Molly Bent To See Expanded Role? | The Boneyard

Molly Bent To See Expanded Role?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From Jim Fuller's Blog:

When the media was allowed into watch the last part of today's practice the first thing I was struck by was how much more time freshman Molly Bent was seeing with the starters. Naturally, when we spoke to UConn coach Geno Auriemma after practice it was one of the first subjects I brought up.

"We need to find another guard, find somebody else that can give us some meaningful minutes," Auriemma said. "I don't want to be in the situation where Kia (Nurse) and Lou (Samuelson) are playing more minutes than I would like for them to play so between Saniya (Chong), Crystal and Molly, we have to get some good stuff out of those guys coming up."

The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And this is a surprise?

Reaction Score
The surprise is that he is not talking about other players who could be stepping up!!!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
May I smugly say, "I told you so"?

I've seen numerous posters say that Molly was miles and miles behind Crystal, close to Kyla at the end of the bench, and that would never change especially when next year's freshmen show up. Meanwhile, watching her when she plays (particularly recently), I see her play with very few mistakes and (for the minutes involved) a lot of stat-stuffing in every category but scoring -- kind of like a certain Hoosier from a few years ago.

The difference between Crystal and Molly -- and it is a significant one -- is that Crystal will regularly make spectacularly good plays (an amazing pass or an amazing shot) that Molly will never make. Other than that, they are both freshmen who make freshman mistakes, but for both players there are fewer and fewer of those.

On offense in the last few games, I have seen Molly spot up in the weak side corner and (generally) never receive the ball. I wouldn't be surprised if Geno is coaching the other players to find her if the defense is ignoring her, and is coaching her to take the shots that she is given. If that happens in games and she makes a reasonable percentage of those shots, and continues with the rest of her Faris game, she will become the 8th player in the regular rotation and will see a number of minutes even in competitive games.

Reaction Score
Molly and Crystal are very different players with different roles. Molly is effectively the Kia sub--bigger than Crystal, a more stick 'em kind of defensive player, who will eventually hit the outside shot. Crystal is there to run the offense with terrific explosive power and a surreal sense of ball movement. I agree that Molly has a bright future with this club, despite the influx of freshman talent next year.

What is astonishing to all of us, I think, and seemingly far more important for the success of this year's team is that Kyla isn't progressing enough. She gets very little playing time and, despite impressive play during the 2 preseason exhibition games, has pretty much disappeared. If she were able to give a dependable 5-8 minutes right now, that would, IMHO, be a far more important development than Molly's for this year's team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I like Molly's hustle. She plays solid defense and she's a good passer. I hope that part of what is going on in practice is that Geno is encouraging Molly to shoot the ball when she's open with the ball in her hands, because right now she appears to be reluctant to pull the trigger.

Reaction Score
On offense in the last few games, I have seen Molly spot up in the weak side corner and (generally) never receive the ball. I wouldn't be surprised if Geno is coaching the other players to find her if the defense is ignoring her, and is coaching her to take the shots that she is given. If that happens in games and she makes a reasonable percentage of those shots, and continues with the rest of her Faris game, she will become the 8th player in the regular rotation and will see a number of minutes even in competitive games.
Good observation. Geno frowns upon players who turn down open shots (unless there is a better shot elsewhere near the hoop). He questioned Collier in one of his episodes when she passed on a 9 footer. If Geno has you on the court you are expected to take and make open shots.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Molly and Crystal are very different players with different roles. Molly is effectively the Kia sub--bigger than Crystal, a more stick 'em kind of defensive player, who will eventually hit the outside shot. Crystal is there to run the offense with terrific explosive power and a surreal sense of ball movement. I agree that Molly has a bright future with this club, despite the influx of freshman talent next year.

What is astonishing to all of us, I think, and seemingly far more important for the success of this year's team is that Kyla isn't progressing enough. She gets very little playing time and, despite impressive play during the 2 preseason exhibition games, has pretty much disappeared. If she were able to give a dependable 5-8 minutes right now, that would, IMHO, be a far more important development than Molly's for this year's team.
Kyla is getting a lot more comfortable and finding out what she can and can't do, you probably don't watch the CLE Cavs, but I liken her development to that of rookie Kay Felder, every game he gets more comfortable in his role and he's starting to learn what he can do in the NBA and how he can be successful, I see the same progression with Kyla. Practice will be important for her, because the attitude is there, she'll find what works for her and how she can best contribute.

Reaction Score
I like Molly's hustle. She plays solid defense and she's a good passer. I hope that part of what is going on in practice is that Geno is encouraging Molly to shoot the ball when she's open with the ball in her hands, because right now she appears to be reluctant to pull the trigger.

Molly came in to uconn a step or two behind Crystal in hype or in the minds of Fans--Bags said it--she's a different kind of player than Crystal. She is a more steady player who may fill in for Kia. Molly CAN shoot and score--and as you say OLDuDE she is shy of throwing it up--that well end soon-Geno has admonished the subs to start to score. Way too often in the final minutes of game--she is at the top of the circle WIDE open and looking to pass--she has to shoot that shot, she CAN make it,.

Reaction Score
....What is astonishing to all of us, I think, and seemingly far more important for the success of this year's team is that Kyla isn't progressing enough. She gets very little playing time and, despite impressive play during the 2 preseason exhibition games, has pretty much disappeared. If she were able to give a dependable 5-8 minutes right now, that would, IMHO, be a far more important development than Molly's for this year's team.
I am not trying to "spread the love" when I say this, but I really believe Irwin's game has been pretty solid for a freshman. Nothing fancy and she has missed some bunnies. But she does not seem lost when she plays with her peers. Players that do not see a lot of playing time will inevitably look "lost" when they play with the starting unit, IMHO. It is just experience and being comfortable. I agree that her role maybe more important, given the strength of our primary opponents (Baylor, SC etc) is size and post play.

Reaction Score

I've seen numerous posters say that Molly was miles and miles behind Crystal, close to Kyla at the end of the bench, and that would never change especially when next year's freshmen show up. Meanwhile, watching her when she plays (particularly recently), I see her play with very few mistakes and (for the minutes involved) a lot of stat-stuffing in every category but scoring -- kind of like a certain Hoosier from a few years ago.

The difference between Crystal and Molly -- and it is a significant one -- is that Crystal will regularly make spectacularly good plays (an amazing pass or an amazing shot) that Molly will never make. Other than that, they are both freshmen who make freshman mistakes, but for both players there are fewer and fewer of those.

There were more than a few that saw the POTENTIAL of Molly--right now she is getting the Geno nod, that is big, but it does not reflect her true abilities--she can shoot, but does not, her defense requires improvement, but is getting better.
She is STARTING to know where she should be on the floor during offense and defense. I like her passing ability and how she sees the floor--she has thrown few passes into the stands or into the hands of defenders--every player on the team makes a bad pass once in a while. My hope is by the end of the AAC portion of the season--she'll be a fixture on the sub routine. We and Geno knows she is needed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The thing with Geno is that he is a very hard guy to read. The extra Molly minutes could mean:

1) She is getting comfortable with the speed of the game and he is grooming her to spend time at the point in the post season;

2) He is is sending a message to Chong and Crystal Dangerfield to step up their games;

3) He has the opportunity to develop her game during the AAC season, so she is getting more time in practice; or

4) More time for Bent is less time for his key players and he wants to be able to cut back their minutes to make sure they are healthy for post season.

It may well be a little of each.

Reaction Score
Molly should follow the lead of Lou who, as we all know, is not shy of "throwing it up." :rolleyes:
KLS --never had Molly's reticence. But you are more that correct , as usual, in noting (I think) that Molly CAN score.

Reaction Score
The thing with Geno is that he is a very hard guy to read. The extra Molly minutes could mean:

1) She is getting comfortable with the speed of the game and he is grooming her to spend time at the point in the post season;

2) He is is sending a message to Chong and Crystal Dangerfield to step up their games;

3) He has the opportunity to develop her game during the AAC season, so she is getting more time in practice; or

4) More time for Bent is less time for his key players and he wants to be able to cut back their minutes to make sure they are healthy for post season.

It may well be a little of each.
5. All the above. (this is my answer to this quiz)

Reaction Score
The surprise is that he is not talking about other players who could be stepping up!!!
Here he is specifically speaking Molly! You can bet you big bippy that he has more than addressed this in other practices and in private individual sessions. A fool, in Basketball methodology, Geno ain't!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Molly came in to uconn a step or two behind Crystal in hype or in the minds of Fans--Bags said it--she's a different kind of player than Crystal. She is a more steady player who may fill in for Kia. Molly CAN shoot and score--and as you say OLDuDE she is shy of throwing it up--that well end soon-Geno has admonished the subs to start to score. Way too often in the final minutes of game--she is at the top of the circle WIDE open and looking to pass--she has to shoot that shot, she CAN make it,.

She was a shooter, from everywhere, as a HS player. In the brief period she was on UConn's radar before the offer/acceptance (that 10 second interlude) there were 5-6 YouTube highlights and games up on her. She's got the 12 jumper, she has the 3 and it can be a long three. Maybe give her a beer and send her out there.

Reaction Score
She was a shooter, from everywhere, as a HS player. In the brief period she was on UConn's radar before the offer/acceptance (that 10 second interlude) there were 5-6 YouTube highlights and games up on her. She's got the 12 jumper, she has the 3 and it can be a long three. Maybe give her a beer and send her out there.
If all it takes is a Beer --if the Rathskeller (?) is still on Campus --I'll pop for at least ONE. (it's been a lo n g while since I wandered the campus) . The problem with NICE kids is--they are nice --and defer to their SENIOR teammates. Geno recruits a lot of NICE kids--Danger isn't THAT nice. (She'll throw it up).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom