Modern basketball offense | The Boneyard

Modern basketball offense

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This Shot Chart from the ASU - Vandy game is insane. https://i.redd.it/krkhj8w22o401.jpg

In the comments there is a pointer to a Dan D'Antoni interview where he talks about the analytics.

Dunks, layups, 3 pointers (from the corner is best) or free throws. Nothing else. But it sure is ugly basketball to my eyes.

Looking at our roster, Larrier likes the midrange shots, as does Adams. So our two best scorers take the least efficient shots. Anderson has taken several as well. Vital does seem to be a 3 point or layup kind of guy.

Reaction Score
Conspicuously lacking the Adams/Larrier special (also a favorite of team- and coach-killer Carmelo Anthony): the pullup 18-footer between the FT and 3-point lines.

Mid-range game is something old people lament the absence of, but the modern take is correct -- it's not a very good shot.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Conspicuously lacking the Adams/Larrier special (also a favorite of team- and coach-killer Carmelo Anthony): the pullup 18-footer between the FT and 3-point lines.

Mid-range game is something old people lament the absence of, but the modern take is correct -- it's not a very good shot.

Agreed. Which is why I'd rather get rid of the three point shot. Then it would become a good shot again.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
There was an article in ESPN magazine by Peter Keating that provided similar analysis. In addition to layups and threes being good shots so are catch and shoots. Shots coming off the dribble are much lower percentage. UConn takes a lot of shots off the dribble. The worst shot in bball right now is the head fake 3 take one dribble and shoot a long 2.

Reaction Score
There was an article in ESPN magazine by Peter Keating that provided similar analysis. In addition to layups and threes being good shots so are catch and shoots. Shots coming off the dribble are much lower percentage. UConn takes a lot of shots off the dribble. The worst shot in bball right now is the head fake 3 take one dribble and shoot a long 2.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
That's the shot although he made it. You know what's funny(or not) is watch Polley on the play. He should either be crashing the boards or getting back on D. Then I watched Anderson which was even worse.

Reaction Score
That type of basketball is bleh to me. But you have got to love watching teams like the warriors, celts, and spurs. The former two are very analytics driven.

I think the analytics are awesome, but you cant rely on it come championship time to some extent. Because a good team will force you to what youre not good at, and you have to be able to pull out the W

Reaction Score
That's the shot although he made it. You know what's funny(or not) is watch Polley on the play. He should either be crashing the boards or getting back on D. Then I watched Anderson which was even worse.

Yikes! 3 players beyond the three-point arc when Jalen hucks up that long two pointer…you would think at least one of them would charge in looking to crash the boards for a put back dunk? Unfortunately that's what the hero ball offense can breed...lethargy by the players not getting the ball.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That shot chart is insane.

When I first saw the title of the thread, I thought we were going to see LeBron going full speed at someone and the defender get called for the blocking foul. LOL.

I watched some clips of the game, and it was dunk city by ASU. They did something I like to see, if you get inside the circle under the rim, dunk. Don't try to loft it over somebody, go through them....they cannot get a charge call. Dunk it.

Reaction Score
That type of basketball is bleh to me. But you have got to love watching teams like the warriors, celts, and spurs. The former two are very analytics driven.

I think the analytics are awesome, but you cant rely on it come championship time to some extent. Because a good team will force you to what youre not good at, and you have to be able to pull out the W
BINGO! The problem with these types of analyses is that they analyze what worked best given what you did, as if the system or situation is static. But if you change what you do, the defense changes what they do and then the results, in terms of what is best, will change. Take the higher ROI shot most of the time but you need to be able to score from anywhere to keep the defense honest so as to open up those high ROI shots.

What people are attempting to do here is to optimize the system. The problem is that the system itself can adapt in these cases. As such, optimization requires iteration.

Reaction Score
Yikes! 3 players beyond the three-point arc when Jalen hucks up that long two pointer…you would think at least one of them would charge in looking to crash the boards for a put back dunk? Unfortunately that's what the hero ball offense can breed...lethargy by the players not getting the ball.
You and D.J. 2.0 are spot ON! This crap has to be beaten out of the players. They are bad habits created by AAU ball and lazy high school coaches who pander to the "heros". Geno beats it out of his players. To the people who think it is a totally different game, well, THIS is something that translates. Excellence is a habit. If you don't force the players to do the right thing every time, they will just do what they want to do until it doesn't work and they try to "turn it on". That will work against Columbia but not a team that is much better than that.

Watching crap like this in a local high school game drives me nuts. There is zero excuse for this to happen at the college level. You don't want to know what I scream at my TV when I see stuff like this. My son is out 6-8 weeks with his broken collarbone so he is starting to watch the game more like a coach than a player with tunnel vision. When he comes home after practice he now says, "do you know what I saw when we were watching tape of the last game?" The thing is, at the high school level, you can win a lot of games letting your best players play hero ball. But you can't win championships!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom