MLS Playoffs | The Boneyard

MLS Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And the field is set... Red Bulls win the Supporters Shield, and they, along with Dallas, Vancouver, and Columbus get a first round bye. There were some big results last night with playoff and seeding implications. KC with a big win, coupled with a San Jose loss puts them in the playoffs. Montreal's win over Toronto and Columbus pasting DC United completely flipped the seeding for the east.

There are some pretty tasty first round match ups.
East #4 DC United v #5 New England...winner gets East #1 NY Red Bulls
East #3 Montreal v #6 Toronto (rematch of the regular season finale)... winner gets East #2 Columbus

West #4 Seattle v West #5 LA Galaxy...winner gets West #1 Dallas
West #3 Portland v West #6 Sporting KC... winner gets West #2 Vancouver

Reaction Score
Still can't believe KC dropped all the way to a six seed. They actually won more games against playoff teams than non-playoff teams. My fiance was dutifully in my seats last night and she said the Steven Gerrard was "like a useless statue, only slower".

I thought it was cool that they played all the final games at the same time. Maybe a little contrived because it's not single table and there isn't pro/rel.

DC against NE looks better on paper than it will actually be.
Montreal and Toronto could be really good. Drogba has transformed Montreal, but even still, their payroll is a fraction of Toronto's. A lot of hatred developing between those two Canadian fanbases.

Seattle vs. LA has to be the most intriguing match up nationally. LA isn't the LA of last season and they don't have the Landycakes this year. Seattle should kick them in the teeth, but anything could happen.

PDX and KC have played three times this year. 1 goal has been scored. This match could see penalties.

Going to predict Red Bulls and Vancouver in the finals at Red Bull Arena.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
They originally had the East games kick off at 4 and the West games at 7, but then they moved the NYRB game up so it would be concurrent with the Dallas game. Good move.

Red Bulls winning the Shield is a major story, or should be given the way expectations were lowered at the beginning of the season post-Thierry Henry and with a new manager. There were stories that the parent company was losing interest and NYCFC would take all the oxygen out of the room. I guess that's still possible down the road but it didn't happen this year.

Reaction Score
They originally had the East games kick off at 4 and the West games at 7, but then they moved the NYRB game up so it would be concurrent with the Dallas game. Good move.

Red Bulls winning the Shield is a major story, or should be given the way expectations were lowered at the beginning of the season post-Thierry Henry and with a new manager. There were stories that the parent company was losing interest and NYCFC would take all the oxygen out of the room. I guess that's still possible down the road but it didn't happen this year.

The Red Bulls flew under the radar locally and just went about their business, impressive.

Any word on if/when NYCFC will get a stadium?

Reaction Score

The Red Bulls flew under the radar locally and just went about their business, impressive.

Any word on if/when NYCFC will get a stadium?

I have no idea what it would it take to get the NY Sports media to finally give the Red Bulls some love. But winning two trophies in one year still might not be enough.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what it would it take to get the NY Sports media to finally give the Red Bulls some love. But winning two trophies in one year still might not be enough.

Except for the Jets and Giants (likely because there are no NFL teams in NYC proper) NYC media gives very little love to anything that happens on the west side of the river. The Devils may appear on the scoreboard under the Rangers highlights. The Nets were so desperate they moved to Brooklyn. Won't even bother to mention Rutgers, who only gets in the news for bad reasons or because Ohio St is coming to town, while Seton Hall is a distant memory.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Galaxy - out.
TFC - out (less surprising).
New England - out.
SKC - out (sorry @ZooCougar )

Gonna have to watch the highlights of the Timbers-Sporting match later today, went to bed last night in the second half but from reading the report it sounds like a doozy.

Reaction Score
Galaxy - out.
TFC - out (less surprising).
New England - out.
SKC - out (sorry @ZooCougar )

Gonna have to watch the highlights of the Timbers-Sporting match later today, went to bed last night in the second half but from reading the report it sounds like a doozy.

Those penalty kicks last night were crazy.

I would be more bummed if they hadn't won the US Open Cup already.

Reaction Score
DC v NYRB
Montreal v Columbus
Portland v Vancouver
Seattle v Dallas

Let's go Crew!

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We got Geigered. Solidaridad con Panama.

It's been a sad soccer life lately (USNT, "Hartford City FC," now the Revs).

Reaction Score
Nice result for the Crew, 2-0 going back to NJ. Great opening goal in the first 11 seconds.

Reaction Score
Crewwwwww! Happy for them. Sets up a Columbus v Portland final at Crew Stadium nex weekend. To quote Wiz Khalifa "Reppin' my town when you see me you know everything... Black and yellow , black and yellow, black and yellow, black and yellow "

Reaction Score
That stadium will be live for the game (as it would be in PDX, too). Looking forward to Sunday - and hopefully a showcase to make Nagbe a soccer household name

Reaction Score
Small market vs. mid market. In a way it's a victory for those guys because the league is fixated on promoting the DPs like Lampard, Gerrard etc.. and neither of these teams will ever sign a guy like that and they don't need to in order to be competitive.

I loathe Portland's fans though, they are like an obnoxious beard and flannel explosion. But I have to pull for the team that knocked SKC out.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Small market vs. mid market. In a way it's a victory for those guys because the league is fixated on promoting the DPs like Lampard, Gerrard etc.. and neither of these teams will ever sign a guy like that and they don't need to in order to be competitive.

I loathe Portland's fans though, they are like an obnoxious beard and flannel explosion. But I have to pull for the team that knocked SKC out.
The Guardian wrote up attitudes towards PTFC with the article titled... wait for it... Tofu and Tifos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom