for obvious reasons. I wouldn't like it if Obama, the Pope, or anyone else said it. I don't like it. If you do, that is your prerogative. My cousin has a child with this condition and no one sees her with limited functioning. AS Molly has stated Sarah will give as good as she gets. I liked Molly before now I like her more.

In my post at no time, nowhere did I mention the word DOWN, but had I it would be part of a condition not as a downer. To dig deeply into the meaning of this comment or many others offers no benefit. So, I'll pass on the opportunity to put my foot in my mouth.
There is nothing PC or anti-PC about discussing Sarah's abilities. No second guessing Sarah's Mom, I just don't like the phrase. To make a federal case out of not liking a phrase is wasting good negatve comments about Geno's bench.

Reaction Score
What a great story. These folks on this team are so easy to like.
To beat a dead horse: For 66 years my brain has lost 1 gram per year, am I now high functioning or low functioning or just me?. We all have (as I was once told) our own crosses to bear. No one is perfect each of us is not fully functional, you may think on that one.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Broadway, I didn't mean to open a can of worms. As I said in my post, I was just asking if you had a better way to express that thought than the expression you loathe. I pointed out difficulties. I guess I shouldn't have brought PC into it, and was not implying that that was the origin of your complaint.

I cannot comment on your functioning other than to say I enjoy your posts and think you're very insightful and obviously appreciate the game and team we all love.

Reaction Score
Broadway, I didn't mean to open a can of worms. As I said in my post, I was just asking if you had a better way to express that thought than the expression you loathe. I pointed out difficulties. I guess I shouldn't have brought PC into it, and was not implying that that was the origin of your complaint.

I cannot comment on your functioning other than to say I enjoy your posts and think you're very insightful and obviously appreciate the game and team we all love.

I apologize! The simple answer is: I'd have been more pleased if Sarah's health was not mentioned. Sarah is Sarah nothing more needed to be said. Not hiding in shame that's not my intent. Intent is to accept.
I know on my second post --i was an idiot. It is a sore point with me, obviously. We should look at what people do, not what they can't. Life is full of people with issues, like me and this issue. Sorry, Bigboote--MY BAD, as I have said " Reading is fundamental--and I failed to properly read--sorry. (note the 66 year comment: after age 20 humans lose one gram every year of brain weight and associated cells so I'm a tad over 66)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
No harm, no foul, my friend.

Best to you and yours (and all Molly's and Sarah's fans) for the New Year!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom