Mohegan Sun Mens Game | The Boneyard

Mohegan Sun Mens Game

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
I haven’t seen this really on the site and was wondering why the women play at Mohegan, XL, and Gampel but the guys only play XL and Gampel. I think it would be great to see them once in a while play there. Why don’t they play at Mohegan ever? Why not early season at least against a non conference game? I’m sure the guys would like that once in a while too instead of the XL center.

Reaction Score
That was part of the Hall of Fame classic, typically the women play in some type of tournament hosted by Mohegan so it’s not technically a home game. The men could accept an invite to a tournament hosted by Mohegan but typically there is better competition going to something like Atlantis or a PK a year it’s being run.

Reaction Score
I think if they are going to play off campus, it would have to be at a bigger place like XL. It's really about maximizing revenue, right?

Reaction Score
mohegan sun hosts the women's big east tournament, so that is part of why the women's team plays there more often.

i also think mohegan sun is just all-in on women's basketball. they like being able to host the connecticut sun (who made it to the wnba finals this year!!) and the best women's cbb team of all team on a regular basis.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
I understand the revenue piece but there are plenty of games (especially when UCONN isn't a top 5 team ) where they play a weaker opponent early season and there are only a few thousand fans. I was just wondering if there was something set in stone why that doesn't happen. It would be a much better experience for players and fans rather than the XL center for some of those games.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
King Of The Hill Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind trying that pre-season Mohegan tournament one of these cycles. I think last year they had UNC, Purdue, Nova and Tennessee? Seems to get good teams and allows us to control our OOC a little more by scheduling a third neutral vs an opponent of our choice or start a H/H.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I know some probably didn’t like it but there were two years in a row they played in Bridgeport (think it was ‘13-‘14 and the following year) and I thought that was a nice venue for a winter break mid-major game. Thought they would continue to pepper those in here and there but nothing since.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If they can put together a preseason tourney where there are top flight programs from around the country coming in, I'd be for it.

A Thanksgiving tourney in New England that can get folks from other parts of the country to see New England's charm for that time of year with plenty enough activities to draw people's attention for 3-4 days is viable.

Otherwise, pass. CT is one of the smallest states geographically. No need to give every venue in a 70 mile radius home games.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I agree, would be nice to sprinkle in at least 1 Mohegan game a season.

I remember attending a Providence UConn game at Mohegan a few years ago. Might have been an exhibition?

I also saw UNC-Purdue at Mohegan last year. That was fun as a neutral. Roy Williams was in the house. Dawson Garcia popped off. A little postgame blackjack as well.
I went a night or 2 before that to gamble with friends and saw Bacot near the roulette table (lol).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom