MLS Club to follow?? | The Boneyard

MLS Club to follow??

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I must admit that every season, I get excited to watch MLS because it starts usually on the heels of the Premier League ending and then I watch a few games and realize how vast the gap is in quality! However, after looking through some rosters and news for the upcoming season I think I'm gonna become a pseudo Orlando City fan.

They have two UConn products in Larin and Cascio plus they have an 18 year old Tyler Turner who is from Meriden, Connecticut. So why not!

I usually pulled for Portland because I liked how they did things and their fans looked crazy. However, their games were always on at 10:30 which is way past my bed time!

So who you got as your club?

Reaction Score
I root for the Red Bulls as they play close by in Harrison NJ (across the river from Newark and on the PATH subway line to Manhattan); but, I strongly dislike their name and am worried about the commitment that their owners currently have. I was going to change to NYC FC; but, that team has turned into a disaster (no stadium, ownership saying player X will play for NYC only for the player to show-up on Man City's roster, etc.) before they even play a game. I would like to Revs; but, I cannot root for a team owned by Robert 'backstabbing' Kraft. I like the Philadelphia Union, too; but, the Red Bulls are simply closer.

Reaction Score
Obviously I like Sporting, which is a no brainer because I live so close by. But if I were anywhere else, I would be a Portland fan.

There are "big" teams such as LA, Seattle, Toronto and maybe even Red Bulls that seem to buy talent or the league just magically allocates them said players.

Then there are teams like Portland, SKC, Columbus and a few others that improve through the draft or by signing younger talent. The nice thing about MLS is that teams can still reach the upper echelons through development. Toronto spends more money than anyone and they have never made the playoffs.

My advice is this: Pick a club that is close by and make some plans to go to some games against some good competition. I took my girlfriend to see Sporting play LA Galaxy after the World Cup. It was a probably one of the best matches of the year at home and she was addicted after that.

Just be warned that the CBA talks are ongoing, and they aren't going so well. There is possibility of a strike because the sticking point is free agency.

Reaction Score
Hartford should have an MLS team. F Bob Kraft

Hartford, though the using the Rent maybe feasible, is far behind the MLS wish list, even if some of those teams are highly suspect (NYC FC, Atlanta, Miami, LA #2). Plus, with a team in Boston (sort of) and 2 teams soon to be in NYC, no chance that will happen, especially with Bob Kraft being very close to MLS leadership.

Reaction Score
Hartford, though the using the Rent maybe feasible, is far behind the MLS wish list, even if some of those teams are highly suspect (NYC FC, Atlanta, Miami, LA #2). Plus, with a team in Boston (sort of) and 2 teams soon to be in NYC, no chance that will happen, especially with Bob Kraft being very close to MLS leadership.

St. Louis is in the mix now. Along with San Antonio, Minneapolis, Miami, Sacramento and Vegas.

Reaction Score
Why doesn't Phoenix have an MLS team ?
Probably as many soccer fans per capita as any city in the country plus there are
4-5 million people in the greater Phoenix area.
Mesa has more people than some towns with franchises.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I've like DC United since the leagues inception. Not sure why, just picked them. I've been to quite a few Revs game since I live up here in MA. My wife likes them. We've been to a few DC-NE games, each of us in our teams uniforms. We get some looks. :confused:

Reaction Score
Why doesn't Phoenix have an MLS team ?
Probably as many soccer fans per capita as any city in the country plus there are
4-5 million people in the greater Phoenix area.
Mesa has more people than some towns with franchises.

If Phx has a owner that wants to spend the $100 mil expansion fee and a valid plan to build a soccer specific stadium then they can be in the discussion.

Reaction Score
If Phx has a owner that wants to spend the $100 mil expansion fee and a valid plan to build a soccer specific stadium then they can be in the discussion.

Well, Glendale has that 19K indoor arena that is home to a hockey team that only the NHL wants there (Coyotes - 13K average per game, #28 out of 30 teams). Maybe they could use it for soccer, too?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I might start rooting for the Galaxy once Gerrard gets there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom