OT: - Mizzou's Sophie Cunningham | The Boneyard

OT: Mizzou's Sophie Cunningham

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Here's our gal Sophie who's beginning her junior year. Get out of her way SEC because she cannot be stopped.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yes. She may end up as road-kill :rolleyes:

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Actually, I think she is covering her ass cheeks with the road, which is probably a good thing :oops:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Here's our gal Sophie who's beginning her junior year. Get out of her way SEC because she cannot be stopped.

Sophie shared the 2015 Show-Me State Basketball Award with Napheesa Collier. They both were expected to attend U. Mo. Their personalities seem to differ a bit. ;)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Sophie shared the 2015 Show-Me State Basketball Award with Napheesa Collier. They both were expected to attend U. Mo. Their personalities seem to differ a bit. ;)
Napheesa thought she might attend Mizzou because she did not think she was talented enough to get an offer from Uconn. She stated she was surprised when she received her offer from Uconn. Her high school team played Cunningham's team at least three to four times during their high school careers. Napheesa's Incarnate Word team won each time. One year as a class five team. The following year Incarnate Word dropped to class four because of an enrollment drop. They continued to play and beat class five teams in the regular season and dominated the class four teams in the State Tournament. Incarnate usually played Cunningham's Columbia Rockbridge school once in an in-season tourney and in the State Tournament. Per my memory they won each time. I could tell Cunningham would be exceptional when I saw her play her freshman year. I watched her all four of her high school seasons. She was fearless and very good. She even impressed my oldest granddaughter who is not easily impressed.

Reaction Score
Are we sure that she didn't fall on the road while walking to the beach and tried to put a good face on it :)

Reaction Score
Wow nice picture..... There is something I like about Sophie, but I just can't put my finger on it!!!!

The few times I have seen Mizzou, I have liked her game... Quite a talent.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Napheesa thought she might attend Mizzou because she did not think she was talented enough to get an offer from Uconn. She stated she was surprised when she received her offer from Uconn. Her high school team played Cunningham's team at least three to four times during their high school careers. Napheesa's Incarnate Word team won each time. One year as a class five team. The following year Incarnate Word dropped to class four because of an enrollment drop. They continued to play and beat class five teams in the regular season and dominated the class four teams in the State Tournament. Incarnate usually played Cunningham's Columbia Rockbridge school once in an in-season tourney and in the State Tournament. Per my memory they won each time. I could tell Cunningham would be exceptional when I saw her play her freshman year. I watched her all four of her high school seasons. She was fearless and very good. She even impressed my oldest granddaughter who is not easily impressed.

I find it strange Naphessa felt that way. Intense Humility I guess. From what I recall, she was already excelling in USA International Tournaments and getting accolades from the National Coaches Looking up the details,

HIGH SCHOOL NOTES: Was the 2014 Missouri Gatorade Player of the Year as a junior after leading Incarnate Word Academy of St. Louis to a 31-1 record and the Missouri Class 4 state title by averaging 23.7 points, 9.7 rebounds, and 4.2 steals. In the state championship game she had 33 points, nine rebounds and five steals to lead the Red Knights to a 60-43 win over Dexter at Mizzou Arena. Was the 2014 Missouri Basketball Coaches Association (MBCA) Class 4 Player of the Year ... Helped Incarnate Word earn a perfect 31-0 state championship season as a sophomore by averaging 24.6 points, 11.9 rebounds, and 4.0 steals and was the Metro Women's Athletic Association Player of the Year ... Played her freshman year at Jefferson City High School where she averaged 17.9 points, 9.9 rebounds, 4.7 assists, and 3.7 steals.

USA BASKETBALL NOTES: Has won two gold medals in international competition ... Teamed with fellow UConn recruits De'Janae Boykin and Katie Lou Samuelson in August to win gold (3x3 competition) at the 2014 Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing, China ... Was member of the 2014 national team that posted a 5-0 record and won the 2014 FIBA Americas U-18 tournament title in Colorado Springs and qualified Team USA for the 2015 FIBA?U-19 world championships. Started four of five games and averaged 14.0 points and team-high 8.6 rebounds along with 3.4 assists and 1.6 steals.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
eebmg, she stated that in an interview with a St. Louis Post Dispatch reporter during her senior season at Incarnate Word. She was pretty humble during her time in St. Louis. Humble and very good.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
eebmg, she stated that in an interview with a St. Louis Post Dispatch reporter during her senior season at Incarnate Word. She was pretty humble during her time in St. Louis. Humble and very good.

In rereading the comment, I guess she probably felt she was good enough to get multiple top 10 team offers but not UConn. In that circumstance, rather than go to a more generic top 10 team, it would make sense to consider Mizzou as a home town pick with Sophie on the team and see if they can make them elite. I wonder if that combination which may have also led to more elite recruits could put them on top of the SEC (probably behind SC in second) ?. Thank goodness that did not happen.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Collier added to Cunningham and Porter would have made Mizzou a big threat to SC. They beat SC without having Collier. Porter is 6'4" and the sister of the number one 2017 boys recruit. She is a stretch four and she is good. If Collier had signed with Mizzou, maybe Sutton would also have stayed home and committed. She is now at Texas. Mizzou would certainly have won a lot more games.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score

If only Pheese had decided to attend her in-state university, Mizzou, we might have been unbeatable. Good luck to both of these talented show-me (probably Sophie more so than Pheese.) women.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I love the way Sophie gets after it. She has a bit of a loose cannon aspect to her at times but she is the type of player that doesn't quit and I appreciate that.

Reaction Score
I kind of like those Mizzou uniforms.

Of course when I first started watching women's basketball in HS the girls had to wear woolen knee length skirts, and 2 players weren't allowed to cross mid-court on offense. I guess that makes two things I like more about the current women's game.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
If only Pheese had decided to attend her in-state university, Mizzou, we might have been unbeatable. Good luck to both of these talented show-me (probably Sophie more so than Pheese.) women.

Maybe not unbeatable, but we would have been even better. As someone who roots for both UConn (a state I lived in for 38 years) and my alma mater, Mizzou, I had mixed emotions. But I knew Collier couldn't turn down a Connecticut offer... she was just too good to fly under Geno's radar.

Mizzou looks solid this year -- if we can avoid injuries. Robin knows how to use her bench -- and this year she'll have one! If our point guard play comes up a level and we can reduce the turnovers, we'll be very good. The SEC tourney is here in Nashville next year and I'm looking forward to it -- plus the Vandy game.

First I have to get through football season, though. But I'm feeling a little more optimistic about it after hearing some good reports from folks who've watched the practices. We're picked to finish last in the East, so we can't underperform, LOL.

Reaction Score
Pheese made a very fortunate decision by choosing UConn . Mizzou U. is in a mess as a university. The president & sports AD have resigned. Last year the football team voted to go on strike & not play it's upcoming game. Two dorm's have been shut because of the lack of incoming of freshman. The the Alumni are up in arms, refusing to support the School & it's sports programs. All attendance is down 30%. The university got involved with racial politics & gave in to all demands. Mizzou seems to have imploded.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Pheese made a very fortunate decision by choosing UConn . Mizzou U. is in a mess as a university. The president & sports AD have resigned. Last year the football team voted to go on strike & not play it's upcoming game. Two dorm's have been shut because of the lack of incoming of freshman. The the Alumni are up in arms, refusing to support the School & it's sports programs. All attendance is down 30%. The university got involved with racial politics & gave in to all demands. Mizzou seems to have imploded.
Things are starting to change for the good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom