Modern Takes on Traditional Songs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Modern Takes on Traditional Songs

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Last one for now. This is Eliza Carthy, daughter of Martin Carthy and Norma Waterson. She’s a great fiddler and accordion player in addition to being a great singer.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The reference to Pat a Pan, a Christmas song, recalls to my mind that, with so many Christmas carols and songs being historic or traditional, there are many superb versions out there. Burl Ives comes to mind - and Judy Collins as well - in this category both generally and, with Burl Ives, Christmas.

One of my "Hallmark" Christmas CD's (which I think most of the folks here are old enough to remember ) has the most memorable version of "What Child is This" I have ever heard, but I regretfully don't remember the singer and it is packed away. Also, Harry Belafonte is on one of those CD's with beautiful versions of several traditional carols.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Here is an old sea shanty thought to be from 18th century British sailors. Leadbelly was the first to record it in the 1940s. This is a more recent version.

Reaction Score
The Hooters are a Philly band that was popular in the 80s. The song "500 miles" goes back a long ways, but this band decided to add a ska beat to it, which makes it even more mournful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom