MNT's 2021 | The Boneyard

MNT's 2021

Reaction Score
On the heels of a 7-0 opening match against (a very reduced) T&T - I figured we could put the failing thread behind and look forward to an important 2021 for the Yanks. Here's how the radar looks:

March - Olympic Qualifying
March - Nations League Semi & Finals
July - Gold Cup
Sep - World Cup Qualifying
Oct - World Cup Qualifying
Nov - World Cup Qualifying

octogon.jpg

Obviously things are subject to change due to Covid, but, with the U-23's and multiple tournaments this year, we should get a good luck at a majority of our player pool. I, for one, am pretty excited!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I hope GB puts what he currently sees as his best XI on the field in the Nations Cup. I'd rather not see a revolving door at positions that should already be locked down looking for guys who will only play if someone gets hurt. I want to see the top guys getting used to playing together.

Reaction Score
There are a number of different squads that need to be put together. The WC team, the U-23 team and the Olympic team which is (I believe) mostly U-23 with three over 23 players allowed. There also seems to be teenager popping up every few weeks who should be looked at. Tough to narrow it down right now.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see the WC team start to form and jell - hopefully we can get a better look at the euro based yanks in March. @Palatine you are correct re: olympic team. so much young talent, so many games for them to shine!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We should be building for 2026. Start with anyone who will be age appropriate and has demkstrated sufficient skill and replace those who aren't quite ready to compete at the international level with the older guys. Anyone over 23 isn't likely an option for 2026. Most of those aren't that good anyway.

Reaction Score
Little worried that these friendlies against lower tier teams, like Norther Ireland and T&T, that results in big wins for the USMNT are going to set-up the players and fans for a shock when they step on the pitch with Mexico and away games at Costa Rica (urine bags anyone) and Jamaica.

Reaction Score
We should be building for 2026. Start with anyone who will be age appropriate and has demkstrated sufficient skill and replace those who aren't quite ready to compete at the international level with the older guys. Anyone over 23 isn't likely an option for 2026. Most of those aren't that good anyway.
It seems a little drastic to exclude anyone who will be over 28 in 2026 given that in 2018 the French had six players 29+ and the Croats had ten. Talent is a separate issue...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It seems a little drastic to exclude anyone who will be over 28 in 2026 given that in 2018 the French had six players 29+ and the Croats had ten. Talent is a separate issue...
I agree. You play your best players, they can develop on their own time.

Reaction Score
Anyone else a bit nervous about the decrease in playing time that Pulisic has had recently at Chelsea. His injury issues, combined with Covd-19 impacts, and a new coach in Tuchel have me a bit concerned. Of course, I'm sure he could find some playing time on the other side of the river with Arsenal :)

Reaction Score
Anyone else a bit nervous about the decrease in playing time that Pulisic has had recently at Chelsea. His injury issues, combined with Covd-19 impacts, and a new coach in Tuchel have me a bit concerned. Of course, I'm sure he could find some playing time on the other side of the river with Arsenal :)

Nope. They've been playing a lot of games. He's committed to the team and he'll be hungry and rested. Chelsea is a mess right now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I got the feeling Tuchel wasn’t a Pulisic fan when they were at Dortmund.

Reaction Score
I got the feeling Tuchel wasn’t a Pulisic fan when they were at Dortmund.

I'm also worried by the amount o money spent on the otehr players at Chelsea. There will be pressure to play them over Pulisic.

Reaction Score

Definitely cause for concern but not hitting the panic button.

Tuchel changed Pulisic’s position. He wants him to play as second false striker or some BS like that. Pulisic is better on the outside. End of.

What Lampard got wrong was having the wrong combinations of players on the field. He might have had the best players on paper out there but the play styles didn’t always complement each other. Tuchel is trying not to fall in that trap I think. Unfortunately Pulisic might be the odd man out for the moment. Whenever there is a coaching change you will see an immediate and often temporary boost in performance because everyone suddenly starts trying there best to prove themselves to the new guy. So I suspect that things will change in a few weeks as the squad settles back into the norm.

Chelsea is also kind of loaded. No matter what lineup is put out there, someone is getting left out.

Tuchel also doesn’t last long in jobs. Rightly or wrongly he wore out his welcome at Dortmund. He also did the same at PSG. And Chelsea is Chelsea.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tuchel had been gone since 2017.
At the end of Tuchel tenure. Look, you can try to pick all the nits you want but I watched a ton of Dortmund back then where Tuchel had CP on the bench when healthy.

Reaction Score
So the situation with Pulisic is becoming more clear.

It sounds like it’s really not up to Tuchel, he indicated in the media that his future wasn’t totally up to him and urged Pulisic to fight to prove that he belongs.

Meanwhile Pulisic had been linked to a summer move. If Chelsea sets their mind on that then you can expect Pulisic to play very sparingly. They will want to keep him healthy for a sale.

While none of this is a foregone conclusion, it doesn’t sound good. It sounds like Chelsea doesn’t like his injury history.

Reaction Score
At the end of Tuchel tenure. Look, you can try to pick all the nits you want but I watched a ton of Dortmund back then where Tuchel had CP on the bench when healthy.

I am pretty certain you are confused. As usual. You didn’t even know that he had left.

Pulisic was a big part of the team. He was starting pretty regularly and was still very young.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I am pretty certain you are confused. As usual. You didn’t even know that he had left.

Pulisic was a big part of the team. He was starting pretty regularly and was still very young.
I was watching all his games back then. I knew when Tuchal had left for PSG real time. I remember CP not getting run at the end of his reign. I didn't go back and check notes. And my memory fits with the current situation. Sorry you don't agree but being called confused by you is like being called ugly by a frog.

Reaction Score
I was watching all his games back then. I knew when Tuchal had left for PSG real time. I remember CP not getting run at the end of his reign. I didn't go back and check notes. And my memory fits with the current situation. Sorry you don't agree but being called confused by you is like being called ugly by a frog.

So was I. And what happened then is not relevant to now.

His current situation is that his club wants to keep their options open for the summer and it’s easier to sell a healthy Pulisic instead of an injured one.

The manager doesn’t make those calls at Chelsea. What Tuchel wants is irrelevant. The final nail in Lampard’s coffin was a disagreement over transfer plans.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The manager doesn’t make those calls at Chelsea. What Tuchel wants is irrelevant. The final nail in Lampard’s coffin was a disagreement over transfer plans.
So you are saying Pulisic will not play the rest of the season in order to protect his transfer value?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom